Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He’s my favourite player as well.  He deliberately didn’t celebrate winning the ATP finals as he thought it would be funny when people are looking back at the legendary winners celebrating like mad, and all he does is shrug his shoulders and shakes hands meekly.

His trolling of the US crowd at the start of his run to the final was superb too 

47 minutes ago, Loki said:

He’s my favourite player as well.  He deliberately didn’t celebrate winning the ATP finals as he thought it would be funny when people are looking back at the legendary winners celebrating like mad, and all he does is shrug his shoulders and shakes hands meekly.

His trolling of the US crowd at the start of his run to the final was superb too 

Yep, he's a troll with talent, who will win Grand Slams no question.  Kind of like what Kyrgios and Tomic tried to be, and failed.

Medvedev is my new favourite player.  He's brilliant to watch.  A really unorthodox forehand.

Agreed, been supporting him a long with a couple of others since 2018. His game is very impressive but his ability to perform better the more the crowd is against is what I like most about him - when he gets them riled it’s box office viewing!

23 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Fair play Osaka, the new Serena...stay injury free and she dominates for years

Yep. A pretty standard victory for her against an inferior player.  Her serve was crisp and was catching lines all game.  Her backhand was brilliant as usual. 

She’ll get double figures I reckon.

As good as Osaka is on hard courts, she really struggles on the natural surfaces.  She is without a doubt the best woman's player at the moment and will win many more on hard.  Just needs to transition to clay and grass.  She was wonderful today, made it look so easy, and as thescarf said her backhand is pure money.  It could have been all over against Muguruza, but was able to dig deep as well.  Fully deserved and that's her on four now and that was her first final against someone who wasn't a slam champion.

Brady's only chance was to serve well and she didn't do that at all.

Murray to face Egor Gerasimov in the first round in France.  Will play Bedene or Sinner after that.  Then potentially Hubert Herkacz in the QF Goffin in Sf and  Bautista Agut in the final.

Decent chance for a run if he plays well although Sinner in the second round will beat him on current form and it won’t be close.

There is something inevitable about Djokovic, to beat him you have to play your absolute best and hope that he doesn't play that well.  The level of tennis that he reached quite comfortably knowing this was best of five, was remarkable.  Medvedev floundered and couldn't use anything to get going again.  Medvedev return position was easily exploitable as time after time Novak went a big serve down the T and he could return or if he did it would drop short for Novak to pick up a winner.

Nadal will win the French, Novak Wimbledon and then we have it all to play for in the US Open.  Where the likes of the other players have a genuine chance to win.  Thiem has an opportunity at the French but considering the lesson he gave Novak there last time out, I am not convinced anyone gets close to Nadal on clay again if he is well.

Pretty disappointing final, felt Djokovic didn’t have to get out of third gear. Too one sided, the next generation have a long way to go.
Its now inevitable that Djokovic and Rafa will overtake Fed in the all time grand slam table. Got a suspicion Novak will end up with the most when they’re all retired, he’s an absolute machine and you feel his body is going to last longer than Nadal’s.

31 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Loki said:
Of the last 11 Wimbledon’s he’s won five, if that doesn’t make him a king I’m not sure what does.

Not disputing that, didn't actually know it was that much tbh, but level below his dominance at Oz and Nadals dominance at French though.

Novak 5, Murray 2*, Federer 2, Nadal 1 plus one not held.  It's dominance on a surface that isn't his favourite.  Three of the titles he achieved by beating Federer the grass court GOAT.  Cameron2000's point is spot on, he is the King of Australia and Wimbledon in the last 11 years.

The thing about Djokovic is that his serve is getting better and better (soooo accurate) - with the next gen’s lack of experience/variation on grass it’s really difficult to see him not winning there this year.

I expect Federer to struggle in general now but definitely wouldn’t put it beyond him to reach the later stages of Wimbledon once more.

Nadal to me looks very suspect in any match that goes beyond a 3rd set - luckily for him he’s the best at finishing matches in 3. I think someone could beat him at the French this year by out lasting him (last year I remember thinking things could have got very interesting v Schwartzman and Djokovic if they’d nicked a set)