Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Somebody really ought to learn what PEDs actually do.

between hgh, steroids, testosterone, epo and blood transfusions they can do just about anything.

the only people who truly know 'what' they do are the victor conte, michele ferrari types who are developing them. when dwain chambers got busted the testers didn't have a clue about the majority of things he was up to.

why would PEDs be rife in cycling, athletics, football, baseball and gridiron but not tennis?

For the reason I said earlier. The huge risk compared to the pretty small benefit just wouldn't be worth it. Things like cycling and athletics there would be a pretty high incentive, football and rugby slightly less so, then things like tennis, and finally sports like snooker and darts where it wouldn't be worth it at all.

You keep going on about Djokovic, he won a Grand-Slam in 2008, so presumably he was on PED then, then stopped taking them and realised he couldn't hack it without them, and then started taking them again ?

For the reason I said earlier. The huge risk compared to the pretty small benefit just wouldn't be worth it. Things like cycling and athletics there would be a pretty high incentive, football and rugby slightly less so, then things like tennis, and finally sports like snooker and darts where it wouldn't be worth it at all.

You keep going on about Djokovic, he won a Grand-Slam in 2008, so presumably he was on PED then, then stopped taking them and realised he couldn't hack it without them, and then started taking them again ?

in 2008 at the AO federer, who he beat in the semi, had mono and he played tsonga in the final. it's a bit different to winning 50 out of 51 matches and beating nadal 5 times in a row.

federer has nine figure career earnings, i'd say the potential benefits of gaining an edge over your rivals in tennis are great. i understand what you are saying about technique but you only need to look at the improvement of murray when he got into shape to see the benefits of increased fitness to an elite tennis player. again i ask, what is responsible for the remarkable improvement in novak?

you only need to look at the examples of marion jones and lance armstrong to see what is possible due to science being ahead of the testers and the complacency of governing bodies and the media who are happy to let the good times roll. what is happening in men's tennis right now is exceptional and what we should know from other sports - baseball and cycling in particular - is that when something seems to good to be true it usually isn't.

Edited by T_S_A_R

what is responsible for the remarkable improvement in novak?

A change in diet. Along with acceptance that being a party boy and the world number 1 are incompatible.

I'm not saying it is impossible for top tennis players to be drugs cheats (there have been cases in the past), but unless you can get drugs to give you the best backhand in the game, it isn't Djokovic.

yes that's what i am suggesting. you don't believe that his physical transformation post wimbledon 2008 was suspicious?

Erm, no I don't. Tim Henman embarked on a physical training programme that took him from weed to relatively ripped as well - was he also a drugs cheat?

Did you ever see, or read anything, about the programme Murray embarked on with Brad Gilbert. It was brutal. Long hours, huge physical exertions, incredible heat, altitude. That's what got him fit.

I'm not sure of the point of the homoerotic pictures montage was either...

You are aware that not all muscle gain is achieved via drugs? There's these heavy silver things that people lift I believe...

A change in diet. Along with acceptance that being a party boy and the world number 1 are incompatible.

I'm not saying it is impossible for top tennis players to be drugs cheats (there have been cases in the past), but unless you can get drugs to give you the best backhand in the game, it isn't Djokovic.

steroids didn't improve the swing of barry bonds and mark mcgwire in mlb but the extra power, stamina, durability and recovery remarkably improved their overall performance.

as i said earlier andy murray's improvement post WO 2008 wasn't due to any technical changes in his ball striking it was due to increased physical fitness. indeed his whole career arc has followed the pattern of his physical maturity rather than technique.

i don't buy the diet excuse, we seen these reasons given before in other sports. i'm sure you read articles last year slamming djokovic for his poor fitness, i linked to one above. to go from miles behind nadal in fitness to clearly superior to him in 12 months when nadal has had no noticeable drop seems extremely dodgy to me.

nadal is the key to the full thing. there is plenty of evidence that spanish government covers up and even encourages PED use amongst their athletes. have you noticed that spanish sportsman don't seem to tire? nadal was implicated in the operation puerto scandal in 2006, on paper he is extremely dodgy. the pattern exposed in other sports is of one athlete from a dodgy background having success due to PEDs and other deciding they have no option but to follow suit.

Erm, no I don't. Tim Henman embarked on a physical training programme that took him from weed to relatively ripped as well - was he also a drugs cheat?

Did you ever see, or read anything, about the programme Murray embarked on with Brad Gilbert. It was brutal. Long hours, huge physical exertions, incredible heat, altitude. That's what got him fit.

i don't know about henman but rusedski was a drugs cheat.

i don't doubt brad gilbert was training him hard. but brad gilbert also trained aggassi who has admitted to having a positive test covered up and refused to take a drugs test on a least one occasion. aggassi's career arc is, to say the least, suspicious.

I'm not sure of the point of the homoerotic pictures montage was either...

You are aware that not all muscle gain is achieved via drugs? There's these heavy silver things that people lift I believe...

the pictures were a response to a poster who challenged my assertion that tennis players are starting to ressemble wwe wrestlers. the same thing happened when steroid culture took over in baseball.

answer me this. do you believe that mary pierce and/or jennifer capriati were doping?

Been googling some stuff on tennis doping and found a blog that is looking into it

Tennis has a Steriod Problem

The most interesting links i found were a theory of Nadal's 2009 season and this document which shows the doping tests for 2009 which shows 154 out of competition tests, none of which tested for EPO. The blog also highlights Nadal's cyclical injury problems that require platelet rich plasma (a blood transfusion) which he can get a medical exemption for.

Got my Union flag ready to wave tomorrow as I'm off to watch the Brits whip some Luxemburger ass...

Go GB!!

do you know if there are still tickets,cause I was thinking about going on Sunday??

do you know if there are still tickets,cause I was thinking about going on Sunday??

I'm sure there are.. I have friends there today and they said yesterday there were still Friday tickets available.

I wouldn't expect any day to be a sell out, though the crowds will be really good. Quite surprised to hear A Mur and J Mur are playing the doubs tomorrow. Should really be Fleming with Jamie Murray.

Just a pity they have those Stirling University clowns "cheerleading" again. That's cringeworthy stuff...

Edited by H_B