RWC 2015

The Gudderman

Has joubert resurfaced

Regardless of decisions.. the fact that he sprinted off at end instead of shaking hands with players who had contributed to perhaps the best QF in WC history (99 France v NZ) aside, is a despicable cowardly act. Should not referee at top level again because of this.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if he did, surely he would have gone to both dressing rooms after he had finished?

You would think so but I doubt very much he did.

Despite my endless posting on this thread I generally don`t give a tinker`s toot about rugby. I`ll watch the odd international but if (when) we lose I`ve generally forgotten about it within a very short period of time. I`m such a big rugby fan that the last time I was at Murrayfield it still had terracing. Guess I`m just finding it tough to get over my real sense of injustice.

Today proved that when you don't use technology critical decisions are incorrect. I agree though that football would manage to f**k it up even more spectacularly than rugby given the ego of the average football ref.

I didn't think anyone would miss the point by so much.

I have two questions for you.

Assuming we have video technology in football, under what circumstances would you propose that there could be a video referral?

Who should be able to make a referral?

I'd be amazed if he wasn't. The IRB have to be seen to be strong and with the uproar from this they'll try and appease people with the citing. End of the day we're still out and that was a decision that could have had a major impact on the result given the state if the game at the time so who gives a f**k.

If they cite him as they should they will admit both the ref and the TMO got a huge decision wrong. Even if ref doesn`t think it is the TMO can raise it as foul play i.e. late challenge and/or no attempt to use arms in a tackle. How can they justify missing that! It`s not something that passed the game by, it was there for all to see on the big screen. They`ll hide behind whether or not the TMO can be consulted for the penalty and ignore the late tackle IMHO.

It`s such a big thing to acknowledge that I think they`ll sidestep it. Utterly cynical about the whole thing now.

Even the f**k up on the citing of Gray and Ford says it all.

Ridiculous 3 week supsensions. Then we appeal against the severity of the ban but not that there was a ban. So they recind the whole ban with 24 hours to go before todays match. Utterly clueless and driven by politics. Fully expect Blatter to be the next chief of World Rugby. Dreadful people driven by self interest.

The whole process was terrible. Ford and Gray should not have been citiedin the first plce. If they were going to be citied, they should not have been citied by the Australian Citing Officer, simply on the grounds of perceived impartiality. To then have them banned for 4 weeks, plus 1 week to make an example of them, less 2 weeks for good previous behaviour (the methodology behind the numbers is baffling in itself) by a Judge whose knowledge of the game is not of a suitable level was astounding. It was the most bizarre system i have ever seen in sport arbitration!

To then have the appeals heard on the Friday, but not announced until Saturday was not ideal either in terms of Scottish preperation. The very fact that the bans were fully rescinded was also a farce. Albeit it was ultimately the correct decision. Along with some of the previous citings and their conclusions it put the whole process into a state of distrust. Would one of the bigger natons have been put through this? Highly unlikley based on the factual evidence of the rest of the 2015 RWC.

Sir Ian McGeechan made a very interesing observation at full time last night. When considering if a player is being treated fairly by the officials then he says that he asks himself the quesion. "If that was New Zealand, would the same decision have bee arrived at? If the answer is yes, then the payer has been treated fairly".

So would Milner-Skudder have been carded for deliberate knock on? Absolutely not. Would George North have been carded for hitiing Ben Smith late and with no arms?? Absolutely.

Rugby is no different than any other sport. Politics will ensure that 'Big' countries will always get a preferential view.

Absolutely.

In one of Scotlands previous games, (I think it was Samoa or perhaps South Africa) the TMO was in constant communication with the ref. You could clearly hear it on the commentary. The result was that every single big decision was correct. A perfect example of working in tandem to the betterment of the game.

On Sunday, that did not happen. Why not? Was it Jouberts pre match decision to agree with the TMO when he could intervene and when not? They have missed a trick here that could have prevented the ensuing comments on Joubert's performance.

Mind you...had he done the correct thing and carded Mitchell, then Scotland would have had a penalty. Which would have been kicked into touch for a Scottish line out......And where would that have left us........ ;-)

In one of Scotlands previous games, (I think it was Samoa or perhaps South Africa) the TMO was in constant communication with the ref. You could clearly hear it on the commentary. The result was that every single big decision was correct. A perfect example of working in tandem to the betterment of the game.

On Sunday, that did not happen. Why not? Was it Jouberts pre match decision to agree with the TMO when he could intervene and when not? They have missed a trick here that could have prevented the ensuing comments on Joubert's performance.

Mind you...had he done the correct thing and carded Mitchell, then Scotland would have had a penalty. Which would have been kicked into touch for a Scottish line out......And where would that have left us........ ;-)

Had we got a penalty for the late hit it would have been awarded where the ball was caught by Australia. Assuming we did kick it to touch again it would have left us in the Australuan 22. No guarantees they wouldn't have gone the length if the field but we'd have been in a far better position than we were.

