Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Nadal and Tsitsipas in the longest best of three final since ATP starting recording the times.  3 hrs and 38 minutes to complete the three sets. Tsitsipas was 2cm away from the championship. 

Nadal still having issues with his serve and back, but seemed to improve as the tournament progressed.   Ominously for everyone else that he still triumphed against the most in form player on clay. 

No sign of a Murray appearance in any of the entry lists for the clay season.   With the French pushed back a week, it would be an even shorter grass season if he was waiting for that. 

From next year onwards there will no middle Sunday of rest at Wimbledon.  I’d imagine it means the fourth round will be split over the two days rather than always having the Manic Monday.

Yeah I saw the Murray video too, promoting Castore.  It did feel like a I’m not finished yet kinda vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2021 at 14:25, aDONisSheep said:

Murray knocking up with Djokovic.

Moving pretty well IMHO.

I know this sounds a bit daft but that practice match kind of went like a GS final between the two. 

Murray having the best of the early exchanges, then Djokovic coming through to win in 4.

Apart from the 2 finals where Murray won of course, but the above scenario was more common.

Yep, surely that'll be it after Wimbledon.  Constant injuries and Kim firing out kids almost annually will see him hang up his racket IMO.

He has entered Nottingham as well.   Schedule looking like Nottingham, Queens and then Wimbledon.  Not convinced he’s retiring, I think if he knew it was going to be his swansong he wouldn’t have went to Rome. 

He said he was competitive with both Novak and Schwarzman on clay, certainly top five clay courters in the world.  

If he’s healthy he’ll be wanting Zverev or Medvedev in the first round of Wimbledon.  Big match on centre court to open, and an opportunity to effectively become a top eight seed.  And if he was to retire far better going out to a top seed fighting than meekly being routined by a jobber.

• 2 weeks later...

Osaka fined 15 grand for refusing to take part in any press conferences, she had already said she wouldn't be doing them. She cited the negative effect on mental health of having to face the press at times, especially immediately after defeats. Now all 4 grand slams have issued a joint statement pretty much telling her that if she doesn't do the press she will be kicked out and banned.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/article/statement-from-grand-slam-tournaments-regarding-naomi-osaka