Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Well played Andy. Surely his major has to be on its way. Especially if Djokovic has an injury nagging him and Murray is better than Nadal and Federer on hard court.

Might put a tenner on him winning it if the odds are decent.

Edited by Aurora Borealis

Didn't catch the match v Fish or this one but that's a good win and should give him a good confidence boost after last week's shambles.

Oh aye, and Federer is the greatest hard court player of all time. What are you gibbering about?

Well played Andy. Surely his major has to be on its way. Especially if Djokovic has an injury nagging him and Murray is better than Nadal and Federer on hard court.

Tee-hee.

A good confidence booster for Murray. On a side note, hopefully Djokovic's injury isn't too bad and he is fit for the US Open.

Now I understand people have thier opinions, but to suggest Murray is better than those two is fuckig up there with the best of them. Anyway I see McKee is doing a grand job if putting the idiots on their place,keel it up.

Clearly Murray's past results aren't as good as those of Federer and Nadal on hard courts, but at this moment in time he would be a clear favourite against Nadal and probably 50/50 against Federer at least. Nadal was absolutely awful again this week after losing to Dodig in Montreal and Federer has been well beaten by Berdych and Tsonga the past two weeks, as well as losing a set to Machado in the Davis Cup before that. Djokovic will have nine days to recover, so he will probably be fine but Murray isn't in a bad place right now. However before he can worry about the top three, he will have to get to the semi finals at least in New York; the past two years he has been well beaten by Wawrinka and Cilic before getting that far. Murray supporters certainly can be hopeful, but even after today he is still around 7/1 fourth favourite to win the US Open. That might be worth an each-way bet, although I would wait to see whether he is in Nadal or Djokovic half of the draw and whether del Potro might be a potential third or fourth round opponent. Fish is the only other one you'd really want to avoid right now, but he couldn't face Murray before the quarter finals anyway.

Looking forward to the draw. 8)

Now I understand people have thier opinions, but to suggest Murray is better than those two is fuckig up there with the best of them. Anyway I see McKee is doing a grand job if putting the idiots on their place,keel it up.

Well he's not "better" necessarily but I certainly understand the attitude that he has nothing to fear from them on American hardcourts, particularly Nadal. I don't think the point warrants the summary dismissal McKee or you made at this point.

Murray hasn't had a great season really but he has done pretty well in the Majors and timed his run into each of them better than previously. He favours the hardcourt surface, particularly the American ones rather than the Australian ones. It's always been Nadal's poorest surface and his results are mixed on it. He's been binned out early this past fortnight for a start. Federer is better than Murray on hardcourts but isn't getting any younger and is undeniably fading. I don't know that he's dropped below Murray yet, particularly in five set Grand Slam territory, but the day is coming soon when that will be the case. It's really not that fanciful a suggestion.

If fit Murray's greatest concern in the US Open should be Djokovic and then Federer. I suspect that characters such as Fish might even offer more threat than Nadal but I wouldn't be astonished if Rafa bounces back and proves me wrong.

EDITED to add - I see blue4578, who knows more about tennis than I ever will, has already made the same point more eloquently than I. That wasn't there when I started posting.

Edited by Skyline Drifter