The Big Renfrewshire Derby: Greenock Morton v The Spoon-Burners

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1439822070.003096.jpg

Mr Maggenis is a notorious walloper.

The only reason he bought 250 is cause his mother uses the other 249 for nappies.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1439822165.108077.jpg

Ugh, this was slightly original when it was done about 12 years ago.

To be fair to the lad though, he's only about 19 and it will undoubtedly be his first league Renfrewshire derby....can't blame him for getting a wee bit excited.

Morton fans with a penchant for ludicrously hyping ex-defenders in the hope of them slithering back to the club (see Dyer, Willie) would be devastated. For that reason alone I'd welcome that development.

ralphs-heart.gif

I'm looking forward to Friday - just wish we were all in the cowshed again.

Favourite goals at Cappielow are:

3. Brian Hetherston circa 1996 scored the third in the rain during a 3-1 victory.

2. Barry Lavety scissor kick in his first derby game after his ecstasy suspension. Big Yards scored the other two.

1. Mark Yardley's last ever goal for us making it 3-2 after being 2 nil down, with only 10 men. Same day as Scotland drew with the faroes.

Bring it on!

I'm looking forward to Friday - just wish we were all in the cowshed again.

Favourite goals at Cappielow are:

3. Brian Hetherston circa 1996 scored the third in the rain during a 3-1 victory.

2. Barry Lavety scissor kick in his first derby game after his ecstasy suspension. Big Yards scored the other two.

1. Mark Yardley's last ever goal for us making it 3-2 after being 2 nil down, with only 10 men. Same day as Scotland drew with the faroes.

Bring it on!

Last time I was at Cappielow. Looking forward to seeing how much it's changed over the last 13 years.

I remember that 3-2 game I think. Was that Yardley goal not a pure belter? If not, I'm thinking of something else. Pretty sure I'm right though.

Yeah. He beat about 4 players. But that figure increases everytime it gets mentioned, once heard someone claim it was 9 men he beat. :lol:

Simon Lappin also ripped the net with his equaliser that day.

That's the first derby I remember. I was pretty close to the McArthur and fat b*****d incident, and didn't understand why it wasn't fat b*****d who was sent off.

I liked this one. See Duffield's overhead kick and McArthur punching one of them in the balls.

I remember Allan Combe was allegedly out on the bevvy the night before this match and was taking pelters the entire match. At one point he offered his gloves to a supporter as if you say 'you go in goals instead'

Why do you ask? Are we looking at him?

Aye on loan apparently. Can't be good for Naismith. Best case scenario a knee twist and he'll be out for a month or so?. Worst case scenario ligament damage and we'll be lucky to see him again this season.

Having watched the game on Saturday, I am fearful for Friday.

We have started all 3 competitive games too slow. Morton will come at us the way Rangers did, can't afford to feel our way into the game on Friday. Will be blood and thunder from the first minute. I think McMullan and Morgan's pace will do damage on the counter though.

I don't think Morton will have a better chance of beating us, the team look very young,naive and vulnerable. Murray needs to get the experienced pros in to help them.

I remember that 3-2 game I think. Was that Yardley goal not a pure belter? If not, I'm thinking of something else. Pretty sure I'm right though.

A goal of orgasmic proportions. Morton will have had that on tape, probably burned straight after the match . Pretty sure that was his last goal for us too.

I remember Allan Combe was allegedly out on the bevvy the night before this match and was taking pelters the entire match. At one point he offered his gloves to a supporter as if you say 'you go in goals instead'

He's wearing trackie bottoms, never a good sign.

I remember the team came back out for the second half about five minutes earlier. Tony F then came out on to the pitch to rally the troops and the fans and everyone seemed really up for it - until Duffield scored that goal about two minutes into the half!

Aye on loan apparently. Can't be good for Naismith. Best case scenario a knee twist and he'll be out for a month or so?. Worst case scenario ligament damage and we'll be lucky to see him again this season.

We have started all 3 competitive games too slow. Morton will come at us the way Rangers did, can't afford to feel our way into the game on Friday. Will be blood and thunder from the first minute. I think McMullan and Morgan's pace will do damage on the counter though.

I don't think Morton will have a better chance of beating us, the team look very young,naive and vulnerable. Murray needs to get the experienced pros in to help them.

A goal of orgasmic proportions. Morton will have had that on tape, probably burned straight after the match . Pretty sure that was his last goal for us too.

Reid is a good player. He was probably one of the better ones from the we came 2nd in the league. I reckon he'd do a good job for you lot if he was to come.

Also, Morgan is a greenock boy through and through so he will be doing no such damage to his local team.

Archived