Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

After the first set he probably realised the amount of effort he would have to put into the match was probably not worth it, particularly when he'd probably rather finish second and play Federer. More chance of beating Federer, but also would be a much less physically tiring semi than the kind of match he'd have to play to beat Djokovic.

After the first set he probably realised the amount of effort he would have to put into the match was probably not worth it, particularly when he'd probably rather finish second and play Federer. More chance of beating Federer, but also would be a much less physically tiring semi than the kind of match he'd have to play to beat Djokovic.

I think that's spot on. He pretty much gave Nadal the early break in the second set. I think his back is troubling him, as his ball toss is pretty erratic for the past few weeks. A long hard season for him. Although the switching of surfaces has never been good for him.

Stan doesn't look that interested either.

Stan looked like he didn't want to be there, Ferrer double faulted on set point and then it all changed. Ferrer started to miss and Wawrinka just cranked up the pressure. Easy victory in the end.

Straight shoot out between Stan and Andy then. Is andys heart in it??

A win would guarantee him year end world number 2 I'm sure, which I think is important for him to get. Federer looks like he could win the tournament so he may need to beat Wawrinka to finish as number 2.

I'd predict he'll give 100% to beat Wawrinka, and then fall to a tame defeat by Federer in the semi.

The maximum Federer can get is 8765. Murray needs 100 points to finish #2.

Murray #2 scenarios:

Win Vs Wawrinka (200 points)

Federer loses a match. (He can't overtake Murray's 8670)

One Singles win, Team GB win Davis Cup (75 points and 75 bonus for winning 7 matches if GB win Davis Cup)

Two Singles wins (75+75, result of Davis Cup doesn't matter, but he would get 125 bonus for winning Davis Cup).

This crowd at the O2 is nearly 50/50 tonight, which is baffling. I can kind of understand Murray not having the whole support against a legend of the game like Roger Federer, but against a guy like Wawrinka it's a bit of a joke. Southern c***s.

I doubt Murray will give a shit. Without saying he's chucked it, he clearly hasn't tried at all.

If he did purposely not bother his arse that is really poor. It's the fifth biggest tournament of the year which he had a chance in.

Also puts at risk his no 2 seeding for Australia which could be a disaster.

Won't make that much difference really, whether he is 2 and Federer 3 or vice versa they will still be in the same half of the draw and in the opposite half from Djokovic. Would make a difference to his quarter final opponent but he would back himself against just about everyone outside the rest of the top 4 anyway.

Won't make that much difference really, whether he is 2 and Federer 3 or vice versa they will still be in the same half of the draw and in the opposite half from Djokovic. Would make a difference to his quarter final opponent but he would back himself against just about everyone outside the rest of the top 4 anyway.

Of course it makes a difference.

He would have a 50/50 chance of avoiding both until the final.

No he wouldn't, whatever way around he and Federer are at 2 & 3 they are seeded to play each other in the semi. Numbers 1 & 4 play the other semi.

Since when.. is Oz the only tournament that this happens? 1 does not always play 4..

I hadn`t realised that either but certainly checking back for the last 3 Australian Opens seed 1 and 4 have been in the top half of the draw with 2 and 3 in bottom half. Last time this wasn`t the case was 2010. Possible it`s by chance I suppose.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I doubt Murray will give a shit. Without saying he's chucked it, he clearly hasn't tried at all.

Pretty much I agree with this. I think the last two matches he tried to expend as little energy as possible. Against Nadal he didn't really try and the second set he appeared to chuck away before actually trying again.

I think he will be happy knowing that he is injury free and the #2 spot is still in his hands, even if Federer wins the title.

That isn't true. Seeds three and four get allocated in to different halves by luck of the draw. There is a 50/50 chance of drawing either.

If he did purposely not bother his arse that is really poor. It's the fifth biggest tournament of the year which he had a chance in.

I would say that this year he isn't bothered about the ATP Tour finals. He is more concerned about the Davis Cup. If he wins one match and GB lift the title hes' #2. If he wins both his matches he will be #2 even if GB don't win the trophy.