Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Quality stuff from Murray today. Whether Lopez, or Kubot he should have an easier match in the quarter final and can easily beat Nadal or JMDP in the semi. I can see him in the final at least. Quietly confident he'll go all the way and win it this time though, he's looking better and more relaxed than ever before.

Are you sure about that? :huh:

Gasquet I didn't think would ever trouble Murray seriously today. Gasquet's kind draw made him look like he was playing better than he was. If Murray ends up playing Kubot in the quarter finals as looks likely, it is like Christmas come early as you'd expect far tougher opposition in a major quarter final. The second major tournament in a row with a kind draw for Murray, hopefully he can cash in and make the final again. He'll probably have to do it the hard way this time though as Nadal probably won't get injured again. He may even lose to del Potro today anyway.

Good performance, but "it's one of the best matches i've seen him play on grass". f**k off Lloyd, just f**k off right now. Don't ever come back.

Aye, it's quite annoying how much they kiss his arse, particularly at Wimbledon. It was a good, professional performance, and he did very well in the first set tie break, but after dropping the first set Gasquet was done. I was expecting more from Gasquet actually, but I'll take it.

I'd say a semi final defeat to Nadal is likely. Final of Australia, semi at Roland Garros and semi at Wimbledon makes 2011 a good year indeed so far.

I don't mind John Lloyd. He is prepared to critisise Murray and has done frequently. They've had the odd verbal joust through the media in the period when Lloyd's Davis Cup captaincy was coming to an end. The likes of Castle, Becker and Rusedski should be told that their services are no longer required as the three of them are all clueless and appear to know little about tennis. If they do know anything, they are extremely poor at expressing themselves and therefore are in the wrong line of work.

I don't mind John Lloyd. He is prepared to critisise Murray and has done frequently. They've had the odd verbal joust through the media in the period when Lloyd's Davis Cup captaincy was coming to an end. The likes of Castle, Becker and Rusedski should be told that their services are no longer required as the three of them are all clueless and appear to know little about tennis. If they do know anything, they are extremely poor at expressing themselves and therefore are in the wrong line of work.

Your probably right about Castle, but he does do a decent job of the main commentary of the action, if you know what I'm saying. Still though, not a patch on Frew and David Mercer.

Yes you're right, he links it all together pretty well and fills the long silences with some pointless waffle. I just find him excrusiatingly annoying, largely because he clearly doesn't watch much tennis through the year and just comes out with all the usual cliches about Nadal and Federer and just seems so smug all the time. Not so keen on Mercer as he just gushes with the same old cliches over and over, but Sir Frew is brilliant. You want a bit more insight on the techical aspects of the game, not just pointless nonsense that anyone can come out with.

There are not that many commentators where you have consensus about whether they're great or ghastly. For me, all sports coverage would be infinitely better if you always had the option to press the red button and watch commentary free. You get it a lot with the Masters 1000 events on Sky and I think it's great. You can watch on mute, but that is almost as bad as listening to Andrew Castle.

Totally agree about Andrew Castle. An obnoxious would be know-it-all c**t who regularly proves that he does not in fact know much at all. Always disrespectful of low ranked players and especially any opponents of Murray. Can't go him at all. Disappear from the commentary box please.

Quality stuff from Murray today. Whether Lopez, or Kubot he should have an easier match in the quarter final and can easily beat Nadal or JMDP (or Berdych/Fish) in the semi. I can see him in the final at least. Quietly confident he'll go all the way and win it this time though, he's looking better and more relaxed than ever before.

<_<

Can Andy Murray do it tomorrow then? Personally i think he has a chance a slim one maybe but a chance..

Ha what a joke, same old same old, sort out sure fucking attitude Murray..

Ha what a joke, same old same old, sort out sure fucking attitude Murray..

Get a fucking grip.

Nadal made 7 (SEVEN) unforced errors all match.

Sure Murray's head dropped, but the simple fact is, in most games - you normally get a 2nd chance and things begin to even out. Not with Nadal - he just keeps beating you down until the match is over.

"Murray bottled it!"

"Murray's shite"

"Murray letting down the nation once again"

All have been said on my Facebook.

What people aren't realising is, is that Nadal is a fantastic player. Murray would have had to do something extraordinary to win the match. He played really well I thought, but Nadal is just a fantastic player. Nothing to do with Murray being "shite".

What people aren't realising is, is that Nadal is a fantastic player. Murray would have had to do something extraordinary to win the match. He played really well I thought, but Nadal is just a fantastic player. Nothing to do with Murray being "shite".

In the past, yes. But Murray completely fell apart after missing that chance to break Nadal early in the second set. No doubt that Nadal is a fantastic player, and Murray is a very good one, but he lost his head today.

"Murray bottled it!"

"Murray's shite"

"Murray letting down the nation once again"

All have been said on my Facebook.

This.

In the past, yes. But Murray completely fell apart after missing that chance to break Nadal early in the second set. No doubt that Nadal is a fantastic player, and Murray is a very good one, but he lost his head today.

Pish.

Get a fucking grip.

Nadal made 7 (SEVEN) unforced errors all match.

Sure Murray's head dropped, but the simple fact is, in most games - you normally get a 2nd chance and things begin to even out. Not with Nadal - he just keeps beating you down until the match is over.

So he made 7 unforced errors all match whats your point?

Murray's head did more than drop he basically gave up, that forehand sitter he missed at the start of the second set signalled the beginning of the end, after that he looked like he was hardly trying, he more or less through in the towel, yes Nadal is a great player there is no denying that but Murray had him in the first set what happened after that shows that Murray needs to do some serious work on the mental side of the game, we all know the ability is there.

So he made 7 unforced errors all match whats your point?

Murray's head did more than drop he basically gave up, that forehand sitter he missed at the start of the second set signalled the beginning of the end, after that he looked like he was hardly trying, he more or less through in the towel, yes Nadal is a great player there is no denying that but Murray had him in the first set what happened after that shows that Murray needs to do some serious work on the mental side of the game, we all know the ability is there.

Giving up and losing belief in your own ability are not the same thing.

It's something he needs to work on if he wants to tackle the top 3, but he is still the 4th best tennis player on the planet. Maybe if people stopped moaning about how shite he is every time he loses to quite possibly the two greatest tennis players who have ever lived, he'd believe in his own ability a little more.

Edited by Mushroom

he basically gave up, ................................ after that he looked like he was hardly trying, he more or less through in the towel,

What a load of utter pish.

Drivel.

he more or less through in the towel

You've obviously never played the game. I sense Wimbledon fortnight syndrome coming from you.

There are still some positives to take from these Championships from a Murray point-of-view. He managed to take Nadal to 4 sets for a start. One aspect of his game which he's improved on is the serve. His 1st serve % has improved a lot on last years championships, and on previous occasions this has proven to be his major downfall. It was evident that today the psychological aspect of his game was his real let down. Prior to missing that point at 15-30 in the second, he had the court covered well and he was matching Nadal in all aspects of the game. The problem with Murray throughout his career is that he gets down on himself far to easily, whereas players like Nadal and Djokovic wouldn't allow a point like that to lead them to a 7 game losing streak. He was simply lacking confidence which was there for all to see and Nadal took advantage of this by moving him around the court. This is the reason why Nadal has been so successful - he can physically grind down his opponent by hitting the ball towards each of the tramlines on consecutive points and being in complete control of the rally. Saying he "*threw in the towel" is complete idiocy. He was evidently making progress mid-way into the final set. Nadal was just too good.

Davis Cup next for Murray, is anyone else going btw? Heading along for the Friday.