Haggling with Sky

I phoned them up a couple of months back and basically was just honest and said that I wanted to cancel the entire package as it was getting too expensive. Explained that for a lower price I could get BT Sports and I felt sky sports wasn't worth the cash as they had lost the champions league.

They said that they had all the golf etc and explained about box sets etc, I stood my ground and eventually she buckled and said ok how about half price sports for six months.

Will probably do the same then, tbh I think the contract thing is bollocks as they break it by sneaking the price up by a pound or so every quarter.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just cancelled my sky. Told the guy on the phone it was too much and he offered a reduced price. I wasn't haggling, I just wanted it cancelled but he tried a couple times to offer me a reduced price/package. That was a few days ago and today a lassie phones up asking what they could do to get me back.

They seem pretty keen to get people to stay and will probably offer a decent discount you anyone who phones up to cancel.

I just cancelled my sky. Told the guy on the phone it was too much and he offered a reduced price. I wasn't haggling, I just wanted it cancelled but he tried a couple times to offer me a reduced price/package. That was a few days ago and today a lassie phones up asking what they could do to get me back.

They seem pretty keen to get people to stay and will probably offer a decent discount you anyone who phones up to cancel.

If you stick to your guns and hold out for a few days you're certain to get a big discount. 50% is the biggest I've heard right enough.

I phoned them up a couple of months back and basically was just honest and said that I wanted to cancel the entire package as it was getting too expensive. Explained that for a lower price I could get BT Sports and I felt sky sports wasn't worth the cash as they had lost the champions league.

They said that they had all the golf etc and explained about box sets etc, I stood my ground and eventually she buckled and said ok how about half price sports for six months.

Will probably do the same then, tbh I think the contract thing is bollocks as they break it by sneaking the price up by a pound or so every quarter.

I did this, just told them that it was getting more and more expensive and they were giving us less and less, at this point they told me I couldn't leave because the last time I haggled with them they put me on a new 2 year contract! Raging!!!

I did this, just told them that it was getting more and more expensive and they were giving us less and less, at this point they told me I couldn't leave because the last time I haggled with them they put me on a new 2 year contract! Raging!!!

Just tell them you won't watch it then. That'd sort them.

I don't have sky TV because I'm not mental, but I do have broadband. After the first year introductory offer was due to finish I did a bit of research and found out what it would cost to change to the next best deal, think it was plusnet at the time and told them that although i was happy with service, speed ect that I'd save about £120 per year changing over to someone else who was doing and introductory offer. Straight away they gave me my broadband free for another 12 months.

I'll be doing the same again in a couple of months.

Pretty close to just getting a guy round to put in one of those boxes for £100 odd. One off payment and you get every Sky channel. My brother-in-law has it and hasn't had any problems. No doubt it's illegal but it's not stopped me seriously considering it. Sky obviously know these things are happening though as my in-law told them bluntly that's why they're leaving and Sky just said "yes, but that's illegal" yet still tried to give him a better offer.

Genuinely - don't know what Sky can offer that Virgin/BT can't now at a vastly reduced price. BT is cornering Sky's dominance on the football market and Virgin (And to be fair, BT's) broadband is much better than Sky.

Genuinely - don't know what Sky can offer that Virgin/BT can't now at a vastly reduced price. BT is cornering Sky's dominance on the football market and Virgin (And to be fair, BT's) broadband is much better than Sky.

Sky is better for TV and Virgin better for broadband.

Bit of a 50/50

Edit to add: What I'm amazed at is that there has never been a competitor to Sky in satellite TV here - surely BT could start that up?

Bit of a 50/50

Edit to add: What I'm amazed at is that there has never been a competitor to Sky in satellite TV here - surely BT could start that up?

You mean you didn't have a BSB squarial?

FlyerTon, on 29 Aug 2015 - 10:02, said:

Bit of a 50/50

BT don't have the greatest television package, but with BT Sport and the likes of AMC, it's beginning to represent much more value for money. You can get that package just for basic line rental and basic TV package so £21.99 for all the Champions League/Europa League, loads of Scottish games, the new Walking Dead series, and half the EPL games.

Cracking deal and much better than anything Sky can offer for a similar price.

Now TV for Sky Sports IMO

Scotland play a double header and pick up Sports Week Pass for £10.99.

When they have a Scottish game worth watching Sports Day Pass for £6.99

Unlikely to pay more than £18 in a month.

What else does sky really have to offer that you cant get on freeview?

I have the full Sky package inc broadband & phone. If I phoned up to cancel the lot, would I be disconnected at the end of that month or would it be sooner than that?

Tv is 30 days and broadband can take up to 2 weeks.

Archived