Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

On 05/04/2018 at 22:58, Bishop Briggs said:

I agree belatedly. Hansen was world class IMO.  

But Scotland managers often picked Miller and McLeish ahead of Hansen. 

Just look at their respective number of caps.

Understandable given mcleish and miller were one of the best centre half pairings scotland ever seen, 

I love Robertson but he’s not anywhere near world class and don’t think he ever will be. Even if Liverpool do win the Champions League they’ll more than likely have that average goalie in the sticks, TAA or Joe Gomez, Lovren, Henderson, Milner and Oxlade Chamberlain in the team. All good players but nowhere near world class. Then a front 3 of Mane, Salah and Firmino, again 3 very good players and on a level above the rest of the team but again the only one close to world class would be Salah.

It all depends on the definition of world class I suppose. Before this season would anyone have considered Salah as world class?

It all depends on the definition of world class I suppose. Before this season would anyone have considered Salah as world class?

No but not really sure what before this season has to do with where he is right now.

World class full backs for me are your Dani Alves/Phillip Lahms or Marcelo. No way Robertson has it in him to do what they have. What he does have though is the potential to be a very good EPL fullback and a very good player. Robertson has been a very hard worker and suited that Liverpool team very well but I think a lot of the players in that team are the same.

If England fans started saying that the Ox/Henderson/TAA were world class because they’ve been great for a Liverpool team that could potentially win the champions league we’d rip the pish out of them for overhyping their players, some doing the exact same here.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No but not really sure what before this season has to do with where he is right now.

World class full backs for me are your Dani Alves/Phillip Lahms or Marcelo. No way Robertson has it in him to do what they have. What he does have though is the potential to be a very good EPL fullback and a very good player. Robertson has been a very hard worker and suited that Liverpool team very well but I think a lot of the players in that team are the same.

If England fans started saying that the Ox/Henderson/TAA were world class because they’ve been great for a Liverpool team that could potentially win the champions league we’d rip the pish out of them for overhyping their players, some doing the exact same here.

I've not checked but I'm fairly sure Marcelo was just beginning to make an impression on the CL at the age of 24. 

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Had made the FIFA world 11 shortlist by the time he was 22

Fair enough, he's obviously the elite though, as in the best left back on the planet, so bring worse than him shouldn't mean you cannot be classed as world class.  

Fwiw we're verging on the tedious "what is world class" debate and I can't be fucked with that, and I doubt you can either. 

Fair enough, he's obviously the elite though, as in the best left back on the planet, so bring worse than him shouldn't mean you cannot be classed as world class.  

Fwiw we're verging on the tedious "what is world class" debate and I can't be fucked with that, and I doubt you can either. 

Haha course I can’t. But I just think he’s a good EPL player and that’ll be that, I don’t think he’ll be any better than some of the good fullbacks we’ve seen in the Prem just now or over the years, even your Clynes/Bertrand’s/Walker/Rose, if they were Scottish we’d probably be raving about them if we had them.

He’s a very good player but I don’t ever see him as world class. Absolutely class in Scottish terms though. [emoji6]

Haha course I can’t. But I just think he’s a good EPL player and that’ll be that, I don’t think he’ll be any better than some of the good fullbacks we’ve seen in the Prem just now or over the years, even your Clynes/Bertrand’s/Walker/Rose, if they were Scottish we’d probably be raving about them if we had them.

He’s a very good player but I don’t ever see him as world class. Absolutely class in Scottish terms though. [emoji6]

Fair enough if thats how you see it.

I think it's underselling him a bit tho to describe him as "hard working". He is that, but he's pretty skilful too. His crossing is accurate and deadly, he's capable of superb link up play and while he's not going to stepover and twist past three defenders, hes very cute at driving through and past defenders in and around the opposition box.

The fact he's turning out performances like that for Scotland and at Champions' League level makes me wonder if we're trying too hard *not* to admit hes rather special (or even on the verge of being world class)

4 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

the only one close to world class would be Salah.

It does depend on your interpretation of world class but christ if salahs not world class what is. Messi and Ronaldo and that's it?

