Motherwell's usual NDP pumping 19/9/15

I can't see anything other than a comfortable home win here most likely 2-0. We are playing terrible football at the moment and our away form is awful in general never mind just at Hamilton.

We only won 3 away league games all last season against god awful St Mirren and killie sides and County pre January window when they were also shite. I've never seen us win at NDP and I think the club has only won once back when sillytim Sheridan was playing for us yonks ago. We're also pretty gash on plastic pitches.

The truth is accies players will be much more up for the game than ours as per usual and the accies fans, Well bois excluded, will be much up for it than ours. We'll sing the dougie imries maws a mattress song and he'll play like a man possessed and probably score.

As for the team I'd play watt right back, swap Kennedy for Laing, drop ainsworth for Johnson and drop McDonald for Robinson. I wouldn't even put jake Taylor on the bench so leitch or grimshaw in for him please.

Despite my negativity and the fact I hate the ground, that 5-0 pumping on New Year's Day does that, I'll still buy a ticket and be there.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact our away form is as poor doesn't fill me with much confidence and I'd take a draw no question. I guess there's an element of how Accies game against Aberdeen goes and what sort of response we see from them.

Agree about Kennedy coming back in but I'd play him in place of Law (I don't think Bara will though). I've been impressed by Chalmers in a kind of solid, understated way and wouldn't be averse to him being involved especially given Hammell's injury record of late and the fact we're playing on a plastic pitch. As much as I'd like Watt to get a game I just can't see it happening just now.

McDonald definitely needs to take a seat, given that Johnson sat out a couple of games after being hooked in the cup I wonder if we'll see a similar approach. I genuinely think that Taylor has been playing out of position but either way he's been so ineffective that he really shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st XI.

Personally I'd go 433 and make sure we've got someone standing on top of Crawford for 90mins with Robinson playing more as an inside right than an out and out winger, much like Clarkson did vs Bolton:

Ripley

Kennedy - Laing - McManus - Chalmers

Grimshaw - Lasley- Leitch

Johnson

Robinson

Moult

1-1 Moult for us.

The truth is accies players will be much more up for the game than ours as per usual and the accies fans, Well bois excluded, will be much up for it than ours. We'll sing the dougie imries maws a mattress song and he'll play like a man possessed and probably score.

Hope both sections are packed, always a good laugh.

Serious changes will need to be made here, if we are to avoid defeat.

Not playing Taylor in a 2-man midfield, in a 4-4-2, would be first. Not playing Taylor at all would be second...

I appreciate Kennedy was not 100% on Saturday, hence his omission, so would be interesting to see if he'll come in for Laing. As much as many have been wanting the inclusion of Luke Watt, his absence in the matchday squads of late make it seem unlikely he'll replace Law.

I think Marvin Johnson done well on Saturday after coming on, and think he's done enough to start. McDonald has been piss poor all season, so will be interesting to see if Baraclough has the bottle to drop him. I'd quite like to see Thomas get the No.10 role, to see what he could do in there.

The team i'd like to see on Saturday;

------------- Ripley ------------

Law Kennedy McManus Hammell

------ Lasley Grimshaw -----------

Ainsworth Thomas Johnson

------------ Moult ---------------

Hard fought 1-1 draw.

Serious changes will need to be made here, if we are to avoid defeat.

Not playing Taylor in a 2-man midfield, in a 4-4-2, would be first. Not playing Taylor at all would be second...

I appreciate Kennedy was not 100% on Saturday, hence his omission, so would be interesting to see if he'll come in for Laing. As much as many have been wanting the inclusion of Luke Watt, his absence in the matchday squads of late make it seem unlikely he'll replace Law.

I think Marvin Johnson done well on Saturday after coming on, and think he's done enough to start. McDonald has been piss poor all season, so will be interesting to see if Baraclough has the bottle to drop him. I'd quite like to see Thomas get the No.10 role, to see what he could do in there.

