Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

If Murray plays as well as he can he will win, or if Nadal plays badly.

Problem is even if Murray were to play his best tennis, he will almost certainly lose. Got a chance on other surfaces, but this is Nadal on clay at the French Open.

the bbc commentary team on tv are rubbish, but they raise an interesting question. has Nadal ever lost a set (on clay) leading 5-1?

Wouldn't have thought so.

But that's not hugely surprising. I'd be surprised if either Federer or Djokovic had either.

He coming more into this and Nadal is making errors he never makes. He has fought his way from 5-1 down to getting break points for 5-5. There is definately a chane for him today.

Looks like another Wimbledon of last year scenario. Hopefully 3 relatively close sets, in a match Murray has never at any point been going to win.

I'll be disappointed if Rafa drops a set as I have him 3-0 for a fair wedge.

Tbd to Murray he is playing really well, any other sutrace and he would probably e winning, but on clay he was never going to beat Nadal. He is simply too good in Paris. Even if he does make mistakes, he just grounds out points.

A bit early to be writing Murray off is it not? Nadal is well below his usual level of play this year, although I must admit I have been away all week and haven't seen Nadal's matches against Ljubicic or Soderling, also missing Murray's match against Troicki and most of the match against Chela.

Why is Nadal inevitably going to win? Why should Murray start going for ridiculous winners when he is having plenty of success rallying with him? Some strange comments on this thread today.

its not inevitable its just statistically probable.

how is he 'having plenty of success rallying' do you have the rally length/points won stat there?

if Murray is to have any joy in this or the next set -obviously Rafa will win but- he needs to shorten the points.

Saying something definitely will happen is not the same as saying that it is more likely to happen than not. You can get about 9/1 on Murray currently, seems not the worst bet in the world to me. I would agree that Nadal is the more likely winner, but Murray has more chance than he would have had any of the previous several years in this situation (providing his ankle/fitness holds up).

The rally stats that were flashed up 20 minutes ago showed Murray and Nadal had won exactly the same amount of the longer rallies. I don't need statistics for that anyway as I can see it with my own eyes. Murray doesn't need to change anything, he just needs to play the big points better (3/12 on break points as opposed to 4/8 for Nadal).

Why is Nadal inevitably going to win? Why should Murray start going for ridiculous winners when he is having plenty of success rallying with him? Some strange comments on this thread today.

Because he's a machine.

Because he's a machine.

I take it you haven't watched him play for the past two months then. It seems you have the people who watch tennis a handful of times per year out in force just because Murray happens to be in the semi finals.

I take it you haven't watched him play for the past two months then. It seems you have the people who watch tennis a handful of times per year out in force just because Murray happens to be in the semi finals.

Your so right, with your superb in depth tennis following knowledge, rallying him is working so well.:rolleyes:

regardless of whether anyone has seen him in the past few months. he's clearly, statistically better at the slams than Murray. Tell me that's wrong.

2-0 see.

This is the French Open we are talking about. I assume you're aware of Nadal's record there? The greatest in tennis history? That's not something which is significantly affected by his recent form IMO.

The great players deliver at the top level. Your "he just needs to play the big points better (3/12 on break points as opposed to 4/8 for Nadal)" illustrates the difference. It's not a big one looking at the cold numbers, but it's a world of difference when it comes to determining who wins and who loses.

A bit early to be writing Murray off is it not? Nadal is well below his usual level of play this year, although I must admit I have been away all week and haven't seen Nadal's matches against Ljubicic or Soderling, also missing Murray's match against Troicki and most of the match against Chela.

Against Soderling the usual Nadal was more or less back. Soderling was blown away.

This has been a superb two sets to be honest. Murray playing some great stuff. Still surprised sometimes at the number of times he loses his own service games from forty love or fifteen ahead.

Never mind, Queens Club next. :D