Motherwell's usual NDP pumping 19/9/15

I've been open minded about Baraclough. He inherited an absolute shambles from McCall and managed to keep us up but we're at the stage where I can't really see how he can turn things around now.

Even if we do OK against Morton and Thistle I don't think that'd be enough. It'd just be postponing things. Baraclough made changes today but by all accounts it didn't actually have any effect how we performed.

Ultimately that's a problem if a manager can't affect positive changes in the team.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weirdly, I thought we were much better today, but it appears that was just me.

Still utterly toothless, though.

Feeling for Moult, he's knocking his pan in every week for f**k all. His fall in the first half was fucking HILARIOUS though.

We can't complain about losing that today as Accies were the better team (without being outstanding) - but the sad thing is that the timid, disjointed performance was as close as we've been to taking anything at NDP for a few years. I'm beginning to think that there's a fucking curse there given the number of easy chances that we've passed up in that time - and Robinson's sitter in the first half was another in a long line.

On Barraclough - I've never been one for calling for 'Well managers to be sacked (McLeish was the only one that I really couldn't stand) - but I just can't see any sign of improvement since December of last year when he came in. It just doesn't seem credible at this stage that he will develop the 1st team in the long term. Every week seems to consist of a few team changes as he casts about for a shape that works and the gap between his words and what we are actually watching seems to grow wider every time. I actually think (a couple of needless signings aside) that we have a decent squad but we are a lot less than the sum of our parts at the moment and it's concerning seeing Mcdonald and Johnson on the bench and out of form.

I fear we're entering that state of limbo where the manager can't take us further forward but our board won't want to look too brutal (or highlight their poor appointment) by making a change at this early point. Not confident about the Morton game....

It just doesn't seem credible at this stage that he will develop the 1st team in the long term. Every week seems to consist of a few team changes as he casts about for a shape that works and the gap between his words and what we are actually watching seems to grow wider every time. I actually think (a couple of needless signings aside) that we have a decent squad but we are a lot less than the sum of our parts at the moment and it's concerning seeing Mcdonald and Johnson on the bench and out of form.

I fear we're entering that state of limbo where the manager can't take us further forward but our board won't want to look too brutal (or highlight their poor appointment) by making a change at this early point. Not confident about the Morton game....

This kind of nails it for me. I think last season Baraclough eventually stumbled upon a system that worked ie: the shift from 4231 to 442, aided by a couple of astute signings (Pearson and McDonald) along with the emergence of Erwin in that formation allowed us to get on a decent run. At the time I wondered if that was by design or whether it was more the case that he fluked it and just ran with it.

Thus far he hasn't been able to find a system that clicks despite having had a full pre-season and virtually a full squad to choose from. Like yourself I actually think we've assembled a fairly decent squad but right now Baraclough is struggling to get them playing in any sort of coherent fashion for whatever reason. Beyond Pearson and Fletcher you'd probably say that he's had the opportunity to pick his *best* XI for the majority of the fixtures so far (Ainsworth's 2 game suspension aside) so it seems remarkable that we don't look like we have any idea how to play.

I think it was maybe on Steelmen that I made the point that I had a concern that we looked as if we were a team that was just treading water, trying to get by game to game until Pearson returns. If it's the case we're that reliant on one player and our entire system hinges on him then we definitely have a problem.

I can't really see the club wanting to bullet the manager either, I think the only real way forward is if Baraclough takes the same route as McCall and decides that he can't take us any further or that it just isn't working and walks. I don't think by any means we're a lost cause but at the same time I don't see how he moves us on from here.

Weirdly, I thought we were much better today, but it appears that was just me.

Still utterly toothless, though.

Feeling for Moult, he's knocking his pan in every week for f**k all. His fall in the first half was fucking HILARIOUS though.

I didn't think we were horrific today either to be fair, we should have got at least a draw as Robinson passed up arguably the two best chances of the game. It was a dull and uninspiring affair that one goal was always going to decide and unfortunately for us our habit of conceding soft goals has come back to haunt us again.

The defence though played reasonably well on the whole, even the much maligned Law had a decent game with Kennedy being the standout for me. Actually thought Chalmers had a very good game as well but should never have been beaten by Imrie in the air for the goal.

However middle to front we were poor again, the three of Grimshaw, Lasley and Taylor seemed to be confused as to who was supposed to be where and never got control of the game at any stage. The front three of Ainsworth, Robinson and Moult interchanging positions was just bizarre as our biggest goal threat Moult ended up defending on the edge of his own box at one point as he done a stint on the left wing. When he was up front, Moult was again left isolated for large spells with little support and little in the way of service.

Baraclough just doesn't seem to have an idea of how to utilize the (large)squad at his disposal and is fumbling about in the dark trying to find a solution. He made 4 changes today and went with a new formation, what's the odds of another few changes on Tuesday and another different formation? Obviously it will be only 1 up front with Jake Taylor shoehorned somewhere into the midfield but apart from that who knows what he'll do, I doubt the man himself even knows.

Archived