Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Simon or Ebden next then Nishikori/Dolgopolov in the semi. He should handle it.

Ebden in the quarters. Nope I've never heard of him either. Nadal lost to Florian Mayer so Murray is the highest seed left.

Ebden in the quarters. Nope I've never heard of him either. Nadal lost to Florian Mayer so Murray is the highest seed left.

Yep. He'll probably play Ferrer in the final. A guy he demolished in Tokyo last week. Looks like the year end ranking of 3 is in the bag.

Ferrers through as is Nishikori. Looks like Lopez is going to beat Mayer with ease and Murrays on after this.

So it should be -

Murray - Nishikori

Lopez - Ferrer

All of whom Andy should beat easily. Actually Nishikori did really well to beat Dolgopolov with as much ease as he did, really played well, but he doesn't have nearly enough weapons to beat Murray. As for the other semi, if it does pan out the way I expect it will be quite a close one I imagine, chances are Ferrer will win. But Murray thumped him a couple of weeks ago and Lopez has never caused him trouble. If Murray doesn't win Shanghai I will be very, very surprised and he should be the player to beat come the end of season showdown in London.

Ferrers through as is Nishikori. Looks like Lopez is going to beat Mayer with ease and Murrays on after this.

So it should be -

Murray - Nishikori

Lopez - Ferrer

All of whom Andy should beat easily. Actually Nishikori did really well to beat Dolgopolov with as much ease as he did, really played well, but he doesn't have nearly enough weapons to beat Murray. As for the other semi, if it does pan out the way I expect it will be quite a close one I imagine, chances are Ferrer will win. But Murray thumped him a couple of weeks ago and Lopez has never caused him trouble. If Murray doesn't win Shanghai I will be very, very surprised and he should be the player to beat come the end of season showdown in London.

Yep. That's the line up for tomorrow as expected. As I said above you'd expect it to be a Murray-Ferrer final. Can't really see anything other Murray keeping the title. Ferrer's game plays right into his hands.

My tickets came through yesterday for the final of the ATP Tour Finals. Cannot wait, hopefully see Murray in action against Nadal/ Fed/Djok :D

I was planning going to the French Open next year but the ticket prices are astromonical.

If Murray wins the tournament, I think he goes to #3, Federer is 500-odd ahead of him but will lose the 600 he got from Shanghai last year. Murray got 1000 last year by winning and obviously has to defend it but if he does then he'll edge ahead.

I have been known to be ludicrously wrong on these calculations before though.

Even if he does lose in Shanghai, Murray only has to defend 625 between Monday and the end of the season whereas Federer has 2360, so you'd think the way he's playing he'll get there and achieve that particular goal.

I was planning going to the French Open next year but the ticket prices are astromonical.

The only reason I got these is because I bank with Barclays. They were doing a special pre sale and I chanced it for the final.

Got 2 tickets for £110. Just hoping for 2 of the top 4 to reach the final and I will be happy, preferably Murray.

If Murray wins the tournament, I think he goes to #3, Federer is 500-odd ahead of him but will lose the 600 he got from Shanghai last year. Murray got 1000 last year by winning and obviously has to defend it but if he does then he'll edge ahead.

I have been known to be ludicrously wrong on these calculations before though.

Even if he does lose in Shanghai, Murray only has to defend 625 between Monday and the end of the season whereas Federer has 2360, so you'd think the way he's playing he'll get there and achieve that particular goal.

You're quite correct, the Sky commentators confirmed this yesterday.

On that subject, why does Peter Fleming look like he's wacked out of his gourd all the time?

Another impressive performance, but the last few weeks have simply highlighted how far Murray is ahead of the also-rans in the mens game. Next season is arguably going to be his best chance of a slam.

Yep, it's largely been achieved with Djokovic and Federer absent and Nadal going through the motions. Without them we already knew that Murray was the next best around.

Rising to 3rd in the world is meaningless too in reality. It doesn't change in any way his draw path to any major tournament. 3rd and 4th are effectively treated the same in the draws. He'll still be opposite side of the draws to Federer and bound to meet one of the big two in a semi final. The only potential benefit is in the unlikely event that one of the big two is unfit to play a Major and then he'd be seeded 2 and avoid the other to a final.

To be honest Murray has for some time been right up with the others in three set competition anyway. But all three of them seem to have an ability to raise their game for five set majors that he generally hasn't quite reached.

I wouldn't disagree with you about next season much. It'll certainly be his best chance of the remaining years. You could probably make a case that it isn't really likely to be any better than this season past. Federer is undeniably heading in the wrong direction and no-one from below is close to the big three yet so in that respect he has a chance especially if either or both of Djokovic and Nadal struggle with injury at all. However, if they don't I'm not convinced he's any nearer to beating them over five set tourneys than he ever was.

Yep, it's largely been achieved with Djokovic and Federer absent and Nadal going through the motions. Without them we already knew that Murray was the next best around.

Rising to 3rd in the world is meaningless too in reality. It doesn't change in any way his draw path to any major tournament. 3rd and 4th are effectively treated the same in the draws. He'll still be opposite side of the draws to Federer and bound to meet one of the big two in a semi final. The only potential benefit is in the unlikely event that one of the big two is unfit to play a Major and then he'd be seeded 2 and avoid the other to a final.

To be honest Murray has for some time been right up with the others in three set competition anyway. But all three of them seem to have an ability to raise their game for five set majors that he generally hasn't quite reached.

I wouldn't disagree with you about next season much. It'll certainly be his best chance of the remaining years. You could probably make a case that it isn't really likely to be any better than this season past. Federer is undeniably heading in the wrong direction and no-one from below is close to the big three yet so in that respect he has a chance especially if either or both of Djokovic and Nadal struggle with injury at all. However, if they don't I'm not convinced he's any nearer to beating them over five set tourneys than he ever was.

Aye, if Murray needs a sports psychologist I doubt he'll be giving you a ring. Jeesh. Talk about glass half empty :(

So Murray only humped Nadal because he was going through the motions? Crap. He hammered him. End of story. If you think Nadal goes through the motions against anybody it just shows an incredible ignorance of Nadal's mindset and a complete lack of respect to Murray.

surely it means he can perhaps target no.1 post us open next year?

i doubt djokovic will be as dominant again and he has a lot of points to defend compared to murray who can pick up a lot of points in the spring hard court season.

obviously grand slams are the priority but if he was to win the AO and have decent showings in indian wells and miami then he would have closed the gap considerably on nadal and nole.