RWC 2015

The Gudderman

In theory, yeah but in practice most players at that level may have a quick word with the ref at certain points. In terms of bigger issues, certainly the captain is the only one allowed to address him, but the difference is the manner in which they do it.

Even an individual clarifying why he was penalised will ask a question rather than start with the traditional football style berating of the ref. You just have to look at the two incidents last night where Namibians were called in for a chat (neck twist and then the yellow at the breakdown) - total respect for the decision and back 10/off the pitch straight away - imagine that happening in football!

Indeed, I should have said supposed to.

I kind of think the football authorities and referees have put themselves in that situation partly. It could still be stopped. If Roy Keane had been sent off for screaming in a referee's face once, and if players were routinely booked for arguing, it would stop instantly. The ten yard rule is almost never used in rugby because it's no longer needed for backchat at any rate.

There's no reason referees in football can't garner the same respect. Some teams are far worse than others for intimidating them.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with football is that there's currently no suitable punishment for aggressive backchat or behaviour. Ten yards has little no no effect given that territory is much less relevant than in rugby as scoring from indirect or direct free kicks is rare (~4%). Yellow cards either aren't that big a deal unless you're e.g. a DM or centre back, or are rarely going to be given if you're already on a yellow.

Ten minute sin bin would do the trick imo. Has a big enough potential impact to discourage that behaviour, but without having to walk the tightrope of yellow and red cards. How good would it be to see four players sin binned for surrounding and harassing a referee?

In theory, yeah but in practice most players at that level may have a quick word with the ref at certain points. In terms of bigger issues, certainly the captain is the only one allowed to address him, but the difference is the manner in which they do it.

Listened to Clive Woodward on 5live the other week in a programme looking back at their World Cup win. He said one of the biggest factors in picking Dawson ahead of Bracken at scrum half for the final was the way that Dawson could bend the ref's ear.

Indeed, I should have said supposed to.

I kind of think the football authorities and referees have put themselves in that situation partly. It could still be stopped. If Roy Keane had been sent off for screaming in a referee's face once, and if players were routinely booked for arguing, it would stop instantly. The ten yard rule is almost never used in rugby because it's no longer needed for backchat at any rate.

There's no reason referees in football can't garner the same respect. Some teams are far worse than others for intimidating them.

I've seen that said a lot but...would it? We're not talking about the most intelligent members of societies with footballers. I think they would continue to do it out of habit, with games either ending with ridiculous lists of bookings and sendings off, or the ref would just shite himself out of making those decisions. Over a long enough time-scale, I'd hope that they would change their behaviour, but I think it's too far gone now. Screaming at a referee is now just considered normal sadly. Of course, if you combine the above by letting rugby referees take the first month of officiating...now that I'd like to see. Who cares if they don't know the rules - sometimes it seems Scottish refs don't either amirite?!

Quite enjoying the World Cup really, without being a huge rugby fan. ITVs coverage has been surprisingly not bad, although I am comparing it to their football coverage, or specifically Clive "Not for me, Clive" Tyldsley.

I've seen that said a lot but...would it? We're not talking about the most intelligent members of societies with footballers. I think they would continue to do it out of habit, with games either ending with ridiculous lists of bookings and sendings off, or the ref would just shite himself out of making those decisions. Over a long enough time-scale, I'd hope that they would change their behaviour, but I think it's too far gone now. Screaming at a referee is now just considered normal sadly. Of course, if you combine the above by letting rugby referees take the first month of officiating...now that I'd like to see. Who cares if they don't know the rules - sometimes it seems Scottish refs don't either amirite?!

Quite enjoying the World Cup really, without being a huge rugby fan. ITVs coverage has been surprisingly not bad, although I am comparing it to their football coverage, or specifically Clive "Not for me, Clive" Tyldsley.

I sort of agree... The football authorities have let this go on too long and show no interest in addressing it.

I think most fans would be okay with ridiculously long lists of yellow cards. If the referee chickens out then he only has himself to blame.

The difference in rugby is the length of bans handed out for red cards as well. In football a 1 or 2 game ban is nothing in the terms of a 36 game season, plus cup games.

In rugby if you get sent off for back chat to the ref you are talking a 4 - 6 week ban minimum depending on good previous behaviour, you get less for punching one of the opposition (already this season i've seen 2 blatant punches in front of the ref that have only merited yellow cards)

In the majority of cases if you get sent off in rugby you are looking at lengthy bans, much tougher than those in football.

John Hardie's out of the Japanese game with "a head knock"; if that's concussion then Blair Cowan shouldn't be far away from his telephone.

Would be a big miss, thought he was one of the bright spots against Japan.

Archived