North Coast 500

Mon_The_Fife

I seen a programme a few weeks ago with Dougie Vipond driving it, I would like to give it a tour,looks great, but I got the feeling you would need a few bob to get round it, and only rich Americans/Canadians wouldn't turn roll their eyes at some of the prices

Highly recommend it. Can be done cheaply if you plan ahead and book your accommodation in advance. There are plenty of good hotels, b&bs, bothies and campsites on the route.

Recommend Lochcarron hotel, Badralloch, inchnadamph (you might want to check the spelling) and Smoo cave hotel in Durness. Best done during summer apart from the fucking midgies!

If you're keen enough, Climb Ben Hope, Scotlands most northerly Munro for the best views in Scotland. Really is a beautiful country and this is the best way to see it. Thoroughly recommend it.

Have genuinely been considering this in the future. Best bet would be Motorbike & camping surely (£££ wise).

Could probably do it over 5/6 nights if you're prepared. Take a slightly alternative route & settle for the night in Ullapool, Durness, Wick & Brora?

Definitely worth looking into anyway.

Best done in either May or October to avoid the worst of the insect world. Definitely don't go late July/early August as you'll not only have plagues of midges but also b*****d clegs.

I'd also add the Applecross Inn for a must-do stop off. It's tremendous food-wise. Bunkhouses are a decent way to cheapen accommodation, but avoid the one at the Kinlochewe Hotel. It's fucking shite. The best ones are at Inchnadamph, Forest Way and Durness.

inchnadamph (you might want to check the spelling) and Smoo cave hotel in Durness.

Inchnadamph has both a hostel and a hotel pretty much next to each other (which confuses some - hotel makes a handy pub for the lodge), whilst Durness has both the SYHA hostel right beside Smoo Cave and the independent 'Lazy Crofter Bunkhouse'. The Smoo Cave Hotel only has a handful of rooms and gets booked up well in advance for the summer months.

That said, if anyone's ever interested in using a good bunkhouse in Elphin, Assynt @ £8pn (link) then give me a PM. Belongs to my caving club who welcome guests. I've had many a breakfast staring out the window at Cul Mor, Suilven, Canisp etc.

Eta: I've been along every section of this route several times, just not in a one-er. Doubt that counts? :unsure2:

Inchnadamph has both a hostel and a hotel pretty much next to each other (which confuses some - hotel makes a handy pub for the lodge), whilst Durness has both the SYHA hostel right beside Smoo Cave and the independent 'Lazy Crofter Bunkhouse'. The Smoo Cave Hotel only has a handful of rooms and gets booked up well in advance for the summer months.

That said, if anyone's ever interested in using a good bunkhouse in Elphin, Assynt @ £8pn (link) then give me a PM. Belongs to my caving club who welcome guests. I've had many a breakfast staring out the window at Cul Mor, Suilven, Canisp etc.

Eta: I've been along every section of this route several times, just not in a one-er. Doubt that counts? :unsure2:

That link says fiver a night you cheeky b*****d.

I might take you up on that one day. Ulla pool is hellish for accommodation and I just payed around 10 times that for bunkhouse at aultguish.

Archived