By election updates

Mr Rational

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Thank you for mansplaining that. I didn't become Doctor Oaky by submitting academic papers to the Beano you know. 😁

You could just have said " You know what Oaky? You are right. Detour thingy was wrong to suggest it was the BMJ who wrote these things"

I didn't say they write the papers. They publish them and put them through an editorial process. 

If they were at all wrong about this there would be billionaire funded think tanks like the IEA howling to the Moon about it. The silence from that direction tells you the figures are spot on. 

I have a university account - I'm not interested in you seeking my approval, I just wanted to read your papers. It'd be the first time I've encountered someone that's published something they don't want to be read and I've been in academia for nigh on 20 year.
You'll find them under Mitty, W.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Mind you, this article was an exercise in statistics, not science.

Just off the top of my head, Quantum \ Wave Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics are all disciplines of physics pretty much founded on statistics. Oh I will throw in Non-Linear Dynamics (which used to be called chaos theory) for free. 

Now near enough every paper in a decent physics journal will need a correlation to a null hypothesis, its the modern trendy way of doing it be that Pearson, Bayesian or some other tool. 

This is all very very far from by elections. 

But the idea you have a Ph.D in anything remotely close to a physical science is about as laughable as Ally McCoists management skills. 

Edited by dorlomin

6 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Just off the top of my head, Quantum Mechanics, Wave Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics are all disciplines of physics pretty much founded on statistics. Oh I will throw in Non-Linear Dynamics (which used to be called chaos theory) for free. 

Now near enough every paper in a decent physics journal will need a correlation to a null hypothesis, its the modern trendy way of doing it be that Pearson, Bayesian or some other tool. 

This is all very very far from by elections. 

But the idea you have a Ph.D in anything remotely close to a physical science is about as laughable as Ally McCoists management skills. 

Image result for spanking

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Where did I say science wasn't underpinned by statistics?

I quite clearly said that statistics is not science.

One of us is as thick as pigshit, clearly we differ on which one that is. 

Population level statistical analysis is as much "science" as a grand canonical ensemble in mechanics. 

Saying "statistics is not science" to dismiss a statistical analysis is about as valid as saying physics is not science. 

I doubt there is much more to be achieved diving down this rabbit hole. 

Honestly, I have no idea what you are wittering on about.
Are you, detouren thingy and dorlomin the same posters?
Not one of you is making sense.
In fairness the knuckle draggers seem to be loving the show you are putting on though.
Detourne is the b*****d child of the sad original account that managed to give you the boaby fairly regularly

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That would sound a lot more authoritative had it not come from someone who thought that statistics was a sub-field of science instead of maths. :lol:

Except that's not remotely what he said 

17 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Just off the top of my head, Quantum \ Wave Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics are all disciplines of physics pretty much founded on statistics.

How very awkward.

I'm going to have to assume you're a graduate of the University of Life following a fairly average spell in the School of Hard Knocks.

Dearie me. 

There are some depressingly dim people with PhDs in my experience. A willingness to stay in tertiary education longer doesn't necessarily correlate with IQ and there are some disciplines that are surprisingly light in academic terms. Take home message: having a PhD isn't that big a deal in and of itself and isn't necessarily something to boast about.

You have no way of knowing whether that applies in my case or not. Most people with PhDs don't make a big fuss over it, in my experience. It's what you do over the next 40 or so years of your life once you have it that actually really matters otherwise it's basically just a piece of paper with some writing and a fancy seal.