RWC 2015

The Gudderman

Referee Craig Joubert was wrong to award a last-minute penalty against Scotland in their World Cup quarter-final defeat by Australia at Twickenham, says World Rugby.
More to follow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34576756

But then again, everyone gets bum decisions. No point going over board with the analysis?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was the blue cuff incident not Rob Andrew in the Calcutta cup match about 1993/94 ?

91 was the big Gav missed penalty staright in front of the posts when the score was level

(Or are you suggesting 91 and the blue cuff incident were seperate incidents and I have read it wrong?)

Yes I meant both as separate incidents, but just goes to show its that long since we were in a position to really complain about loses

That makes it worse. I'd much prefer a whitewash.

Here's the statement.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115761

Easy way out for them is to say he was wrong, cite the Aussie for the late challenge and ban him and hope that shuts everyone up. then they'll pray its a Australia v NZ final like they always do.

Hopefully Joubert just ruined his career and is forced to back to South Africa to live out a miserable existence disgraced from the limelight.

Over a borderline call?

I get the anger. The genuine hatred for the guy goes too far.

I'm still gutted at this. I'd have preferred there to have been no controversy at all, it's so much worse to hear that all it would have taken was one correct decision from 3 - a different line out, the offside or the late tackle - and we'd be one match against Argentina away from the final

South African fans hounded Bryce Lawrence out of the game after the last world cup. Thats probably a bit too far but hatred is perfectly acceptable IMO.

Probably a bit too far? Jesus. The guy has made a mistake. The grief he's getting / is going to get is pretty horrendous. Shit like this does nothing to intice people into refereeing.

Probably a bit too far? Jesus. The guy has made a mistake. The grief he's getting / is going to get is pretty horrendous. Shit like this does nothing to intice people into refereeing.

There's making mistakes and there's literally ruining the hopes and dreams of a nation.

He deserves all the grief he gets and was very lucky to avoid a kicking from Hogg at full time.

Predictably the statement from world rugby seems to completely ignore some of the outstanding issues here. We already knew that the penalty decision was an error and that by the protocol could not be referred to TMO albeit as others have said some other matches seem to have had a vitrtually constant dialogue between the ref and TMO thus a total lack of consistency.

What we really want to know is why reasonable requests from the Scottish team re the late and dangerous tackle on Hogg were ignored and whether the perpetrator of the challenge is to be cited.

For ref and even worse TMO to miss that is a disgrace. Joubert and the TMO totally shat making a decision on an incident that Stevie Wonder could have seen was foul play,

I fully expect World Rugby to just ignore the issue from now. They`ll say they`ve made a statement and they`ll stick to that. I suspect if the Scottish players had behaved as Joubert did at time up sanctions would inevitably have followed. Given the best World Rugby could come up with earlier in the day was to suggest Joubert either "sensed hostility " or was "desperate to reach the toilet" for presumably a pish, a shit or a celebratory w**k they were never going to clarify what should have happened at FT. Really poor.

No surprise to see Joubert didn`t get Australia V Argentina semi. If NZ beat SA as i think they will I wonder if he`ll be considered for the final. :o

Archived