The team i'd like to see on Saturday;

------------- Ripley ------------

Law Kennedy McManus Hammell

------ Lasley Grimshaw -----------

Ainsworth Thomas Johnson

------------ Moult ---------------

Hard fought 1-1 draw.

Wouldn't be against that team and I agree that Thomas as a #10 is something we should definitely try. One of the nagging doubts about Bara is how reluctant he seems to drop certain players; Law being one (though he's been fine the past couple of weeks), Taylor and McDonald being the most obvious one. With Grimshaw being brought in then I'd assume he/Man United will be expecting game time so as far as I can see something has to give one way or another.

re: Saturday, it's interesting that people seem to have been going on about the "lone striker" in that game. For me, that's the most obviously we've lined up as 442 that I've seen this season. McDonald was playing alongside and ahead of Moult for the entire time he was on the park, with Robinson being the direct replacement for the 2nd half. In many ways it was one of the root causes of our problems. We were knocking it long for Moult and trying to pick up 2nd balls and knock downs and it just didn't work. I've been impressed by Moult but he's by no means a target man.

A pumping for us on Tuesday could destroy morale so I'll wait and see what happens up there 1st. We're usually much better at home and there's no doubt that having the advantage of training regularly on our surface plays a big part in that. Away from home some of our players struggle to stay on their feet on grass which makes you wonder if our players are using the same studs on both.

I have no idea why I buy tickets for NDP given the misery that always follows but I've done it again....

Given the regularity of the defeats in Hamilton, I think it would ludicrous to blame it all on the pitch and not on the fact that we've constantly been out-fought and out-played, usually by a team that seem more up for it. It's hard not to get the impression that Baraclough is still casting about our squad looking for a decent starting 11 and a settled style of play (especially in the middle of the park) - so there is little or no chance that we will choose saturday to put in a top of the range performance IMO.

Like most 'Well fans - I'm waiting to see signs of progress or development with what seems to be a decent enough squad - and there's already a lot of impatience and negativity kicking about - the rolling Barraclough Out thread on Steelmen that's been on the go since 7 or 8 games into his reign isn't showing many supportive voices these days (even allowing for the fact that the tone on there is always ultra-negative anyway). The first day of the season at ICT remains the level to aim at in away games as far as I'm concerned - we started well that day and didn't let the opposition settle at all - something I don't think I've seen since...

Would gladly accept a point here....

Not often you go home fuming having scored a 91st minute equaliser but that was how I felt on Saturday. It was 90 minutes of absolute garbage up until the goal. Basically we are absolutely fucking hopeless right now. If we lose again at NDP, and I fully expect to, Baraclough's coat has to be a shuggly nail.

I've been to all our recent NDP matches, including the Albion Rovers defeat which amazing isn't actually our worst performance there, the 0-5 on New Years Day might just be the single worst performance in 30 years of following Motherwell, but I don't think I'm even going to go to this one.

I am getting to the point now where enough is enough and going to the bother of getting a ticket for the match doesn't seem likely. We'll see.

Should be a close game but if we get our tactics right I think we can edge it. My main concern is Canning's lack of a plan B when things aren't going his way.

Plan A will be enough to win it. We offer very little going forward and are still dodgy at the back. Add into that the plastic pitch and Accies have 3 points.

We will win and turn the corner.

We have a decent squad make no mistake.

Once the dust settles and Pearson returns I expect we can start to see the strongest 11. I also have a feeling that will include Grimshaw.

Moult deserves his place, but I would start Robinson in place of Skippy and Grimshaw in place of the ineffectual Taylor. Chalmers in for Hammell to protect him from injury. Then possibly Kennedy in for Laing and I would be happy with that Starting 11.

I will be in Washington DC, keeping an eye out in the result.

Samson straight into the starting XI for me.

You don't get a last minute call up to the Scotland national squad, just because you live down the road from the training base, for nothing you know.

Archived