Motherwell's usual NDP pumping 19/9/15

Watt won't be playing for the first team anytime soon...

What's the script with this? Much heralded since Baraclough came in, only to be barely spoken of in recent times. Certainly been nowhere near the matchday squads.

Is it simply down to injury, or is their more to it?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the script with this? Much heralded since Baraclough came in, only to be barely spoken of in recent times. Certainly been nowhere near the matchday squads.

Is it simply down to injury, or is their more to it?

Can't comment on injuries, so... He should probably show a little humility too.

Based on what I saw last night, as long as Accies can create something in front of goal i'd expect them to win. Need to see if any fatigue comes into it.

Looked decent enough against us, No.11 looks a good player. They needed a bit more movement up top, Nade will do OK against defence's he can out-muscle but our CB's are solid in the air and dealt with the threat well.

They had a good period just before half time where they kept the ball well and passed it about before playing a couple of lovely through balls that no-one got on the end of. If they have someone with a bit of pace to get on them you'll cause teams plenty of problems.

------------- Ripley ------------

Law Kennedy McManus Hammell

------ Lasley Grimshaw -----------

Ainsworth Thomas Johnson

------------ Moult ---------------

That's a really good side...a REALLY good side. Which would probably struggle to win a game.

And that is exactly what's bending my brain this season.

Having seen one of capt_oats' teams on Steelmen Online, I think that's also a good option.

I think it was along the lines of (he can correct me if i'm wrong)...

Ripley

Law Laing McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Lasley Grimshaw Chalmers

Robinson Moult

It gives us a bit of cover in the midfield with Chalmers there (he done ok in my view in the first two games). While I appreciate it only gives us an attacking outlay down the one side, with Robinson up top, it gives us the 'ball over the top' option. Certainly could work with Robinson's pace.

Even if Hammell isn't risked on the pitch, we could shift Chalmers to left-back and put Taylor (apparently he's a left midfielder, you know?) out wide.

We've certainly got options. I think if you asked 10 'Well fans their preferred starting line-up for Saturday, you'd get 8 or 9 different teams. None of which would match the one Baraclough picks either...

Having seen one of capt_oats' teams on Steelmen Online, I think that's also a good option.

I think it was along the lines of (he can correct me if i'm wrong)...

Ripley

Law Laing McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Lasley Grimshaw Chalmers

Robinson Moult

It gives us a bit of cover in the midfield with Chalmers there (he done ok in my view in the first two games). While I appreciate it only gives us an attacking outlay down the one side, with Robinson up top, it gives us the 'ball over the top' option. Certainly could work with Robinson's pace.

Even if Hammell isn't risked on the pitch, we could shift Chalmers to left-back and put Taylor (apparently he's a left midfielder, you know?) out wide.

We've certainly got options. I think if you asked 10 'Well fans their preferred starting line-up for Saturday, you'd get 8 or 9 different teams. None of which would match the one Baraclough picks either...

Ha! Cheers! :lol:

Yeah that was pretty much it. I had Kennedy in for Law purely on the basis that from what I've seen of him he's got height and pace which Law doesn't, he's also an actual defender having said that Law has by no means been the worst player on the park recently. You can also tweak that formation and make it a bit more of a 433 with Ainsworth pushed up and Robinson playing in the channel but not as an out and out winger.

I think we've looked more balanced across the midfield when Chalmers has played and we've avoided going with 2 wingers.

I know it's an age-old cliche but the first goal's key here. We haven't responded well to conceding first lately and Motherwell always create a good atmosphere at NDP and we need to shut them up like in the 5-0 game.

Last and only manager to take Motherwell to New Douglas Park and win was Mark McGhee in 2009 when won 3v0. That's a fucking shocking record and no doubt will continue today going on our current performances.

That's the only time I've ever left a game early :lol:

Last and only manager to take Motherwell to New Douglas Park and win was Mark McGhee in 2009 when won 3v0. That's a fucking shocking record and no doubt will continue today going on our current performances.

I can't remember the last time we scored at new Douglas park never mind win there

Archived