Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Ooooohhhhkkkkk :blink::unsure:

Its just the c***s reckon Murray is British yet Henman is English <_<

I broke a Sky remote a few years ago when the camera focussed on Lucy Henman and her parents and the Nigel said:

"Isn't Tim a mother-in-laws dream?"

Cue the Monster having had enough and launching remote at telly only for it to break into three pieces.

D'oh!

Whatever, indeed.

England made the quarter-finals of the World Cup, that makes them part world beaters, technically. :P

No, just Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago and Ecuador.

1-0, a win by the skin of their teeth, and 1-0

v 3 shite teams

England are nowhere near world beaters.

Murray is just like most Scots, technically British but feels Scottish (as proven by his wrstbands) and is proud of it.

The only player out there now who can stop the Fed Express is Nadal, and yet he's got to get his game together more consistently on grass. He's showed signs of this so far in this tournament, but Federer would still have an edge for me at this stage.

With Roddick, Nalbandian, Grosjean etc. out, it's hard to see past Federer.

As for Murray Scottish vs British, I'm with Coddy. He's representing himself, and people should be able to support whomever they choose and not be blackmailed into doing so because he and you were born within a set area of land that happens to be called Scotland.

I support Andy because I love his attitude. And I don't dislike the English because they are English, it's because their media decided they had won the world cup three years ago. There was plenty support for their cricket team last summer becuase the coverage was realistic, measured and on the whole dignified.

As for Murray Scottish vs British, I'm with Coddy. He's representing himself, and people should be able to support whomever they choose and not be blackmailed into doing so because he and you were born within a set area of land that happens to be called Scotland.

But that isnt the issue.

The problem is that in Scotland there are people tuning in to see Murray with ears pressed up to the speakers of the TV, just salivating for the first time the commentator mentions he is British then filling in a scorecard to make sure he is called Scottish more than British.

The only issue Murray ever had with this was when the ignorant Americans called him English, which he clearly is not.

If he is called British for the rest of the tournament I have no problem with that, as he is. Scotland are in tennis terms not an independant federation. I think the BBC are for once more than fair with their "Scottishising" of Murray.

I am not drunk or anywhere near it :unsure: Why should i stop laughing at England? and is it up too you what i do?

I was really hoping you were smashed out of your head last night :lol::lol:

To come out with that amount of drivel otherwise is very unfortunate. I feel sorry for you now and apologise for anything last night. It`s obvious you are a bit "special" :(

If he is called British for the rest of the tournament I have no problem with that, as he is. Scotland are in tennis terms not an independant federation. I think the BBC are for once more than fair with their "Scottishising" of Murray.

That's fair enough because that is the nationality he is entered under. But surely his nationality is not the point either?

He qualified for Wimbledon because he put in the hard work, has the talent, and won enough matches and events in order for his world ranking to be sufficiently high enough for him to qualify for entry surely?

Whether he comes from Scotland or GB, it shouldn't have any influence on his ability to do well or for people to support him or not. That, ultimately, is down to who he is and how he plays.

the three Stooges :lol:

I agree with Skyline Drifter, they'll probably come on today and think they've been totally on form. :blink:

To call anybody names and tell them they have a "ridiculous" attitude because they do not support Scotland is the only ridiculous thing around here. I feel absolutely no passion toward Scotlands national team, there's no point in denying that. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch one of their games either. I just do not care about them.

Also disagree with Codfish - Andy Murray represents Great Britain.

I agree with Skyline Drifter, they'll probably come on today and think they've been totally on form. :blink:

To call anybody names and tell them they have a "ridiculous" attitude because they do not support Scotland is the only ridiculous thing around here. I feel absolutely no passion toward Scotlands national team, there's no point in denying that. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch one of their games either. I just do not care about them.

I have no time for the Scottish international side either. I cant remember the last time I watched them. I don`t even watch the highlights on telly. They are pish and I watch enough pish football with St.Mirren without inflicting another shower of diddies on myself :P

As I said before I represented my country at sport and was proud to do so. Its just the football team and the dunderheads that hang about with them that leave me cold.

As for Murray I think Codfish is probably half right. First and foremost he is out there doing it for Andy Murray. But he is also representing GBR as our number two tennis player(I think) and he is also proud to be Scottish. Its not that complex really is it?

As for the BBC I think they have been tremendously fair with the Scottish thing and its probably mainly because Murray himself wants to be seen as Scottish. They have been pretty respectful of that IMHO.

I have no time for the Scottish international side either. I cant remember the last time I watched them. I don`t even watch the highlights on telly. They are pish and I watch enough pish football with St.Mirren without inflicting another shower of diddies on myself :P

As I said before I represented my country at sport and was proud to do so. Its just the football team and the dunderheads that hang about with them that leave me cold.

As for Murray I think Codfish is probably half right. First and foremost he is out there doing it for Andy Murray. But he is also representing GBR as our number two tennis player(I think) and he is also proud to be Scottish. Its not that complex really is it?

As for the BBC I think they have been tremendously fair with the Scottish thing and its probably mainly because Murray himself wants to be seen as Scottish. They have been pretty respectful of that IMHO.

Agreed.

My reason for not supporting the national side is the same as yours! :ph34r:

Agreed.

My reason for not supporting the national side is the same as yours! :ph34r:

Well i am disappointed in you's maybe if they had the full backing of the nation they might get somewhere instead of seeing people not supporting them cos they're suposedly pish.

Well i am disappointed in you's maybe if they had the full backing of the nation they might get somewhere instead of seeing people not supporting them cos they're suposedly pish.

they are pretty much always well backed. They are still pish. :lol::lol:

Guest Twynholm

It is amazing how people can get wound up by an internet forum, come on get a life :lol:

Twynholm mate, you really are a complete fanny at times.

I know :)

I was really hoping you were smashed out of your head last night

To come out with that amount of drivel otherwise is very unfortunate. I feel sorry for you now and apologise for anything last night. It`s obvious you are a bit "special"

Refer to 1st post

Guest Twynholm

It is amazing how people can get wound up by an internet forum, come on get a life :lol:

Twynholm mate, you really are a complete fanny at times.

I know :)

I was really hoping you were smashed out of your head last night

To come out with that amount of drivel otherwise is very unfortunate. I feel sorry for you now and apologise for anything last night. It`s obvious you are a bit "special"

Refer to 1st post

The same people who are complaining about Murray being refered to as British are probably the same ones who moan when Henman is rerered to as English. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways.

Exactly - well put.

He qualified for Wimbledon because he put in the hard work, has the talent, and won enough matches and events in order for his world ranking to be sufficiently high enough for him to qualify for entry surely

I think the several hundreds of thousands of pounds the LTA has spent on his development at the Casal-Sanchez tennis centre might have helped him along the way a bit too :rolleyes:

That money is almost exclusively generated from Wimbledon. Note that this is LTA money and not SLTA money.

He also got a wild card last year to Queens and Wimbers when his world ranking was in the 300s.

Would he have qualified for these two tournaments otherwise? Very difficult, especially considering his physical state. They also helped fund his coaching with Mark Petchey.

He has achieved a lot on his own, but British tennis has helped him along the way greatly.