Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

So by that argument, if Robertson goes to Real or Barcelona he would then be deemed as being "world class" but not by anybody here???

My take is that a Barca move would make it almost indisputable, but i don't think he has to make such a move to be 'world class' (using the top 10 players in the world in each position definition of wc)

Love him but is he really even that much better or better at all than guys like Danny Rose, Marcus Alonso, Ben Davies, Cresswell, Azpilicieta, Mendy, Clichy, Monreal etc etc in the Prem?

Wouldn’t say any of them are or will be world class with the exception of maybe Mendy.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think it's a good and critical comparison to make.
You could argue tho: how many of those listed are ripping thru the champs league, getting 9/10s in those biggest of games and being sung about by the fans?

I think it's a good and critical comparison to make.

You could argue tho: how many of those listed are ripping thru the champs league, getting 9/10s in those biggest of games and being sung about by the fans?

They’ve all played in the Champions league apart from Cresswell. All been flying at some point in their careers too.

I’m not sure why fans singing his name is suddenly being used for measuring how good a player is. [emoji51]

Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you if Spurs have a song for Davies or if City fans have a song for Mendy. Im sure the only reason you’ve noticed that for Robertson is the fact you’re keeping a very close eye on him like every other Scottish fan.

They’ve all played in the Champions league apart from Cresswell. All been flying at some point in their careers too.

I’m not sure why fans singing his name is suddenly being used for measuring how good a player is. [emoji51]

Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you if Spurs have a song for Davies or if City fans have a song for Mendy. Im sure the only reason you’ve noticed that for Robertson is the fact you’re keeping a very close eye on him like every other Scottish fan.

You're most probably right to a degree re Scottish bias.

The song thing is flimsy, admittedly, but it is indicative of a player with a touch of 'magic' as opposed to a risk-averse, dependable type (and I know we've covered the 'magic' thing already - Robertson isn't a flicks and tricks type player etc etc).

Cresswell etc have had good streaks, so I suppose the thing that would distinguish Robertson is, as I really hope might happen, for him to continue to perform like this for a sustained period and prove it is his normal level of operation. Not blistering 9/10 every week - that would be unrealistic, Ronaldo level - but 2+ seasons of being a vital cog in the Liverpool machine. Or if that Liverpool machine was to clinch something like the Champions' League, then I reckon we're being churlish to write him off as 'lucky/plucky/honest trier/purple patch'

As I said in my post a few pages back, loads of ifs and maybes in there, but of all current Scottish players, he seems to be the one on the trajectory most likely to hit the nebulous 'world class' zone.

[emoji38] this thread. It's all subjective but my idea of world class is being the best in your position and still being talked about as a great player 20 years after retiring, by folk all over the world.
So Scotland has had maybe 1 world class player, ever.

Yeah by that 'World XI' definition I agree that Robertson is not and will 99% never be world class.

:lol: this thread. It's all subjective but my idea of world class is being the best in your position and still being talked about as a great player 20 years after retiring, by folk all over the world.

Wayne Foster was actually English

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

:lol: this thread. It's all subjective but my idea of world class is being the best in your position and still being talked about as a great player 20 years after retiring, by folk all over the world.

Fair enough, but that leaves an awful awful lot of top top class players who are apparently not world class!

Dare you to pick this world class first 11 ;-)

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Fair enough, but that leaves an awful awful lot of top top class players who are apparently not world class!

Dare you to pick this world class first 11 ;-)

Yes it does top class players are exactly that. World class are exceptional. I will try and pick a team if i ever have time, just for you.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

For me, you two are on about "elite" players. Players who are the best on the planet in their position and could walk into any team on the planet and be a key player. 

I'd have world class a rung below that. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

For me, you two are on about "elite" players. Players who are the best on the planet in their position and could walk into any team on the planet and be a key player. 

I'd have world class a rung below that. 

Change them about. World class is exactly that, someone who goes down in history. Elite is just a top sportsman.

Will any c**t remember half those mentioned in 20 years? They're not world class then, just merely good in this little timeframe.

33 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Change them about. World class is exactly that, someone who goes down in history. Elite is just a top sportsman.

Will any c**t remember half those mentioned in 20 years? They're not world class then, just merely good in this little timeframe.

So the morton team I remember from 20 years ago were actually world class. Jeez