Scotland vs Polska

jagfox

""Charlie Mulgrew was never going to be fit. Charlie is only here because he wanted to be here and add to the squad and what we do behind the scenes and he has certainly done that."

Surely that's a total waste of a squad member if he literally has no chance of playing? Or did we call up someone extra this time. Obviously certain players in the squad know they'll never get game time but surely it's a step too far to call someone up who is unfit and has been out for weeks

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

""Charlie Mulgrew was never going to be fit. Charlie is only here because he wanted to be here and add to the squad and what we do behind the scenes and he has certainly done that."

Surely that's a total waste of a squad member if he literally has no chance of playing? Or did we call up someone extra this time. Obviously certain players in the squad know they'll never get game time but surely it's a step too far to call someone up who is unfit and has been out for weeks

That is an interesting statement to make. I'm guessing he means that he wanted to be amongst the squad at such an important time, but surely he didn't need to take up a squad space to do that. You could've called up Ryan Gauld or someone like that in that space, then invited anyone who wanted to be there to the training. Only thing i can think of is that there was a small chance of him being fit enough, but now in hindsight it's being said "he was never going to be fit". Otherwise it's a pretty baffling statement to make.

Totally agree, Armstrong is a far superior player and is now actually fit yet didn't get a call up due to his "injury". Add to that Morrison being suspended for the Poland match and that's another midfield berth taken up by someone who can't play.

Yes, great to give yourself options.................

Yeah if he wanted to be with the squad, surely he could just come along to training without actually being in the squad. I remember a few of the u21s being brought to training early in Strachan's reign just for the experience. Could that not have been done again?

Is there a limit to how many players you can call up?

The Mulgrew inclusion sums up the shambles of the national team that is never far from the surface. A complete clear out is needed and start the next campaign with youngsters like the three Ryans, Liam Henderson and the likes of Walker and Nicholson from Hearts. Get them bedded in with an ambitious young boss, clear out the old dead heads like Strachan and his assistants, appoint someone like Cathro. Think outside the box for a change or we will continue calling up 32 year olds for their debuts and playing pish, conservative football that fails to trouble bloody Georgia!

You can invite whoever you please to accompany the squad, however only players named on the official squad list can actually take part in the match.

As such, any simpleton can clearly see that someone taking up a "playing" place in the squad who quite clearly had no chance of participation in the game is nothing short of sheer lunacy.

From an Irish view point. I think we will get battered against Germany and lose 3 or 4 nil and taking off key players after 60 minutes to rest them but all eyes will be on Hampden and waiting to see how that game goes. I fancy it to be a score draw meaning it all goes down to the final Sunday.

If we need a point in Warsaw then Martin O'Neill is the man to get it. It would suit both Ireland and Poland to play out a 0-0 and if we are in the playoffs then we are seeded as well which means, why go for the win and lose out completely when we can take our chances in the playoff. We were dead and buried after the summer so a playoff will be deemed a sucess for O'Neill.

From an Irish view point. I think we will get battered against Germany and lose 3 or 4 nil and taking off key players after 60 minutes to rest them but all eyes will be on Hampden and waiting to see how that game goes. I fancy it to be a score draw meaning it all goes down to the final Sunday.

If we need a point in Warsaw then Martin O'Neill is the man to get it. It would suit both Ireland and Poland to play out a 0-0 and if we are in the playoffs then we are seeded as well which means, why go for the win and lose out completely when we can take our chances in the playoff. We were dead and buried after the summer so a playoff will be deemed a sucess for O'Neill.

I really have no idea what to expect tomorrow. Prior to the Georgia game I was really upbeat about this campaign however I've felt totally destroyed ever since. Not just the scoreline but the nature of our display coupled with the after match reaction just drained away all my belief and hope.

What really gets me is that I'm not really convinced that many of our players care anything like as much as our fans and that hurts. We need a big performance tomorrow night to restore the faith and while I'm sure we're capable of it I just don't know if we will provide it.

As always with Scotland, I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst....................

The Mulgrew inclusion sums up the shambles of the national team that is never far from the surface. A complete clear out is needed and start the next campaign with youngsters like the three Ryans, Liam Henderson and the likes of Walker and Nicholson from Hearts. Get them bedded in with an ambitious young boss, clear out the old dead heads like Strachan and his assistants, appoint someone like Cathro. Think outside the box for a change or we will continue calling up 32 year olds for their debuts and playing pish, conservative football that fails to trouble bloody Georgia!

????????????

Aye, that's the game. Start the campaign with players who are nowhere near good enough for the team, that'll learn them. I can see Hodgson absolutely pishing himself with fear over that one. Except it isn't fear, it's absolute hilarity at the pish you're spouting.

The fact that Ritchie and/or Forrest is going to start this game whilst Ryan Gauld suns himself in Portugal is a joke

Gauld should be the first winger off the bench with Anya out

But Gauld isn't really a winger is he? And he's been playing for Sporting Lisbon B team. His time will come, shoe-horning him before he's ready won't help. Shinnie should be the first to replace Anya IMO.

The fact that Ritchie and/or Forrest is going to start this game whilst Ryan Gauld suns himself in Portugal is a joke

Gauld should be the first winger off the bench with Anya out

You're more sensible than that Mr Bairn come on to f**k.

Why's Ritchie getting bracketed along with Forrest by the way. Cracking player.

Archived