Had we got a penalty for the late hit it would have been awarded where the ball was caught by Australia. Assuming we did kick it to touch again it would have left us in the Australuan 22. No guarantees they wouldn't have gone the length if the field but we'd have been in a far better position than we were.

And by the time we had got upfield to take the kick, then taken the line out, 80 minutes would have been up.

And by the time we had got upfield to take the kick, then taken the line out, 80 minutes would have been up.

Pretty much. Even if Australia had won the ball at the line-out they would have had one shot at getting up the field. Like i said no guarantees but I'd have fancied our chances.

We might also have elected for the scrum instead of the penalty to pretty much guarantee posession.

we weren't given the option which is hard to take.

I don't disagree, I was being slightly flippant on the thing that annoyed me most about that whole passage of play. We had it in our own destiny. The forwards had performed brilliantly to win that line out. It was in our hands. As bad as some of the decisions were by Joubert we managed to still end up 2 mins from glory, with the ball in our control. I have absolutely no doubt that a succesful line out would have resulted in us controlling the ball for the remaining time. This is waht annoys me most. We couldn;t deliver a throw that should have been relatively routine for an international team, (even with the rain).

I don't disagree, I was being slightly flippant on the thing that annoyed me most about that whole passage of play. We had it in our own destiny. The forwards had performed brilliantly to win that line out. It was in our hands. As bad as some of the decisions were by Joubert we managed to still end up 2 mins from glory, with the ball in our control. I have absolutely no doubt that a succesful line out would have resulted in us controlling the ball for the remaining time. This is waht annoys me most. We couldn;t deliver a throw that should have been relatively routine for an international team, (even with the rain).

Given the option, how far up the pitch we would have been and the time it takes to set a scrum i`ve no doubt we`d have taken that option. We take the scrum and it`s pretty much game over. Given the rain, tension etc it would have been a much safer option than a lineout. Doesn`t take away it was in our control but it would have been a much lower risk situation had we been given that decision.

Definitely, though it will be a challenge to replicate today's form (and not replicate some of the first half form in the previous games) in the Six Nations - in particular you're going to have England, France and Ireland all wanting to react to their disappointing showings this autumn.

I'm losing track of things but are we on a tour next summer?

EDIT: Apparently yes... but an underwhelming 2-game tour of Japan :lol:?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_mid-year_rugby_union_internationals

Hopefully we can get a 3rd game somewhere like Fiji or Tonga added on. Would be good to play on of them while we are there.

Apparently World Rugby are going to release the details of the referees assessment. This'll be a hoot.

Indeed. It will talk endlessly about sporting integrity, the good of the game, how experienced a ref Joubert is, blah blah blah but in reality use many words to say f**k all. A bit like many of my posts in all honesty. :P

Absolutely gutted after yesterdays match, we had 5 minutes to hold out and a place in the semi final vs Argentina, and as much as we can complain about the ref it was our mistake that cost us the match. This was scotland not learning their lessons, I cant remember which game, but in the last year we were in a similar position winning a game with minutes to go and we go for the risky throw to the tail, lose the ball and the match. We are experts at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

To be fair to Joubert I thought he made the correct decision on the penalty to begin with, I was screaming at the TV for Welsh to leave the ball alone as he was offside and I knew what was coming. It wasn't until you see the replays and it comes off the Australian arm you realise it wasn't. To be fair I think Joubert may have seen the replay on the big screen after the penalty was scored which has maybe got something to do with him legging it.

I dont have a problem with Joubert, my problem is solely with the TMO. Its the TMO that got Maitland yellow carded, Joubert was happy with a scrum for a knock on until the TMO chirps up without any prompting from Joubert, however on the Hogg incident just watching in on the TV you could see is it so why the TMO doesn't but in then I'll never know.

This is nearly as bad as 91 and the blue cuff incident.

My only concern is that as good as we have played we need to back this up during the 6 nations. We have been pretty dreadfull since winning the last 5 nations (2 wins, 2 loses and a draw our best season) and bar the odd win over Australia and South Africa have nothing to show. Glasgow and Edinburgh both need strong league seasons and European campaigns and we need a strong 6 nations where we actually win more than we lose.

Hopefully we can get a 3rd game somewhere like Fiji or Tonga added on. Would be good to play on of them while we are there.

When the touring calendar was announced we were scheduled to play a test in New Zealand too, but NZ have released details of their home fixtures up until the Lions tour and we're not mentioned. If it does go ahead it'll be outside the test window so we'll only have access to domestic players.

I think a home game against the Barbarians prior to Japan would be a decent idea, it's been about 10 years since we played them now and would make up for only having 3 home Scotland games this year.

This is nearly as bad as 91 and the blue cuff incident.

Was the blue cuff incident not Rob Andrew in the Calcutta cup match about 1993/94 ?

91 was the big Gav missed penalty staright in front of the posts when the score was level

(Or are you suggesting 91 and the blue cuff incident were seperate incidents and I have read it wrong?)

Archived