Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

There's no doubt in my mind that on his day, Murray can beat anyone in the world.

Unfortunately there's always that wee nagging doubt as to his mental attitude on the big occasions. I think he will win a major eventually, and I just might risk a wee flutter on the US Open - if the price is right.

I just might risk a wee flutter on the US Open - if the price is right.

6/1 is probably the best you'll get at traditional bookmakers, is this price right or wrong? Like I say, wait for the draw and strike immediately if it is favourable as prices don't tend to move when the draw comes out. If people see the draw and start piling on, then the price will fall. Weight of money rather than the immediate reaction to the draw will move the price.

A lot of people will have you believe that the US Open draw is fixed anyway due to the way they carry it out. Read about it here: ESPN article

He definitely improved as the week went on - going for his shots more and playing with more freedom. It just shows if he takes the shackles off he can compete with the top 3. It's just getting the timing right for the fortnight which would see him with a great chance of winning a Slam.

He still needs to quit with the sarcastic smiling and comments to his team though. I just think to myself 'cunt' when I see him doing it.

The defeat to Anderson last week in Canada was just a freak result, though the Sky guys were keen to keep mentioning it. Not so much the ex-pro's but the presenters.

Edited by TheScarf

Didn't you once proclaim Ernests Gulbis as one of the greatest players in the world recently? Your opinion on tennis, infact, anything, is a load of pish.

That's definitely what happened dubs...

:huh:

And since you've crawled back from under your rock, feel free to answer the post you seemed to miss a few months ago. I wonder why that was. :rolleyes:

I really shouldn't bite, but I will for one last time. :lol:

I'm not so sure given all your other slightly bizarre posts. I was just reminding you as you give the impression that you think Murray is the best player in the world, I certainly get the impression that you think he is better than Nadal.

I am generally very positive about Andy Murray. However, this thread is clearly full of people who don't follow tennis closely and talk him up a little too much. This is perfectly understandable of course as people want to see a Scottish player winning. I prefer a more balanced view, you can't allow bias to get in the way if you want to make a profit from betting on tennis and I don't. If people are talking Murray up too much, it's only fair to offer an honest opinion. I suppose you could read this to me being biased against Murray, especially if you have an agenda against me, but this is obviously not the case. I wish him well when I haven't bet against him as British tennis would be in a parlous state without him. It would be great to have a British male grand slam champion for the first time since 1936, but I think we may be waiting for some time yet.

I watched every Murray and Djokovic match during the Australian Open from start to finish. I was offering an opinion based on what I'd seen. I was absolutely correct even though Djokovic didn't hit the heights he did against Federer. I also never said Murray would need Nadal to retire to get past him, although I thought from the very start that Murray would be very unlikely to win the tournament. A very favourable draw, plus Nadal's exit, saw him reach the final but I don't think anyone could argue that he was close to winning it.

I offered the opinion earlier in the thread that Nadal had improved since last year, which anyone who watches tennis regularly will tell you. He added about 8mph to his first serve for starters by using a different grip, which played a bit part in his US Open triumph. Murray, in my opinion, has stood still since last year or perhaps even gone slightly backwards. His performances at the end of 2009, the beginning of 2010 and in reaching the Australian Open final in 2010 were far better than his performances twelve months later. I was also basing my prediction on Nadal being fit and well. As soon as he clearly wasn't against Tomic, I retracted what I'd said previously.

Wrong.

As Nadal has said many times himself, and had it said of him by others, the US Open is by far the hardest of the four majors for him to win as it's significantly the fastest surface. Indeed, until about half way through last year's tournament I thought there was virtually no chance of him ever winning the US Open. His performances in the latter stages were unbelievably good, with the final win against Djokovic being the best match I've ever seen him play.

You could argue about whether Wimbledon or the Australian Open suits Nadal more. Since they changed the surface at Melbourne Park in 2008, replacing Rebound Ace with the current Plexicushion surface, the courts play slower with more bounce and suit Nadal more than Wimbledon. Therefore of the four majors, only the French Open is a better surface for Nadal.

Nadal beat Murray 6-4 7-6 6-4 at Wimbledon last year. "it was as tight a tennis match you'll ever likely to see" :unsure: That is as good an example of a biazrre comment as I've seen. Murray served for the second set against Nadal at Wimbledon, and if I remember right had two set points. He utterly bottled it under pressure, just like he did in similar circumstances in the third set of the Australian Open final against Federer last year (five set points, two easy volleys to win the set missed). How a straight sets win can be as tight a tennis match you'll ever likely to see is beyond me. Good players don't beat other good players 6-1 6-1 6-1 at Wimbledon. A straight sets win, however it comes about, is not close. Maybe if all three sets had been close tie breaks you could say that, but they weren't so you can't. You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think otherwise. A close match would indicate that Nadal was in danger of losing, which he never was. I also never used the word "crushing", I just said Nadal won easily, which he did.

Just like he was in all of the other matches, apart from against Melzer. I assume you didn't actually watch any of the others and just decided to disagree with me because you like to? :lol:

Just like Henman beat Federer countless times and Davydenko has beaten Nadal countless times (six each). I don't know many people who think Federer can't be better than Henman because he lost to him several times, or likewise with Nadal and Davydenko. Murray doesn't even have a winning record against Djokovic (3-5) or Nadal (4-9). I suppose having an 8-6 winning record against Federer must make him better than Federer?

This is my last word on this. If you want to keep arguing then feel free but I'll leave it to others to disagree. If you want to think that Murray is the best tennis player ever, great. You seem to be particularly convinced that he is better than Nadal. Again, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't think you'll find many people sharing it.

I don't think that draw is especially bad for Murray. Soderling and del Potro will have their work cut out to get to the quarters, and he'll have to beat one of them at the most. del Potro could've been a potential third round opponent and Soderling has been injured and not at his best lately. If Murray has to play Haase, Lopez or Wawrinka, he won't lose much sleep over that. Although given what happened against Wawrinka last year and Cilic the year before, he can't take anything for granted.

• 2 weeks later...

Gold star for observance.

Circumstance has turned it into even more of an awful, awful draw though.

If you say so. He murdered Young yesterday and he's giving Isner a seeing to today.

If you say so. He murdered Young yesterday and he's giving Isner a seeing to today.

:huh:

It's undeniable. Playing 3 games in 3 days is absolutely brutal, and a far tougher than he's ever had before, regardless of the opponents.