I'd say world class is, is he one of the best in the world in his position.

The thing that bugs me, is that players these days only seem to be deemed world class if they get a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona. If you only play for someone like Liverpool or Manchester United (who are just as big, if not bigger, than the two Spanish sides) then you are only classed as an excellent player.

2 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

The thing that bugs me, is that players these days only seem to be deemed world class if they get a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona. If you only play for someone like Liverpool or Manchester United (who are just as big, if not bigger, than the two Spanish sides) then you are only classed as an excellent player.

Liverpool are bigger than Real Madrid ?? Haud the bus !! What a fucking statement.

It does depend on your interpretation of world class but christ if salahs not world class what is. Messi and Ronaldo and that's it?

Another year or two like this in the Prem then I’d say he was. Could just be a one season wonder.

Plenty of world class players who were classed as such whilst at Liverpool and United over the years. Off the top of my head Sanchez, Di Maria, Rooney, Ibra, Vidic, Suarez, Ronaldo, Coutinho, Evra etc etc etc

Don’t think you need a move to the big 2 in Spain to be classed as that

Bobby Firmino and Mane are clearly world class players. Not sure if Andy will ever reach that level, but he's been the best left back in the premier league since the start of the year and has all the attributes needed to possibly become  one of the top players in the world for his position.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Another year or two like this in the Prem then I’d say he was. Could just be a one season wonder.

Plenty of world class players who were classed as such whilst at Liverpool and United over the years. Off the top of my head Sanchez, Di Maria, Rooney, Ibra, Vidic, Suarez, Ronaldo, Coutinho, Evra etc etc etc

Di Maria did not last long at United. Ibrahimovic had only one good season at Old Trafford. Rooney was nowhere near the quality of Ronaldo. 

Under the current owners, Liverpool cash in when big offers come in, e.g. Suarez and Countinho. Salah will be gone in the summer if the price is right. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

In my world he's about as world class as you get tbh 

has all the attributes needed to possibly become  one of the top players in the world for his position.

Honestly can’t believe people are saying things like this. Genuinely believe there’s a whole load of bias going on here with him, he’s a really good player but no way for me anyway.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Honestly can’t believe people are saying things like this. Genuinely believe there’s a whole load of bias going on here with him, he’s a really good player but no way for me anyway.

Liverpool are in the quarter finals on the champions league, so are easily one of the best clubs in the world currently.

And he's currently one of their best performing players. Who's also young and has improved every season. 

He's already one of the best fullbacks in the world* 

*depending on your criteria 

Liverpool are in the quarter finals on the champions league, so are easily one of the best clubs in the world currently.
And he's currently one of their best performing players. Who's also young and has improved every season. 
He's already one of the best fullbacks in the world* 
*depending on your criteria 

Is Trent Alexander Arnold one of the best fullbacks in the world? Is Karius one of the best keepers in the world? Is Jordan Henderson one of the best midfielders in the world?

Seriously?

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Messi and Ronaldo have performed at the highest level for many years.

Salah has had a great season but he's needs to reproduce that form for a few seasons to merit comparison with them.

On 1/25/2018 at 22:55, footiefanboy said:

How about Jim Baxter?  He was also in the same squad ( albeit as a sub) but perhaps not so clear cut. Every time I saw him he was hugely impressive...certainly has to be considered?

I was too young to see him in his pomp but, even after he came back from Sunderland/Forest he had a remarkable touch.  His Slimness still remains an icon down Govan way:

I like this quote from the Herald

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13764534.The_Diary__What_the_Real_Madrid_player_was_doing_in_Drumchapel__and_what_the_Glasgow_concert_goer_wanted_at_the_Crosby__Stills_and_Nash_gig/

The superb Puskas became friendly with a local girl in the house's scullery. As Jim explained: "I've always thought there should be a plaque in Drumchapel which would state 'The great footballer Puskas scored here'."

Edit:  Cameo role for Tiny Wharton in the Baxter vid.  Terrific referee and a fitting Guardian obituary:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/may/19/guardianobituaries.football

Edited by The_Kincardine