2015/16 FA Cup

At least this should spell the end for Martinez. Every cloud etc.

This. His only saving grace this season would've been an FA Cup win.

Can see the new shareholder throwing daft money this summer at a manager.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Van Gaal is an insufferable c**t.

Really enjoyed that game, thought Everton were unlucky given that on another day they could have scored two or three in the second half.

IMO there's an argument the foul from Herrera deserves more than a yellow, totally professional foul and is one of my big annoyances in football.

This. His only saving grace this season would've been an FA Cup win.

Can see the new shareholder throwing daft money this summer at a manager.

Does Rafa Benitez still have his house on the Wirral? He did when he went to Napoli. Imagine the seethe if Everton appointed him!

Pretty clear penalty, the defender goes through the back of Barkley first before winning the ball, you can see his legs have already been taken out before the ball is won.

Stones is still a liability. And the problem for him is that Martinez is the worst possible manager to have to try and iron out his mistakes. It used to be that defenders first and foremost could, well, defend. And if they could come out and play from the back that was a bonus and was what put you in the elite bracket of defenders. Now it seems that the priority is being able to glide out from the back with the ball, and actually being able to defend is an optional extra.

Not that this will be news to anyone but for someone who was classed as an expensive panic buy, Utd must rebuild around Martial. He's got the potential to be something really special.

Yup, hes an outstanding talent considering hes still only 20. Seems to have completely slipped off the radar due to Rashford though

What did he say? I had to watch the game with the sound off.

Spent virtually the whole interview saying the ref gave every decision to Everton. The man is totally devoid of any class. 

He`s presumably forgotten the awful deciison when ManU equalised late on at home to West Ham in the Quarter Final tie.

Van Gaal is an arse but that's an absurd criticism - shit refereeing in one game has nothing to do with a referee being poor in the next round. There's no reason why a manager should have to list all the decisions they've benefited from in the past before claiming that the referee was crap in a single match.

It was hardly a seriously biased display but the two major penalty calls were given the wrong way round IMO: that could still have had a huge impact on the game were it not for the late winner.

Yup, hes an outstanding talent considering hes still only 20. Seems to have completely slipped off the radar due to Rashford though

No bad thing for him tbf.....always better to develop quietly whilst English media w**k themselves dry over a player who runs around a lot n scores a few

Entertaining game but the quality in general was poor . Everton were poor and still could have won the thing . I would still hold judgement on Martial , he looks a good one but he was on a makeshift full back today in an awful defence.

An awful lot of the Everton team played poorly .

No bad thing for him tbf.....always better to develop quietly whilst English media w**k themselves dry over a player who runs around a lot n scores a few

I'm not the first to make the comparison by any means but there's so much in Martials game that reminds me of Thierry Henry in his days before he moved into the middle for Arsenal. Fast, direct, skillful and constantly threatening. He's more of a powerhouse than Henry was at that age as well.

He was really awful in this game .

He's been not very good all season. Another great white hope that the English media have stuck on the pedestal off the back of a decent season and doesn't really have the staying power for whatever reason.

They are absolutely desperate for their youth setup in the country to produce a player of world class quality and it's just not happening. Guys like Stones, Barkley, Wilshere, Walcott who'll will or have hit the glass ceiling of being pretty good early and won't kick on from there.

Rashford will likely go through the same route.

He's been not very good all season. Another great white hope that the English media have stuck on the pedestal off the back of a decent season and doesn't really have the staying power for whatever reason.

They are absolutely desperate for their youth setup in the country to produce a player of world class quality and it's just not happening. Guys like Stones, Barkley, Wilshere, Walcott who'll will or have hit the glass ceiling of being pretty good early and won't kick on from there.

Rashford will likely go through the same route.

It obviously depends on the quality of development. There was an interesting swipe within a general article on Everton's fail in The Guardian IIRC, suggesting that Barkley has been allowed to spend far too much time in the gym becoming a stronger but ultimately less mobile mess of a player. Technically gifted English players do seem to break through at quite an early stage right now, then just plateau at best from there. Rashford's route is surely going to be closed down more by Mourinho, possibly Zlatan and a few other more trusted names moving ahead of him in the pecking order.

As much as Martinez has been fawned over for 'developing' young players I'm not sure how many have actually reached a genuine higher level under him: the McCarthys etc. at Wigan always had talent, yet none of the current Everton midfielders and attackers are reliably effective against any opposition, never mind good teams. Mirallas has absolutely tanked in the last few years under Martinez's watch and yet is still at the club.

IMO there's an argument the foul from Herrera deserves more than a yellow, totally professional foul and is one of my big annoyances in football.

quite a few people say that every year, i agree, if you grab an opponents shirt like that there is no way you can claim to be going for the ball, should be a straight red imo, see if that cuts it out

be different if two of you are running side by side grappling each other, but that one last night was just ridiculous

Van Gaal is an arse but that's an absurd criticism - shit refereeing in one game has nothing to do with a referee being poor in the next round. There's no reason why a manager should have to list all the decisions they've benefited from in the past before claiming that the referee was crap in a single match.

It was hardly a seriously biased display but the two major penalty calls were given the wrong way round IMO: that could still have had a huge impact on the game were it not for the late winner.

We agree Van Gaal is an arse.

I`m not expecting him to list benificial decisions. That would indeed be absurd.

Really just hoping that he could win with a bit of grace and professionalism. I`m just using the example I gave to highlight that all teams are subject to good and bad performances by officials. 

Archived