City 2015-16

tamthebam

City certainly the better side over the 90, but Colts had a 20 minute spell in the second half where they got the equaliser and then had a goal that was over the line not given at 1-1 then the second pen, which was a stonewaller (far more so than the first) which had to bring a red for the big centre back for last man (who was otherwise excellent btw - best CB I've seen in the league). It could easily have been 3-1 the other way, though that wouldn't have reflected the game at all to be fair. In the end it took (another) fantastic Allum finish to seperate the sides, the third as Colts tried to get back in with a couple of minutes left perhaps cruel on them but still a fine finish at the end of a good break and that's why City are champions. All in the side who controlled the game won in the end.

Be an interesting run in to the season I think with City, Stirling and Spartans in the mix at the minute, Welfare with a few good results in their games in hand could sneak up on folks too.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City certainly the better side over the 90, but Colts had a 20 minute spell in the second half where they got the equaliser and then had a goal that was over the line not given at 1-1 then the second pen, which was a stonewaller (far more so than the first) which had to bring a red for the big centre back for last man (who was otherwise excellent btw - best CB I've seen in the league). It could easily have been 3-1 the other way, though that wouldn't have reflected the game at all to be fair. In the end it took (another) fantastic Allum finish to seperate the sides, the third as Colts tried to get back in with a couple of minutes left perhaps cruel on them but still a fine finish at the end of a good break and that's why City are champions. All in the side who controlled the game won in the end.

Be an interesting run in to the season I think with City, Stirling and Spartans in the mix at the minute, Welfare with a few good results in their games in hand could sneak up on folks too.

Ball did not look over the line from where I was sitting and not a chance 2nd penalty shout was a stonewaller. Colts lad should consider Olympic diving squad.

Not seen Stirling yet but results suggest they are going to be there or there abouts come the end of the season. Spartans are improving everytime I see them and if they can beat City on 2nd of January they would be right back in the title race.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week: No comment. I've been told I'm not allowed to indulge in "whataboutery". Which is a pity as I had a little list of historic grievances involving City games v Spartans..

post-12982-0-78769300-1452385727.jpg

... anyway the record shows, we took the blows, and won it our way. Although the remaining Spartans players played very well. Indeed at 2-2 I was half expecting Carswell to launch the ball down the field and a Spartan to sneak a winner, it's the sort of thing that used to happen.

Today was less exciting. A couple of well taken goals early on put us in the driving seat but we didn't add to the tally until late on when we got a penalty (looked softer than any of the 3 awards last week). Up stepped Mr Gair....

post-12982-0-98940800-1452386078_thumb.j

...phew, it went in...

Threave have given us two close games this season and comments were made that they don't look as bad as their League position suggests. Anyway I'm looking forward to a first trip on a train down to Gala next week.

Another win for City today 3-1 at Gala. They even managed to score penalty. Gala played some decent stuff at times but never really troubled City goal much. City were always in control and could have scored more if not for some excellent stops by the Gala keeper.

Not another penalty award for City. Just saying. .........

Didn't really see what happened but the general opinion was that it was a poor decision and Cities 2nd goal was at least 2 yards off side, however although Gala competed really well they are no where near as dangerous as City in the final third so probably a fair result!

The utterly neutral Kelsae guys I was standing next to said 2nd goal was onside and it was a fair penalty award. So there. And if it wasn't then Rosco was doing a tribute to David Bowie- the man who fell to earth (a lot!)

post-12982-0-06200600-1452991556_thumb.j

After our game Coldstream and Vale of Leithen played a friendly in this lovely weather. The Special One didn't even have a tartan rug- not wise given that the cold gets to the auld folk at this time of year! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Quick update: 

Edu game was a bit surreal. It was nice to go back to Galabank to see what they'd done to the place: the roadside terracing is gone and there's a nice new shed at one end and some turnstiles. Social club hasn't changed a bit though. 

A few locals turned up to watch the game but not many other people apart from the City support. The EDU coach shouted instructions at his players in pure dead gallus Glaswegian and they all spoke to each other in French. It was a bit cold and wet down in the South West and the game wasn't the greatest but we came through and await to see which opponents will beat us in a penalty shoot-out in the final. I'd like Glasgow Yooni, ta. 

post-12982-0-42951100-1460328477_thumb.j

Mush can't believe he's getting a game, ha ha! 

Yesterday was always going to be tough- Stirling have been challenging for a lot of the season and are difficult to beat. We seemed nervy - players got into good positions but seemed to rush their shots. Eventually it took a classic counter-attack, well basically a long punt up field and a cracking Dougie shot to win the game. It was fitting that Dougie got the goal as he's been at City for so long, boy and man. And he's a nice guy to boot. And his mum comes to watch him. 

Some fans of other clubs have cast doubts on the veritable MIGHTINESS of City but you don't win two titles by being rubbish folks. 

I'd like Wednesday's game to go ahead, a nice Spring evening in Innerleithen would be good, but there's rain forecast for tomorrow afternoon in the Borders...

post-12982-0-41540700-1460329100_thumb.j

Yeeeesss, I'm getting fish fingers for tea tonight...

• 1 month later...

Indeed... I don't think Meadowbank games of a few decades ago ever got completely into that category, and Livingston games certainly haven't (although they had a bit of needle which wasn't geographically related), but it's the closest we'll get unless someone like Gala get themselves up or we go down. It used to be hilarious when TV would call Berwick-Annan or Berwick-Stranraer games the "Border derby".

Bit of a sickener for Spartans as their derby disappears... They'll have to hope for a lucky cup draw, or fight their way through the EOS Qualifying Cup.

Archived