RWC 2015

The Gudderman

It sounds like Joubert did nothing wrong except, maybe, doing a get away act at the end. He wasn't supposed to use TMO for the offside, and he was advised regarding the shoulder charge. He had a fairly strong game then had to make a snap marginal call at the end and got it wrong. He's not become a bad referee overnight - he's got over 50 tests and officiated the last SF & Final, afterall.

I'm reasonably forgiving in defeat.

The Maitland yellow was also very harsh and he had his input to that decision by viewing the replays. Every man and his dog could see he's looking for the interception, Maitlands only fault was not grabbing with both hands.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Maitland yellow was also very harsh and he had his input to that decision by viewing the replays. Every man and his dog could see he's looking for the interception, Maitlands only fault was not grabbing with both hands.

The issue is not that Joubert is suddenly a bad referree, but that there were 3 big calls in the game. Each of which had a significant impact on the result. Each of which went the wong way.

• Yellow carding of Maitland. 10 mins against 14 men is huge advantage to Australia, albeit the only manged a net gain of 4 points if i recall correctly.
  • The failure to review the late hit on Hogg, which given the time it happened and the likely impact had he given the correct decision would have meant it almost impossible forthe Australians to have the ball back for another attempt to score.
  • The incorrectly called penalty.

I can easily see that the 3rd was a judgement call. He got it wrong, but he didn't have the option to review it.

The other 2 are poor decisions that should have been avoided. How he came to a deliberate knock on decision showed a serious error of judgement. There was no excuse for him interpretating it as deliberate. He had every camera angle and all the time under the sun. My concern here is that he told the TMO what he was seeing in a way that did not allow the TMO to disagree with him. "I am seeing a deliberate knock on on an overlap situation, and a a yellow card. Do you agree?" He did not allow the TMO to do his job. Given the very public way that the conversation is broadcast, Joubert allowed the TMO no way of publically disagreeing with him without a degree of embarrassment on one side. It was poor use of the TMO option.

(what would have happenmed if the TMO had said "No Craig, I do not see that. I see an attempt to intercept the ball that resulted in a knock on. As it was a potential scoring opportunity, I recommend a Penalty rather than a scrum to Australia." )

Joubert should have allowed the TMO to do his job. In the way that he did with the disallowed Australian try. Where he asked the tMO to check something, and then allowed the tMO to reiview it and advise the decision he had to take. Much in the same way the Third Umpire works in cricket. This 'communication barrier' between Referee and TMO, possibly led to the TMO takign the easy option on the late hit on Hogg.

Joubert is not a bad referree, his use and control of the TMO is what has caused the after match explosion. (And his quite extraordinary behaviour at the final whistle).

Fuxakes. Man up and live with the bad decision. Every team gets them.

If that was directed at me, then you will notice i am not complaining over the result. I am trying to point out why Joubert is coming under criticism for his performance. As I said on one of my earlier posts. The annoying thing is that even with all these decisions going against us, we were still in control of our own destiny and a poorly executed line out (which should be a bread and butter process to a professional player) was what

ultimately cost us victory.

And as a supporter of a provincial football team in Scotland, we definately get our share of bad decisions when playing the big boys ......... :lol:;)

He had a shocker in the Super Rugby final 2 years ago as well, pinged McCaw for a penalty in the dying seconds that Foley scored from to win for the Waratahs.

It was admitted after the game that it wasn't a penalty.

It was last years (2014). And if i remember correctly he penalized him for not entering a ruck "through the gate" after a Waratahs player slipped so no ruck had been formed.

I'm not buying all this he felt tension or whatever reason they are giving for his conduct after the final whistle. Hugh Dallas got his forehead split by a coin during the first half of an Old Firm league decider and still finished the game.

I'm not buying all this he felt tension or whatever reason they are giving for his conduct after the final whistle. Hugh Dallas got his forehead split by a coin during the first half of an Old Firm league decider and still finished the game.

Who knows, it may be true.

If it is, then he's surely no longer capable of handling major games?

Any tension was self inflicted, if he was man enough to make the call and then stand by it, he should have been man enough to fulfil his duties as match referee and not run away.

If he'd gone up to Greig Laidlaw and said I'm sorry but I think I have made a massive mistake he would at least have retained some dignity.

Man up, hold the heids up, get the heids doon (contradiction here I know) and move on and take the six nations

This wallowing in self pity is getting beyond a joke, we've had enough of the poor us routine the last fortnight with the fitba' team letting us down. The last thing we need is the Findlay's, Hugo's and Lachlan's boring the pantz aff us with the "woe is us" patter

I think that is the worst decision. On cool reflection you can see why Joubert awarded the penalty for offside. The late tackle on Hogg should have been called by the TMO resulting in a penalty (or scrum) as well as a yellow card.

Late tackle is a "double" penalty - team have the option of a penalty where the ball was kicked or a penalty where the ball lands. If it lands in touch, or within 15m of the touchline, it's on the 15m line in line with where it lands. Effectively in this case, Scotland would have had a penalty on the 15m line up round halfway.

Late tackle is a "double" penalty - team have the option of a penalty where the ball was kicked or a penalty where the ball lands. If it lands in touch, or within 15m of the touchline, it's on the 15m line in line with where it lands. Effectively in this case, Scotland would have had a penalty on the 15m line up round halfway.

Ah that explains the penalty Argentina got for an identical foul against Ireland an hour before our game. I didn't know that rule and couldn't work out why they ended up scoring from a penalty for a late tackle in the 22

For what it's worth I'll now be a fan at the 6 nations. I usually hate rugby but really enjoyed our performances. Never seen a Scotland team score so many tries. Will we be able to keep this up? All the team still relatively young?

For what it's worth I'll now be a fan at the 6 nations. I usually hate rugby but really enjoyed our performances. Never seen a Scotland team score so many tries. Will we be able to keep this up? All the team still relatively young?

Hopefully. Should have a lot of belief. If they front up and get really stuck in for 80 mins (fitness defo improved ) they will do well. Would love to have had the french first at Murrayfield instead of our breathern over the border... cause I'd expect a backlash from England.. but we should cope.

On another note it was great to see the English crowd supporting us on Sunday. .. are we better together (absolutely not) but the nation's should be firm friends..

You also get the option of where the next opposition player plays the ball. As it bounced on another 5 metres before the Aussie caught it we'd have been even further forward.

Archived