Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

That isn't true. Seeds three and four get allocated in to different halves by luck of the draw. There is a 50/50 chance of drawing either.

50/50 chance of 2 drawing 3 has happened 5 years in a row with seed 1 and seed 4 always in top half according to Wiki.

That`s not to say it`s not as you say though.

Edit to add you must be correct as the same split doesn`t occur in women`s draw over the same period. Must just be chance as you said. :thumsup2

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

50/50 chance of 2 drawing 3 has happened 5 years in a row with seed 1 and seed 4 always in top half according to Wiki.

That`s not to say it`s not as you say though.

Edit to add you must be correct as the same split doesn`t occur in women`s draw over the same period. Must just be chance as you said. :thumsup2

Yeah just a coincidence. All four slams are drawn using the same method. Although for Murray's draw he will be seeded to meet a former champion in either case.

My mistake, I'd assumed it was deliberate that 2 played 3 as it seemed to be happening every year! Hopefully he can still be second seed then, 2 singles wins next week are a must for Murray anyway just from the Davis Cup point of view, does his ranking no harm too.

Djokovic again beats Federer in a high profile final. That makes Djokovic's year the best on record since 1969 when Rod Laver completed his second calendar Grand Slam.

Andy Murray completes his best year consistency wise and takes the year end number two for the first time.

Apologies for the source, but John Lloyd once again proves how much of a twat he really is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-3328742/Andy-Murray-doesn-t-British-tennis-blasts-David-Lloyd.html

Except it's his brother (also a bit of a knob btw), who I think actually has a point here.

I'm a bit of a token tennis fan, but surprised Murray has finished the year as No.2. Has he won a number of smaller tournaments that have just gone under the radar for fair weather fans like me? Or does the Davis cup have a bearing on it?

He won four titles this year. 2 Masters (Madrid and Montreal) one 500 event (Queens) and one 250 (Hamburg). It's his consistency this year that made him finish above Federer. His consistency at the Masters level was 2 wins, 2 further finals, 3 semi finals and one exit before the QF (a withdrawal against Goffin). Federer had won one Masters and made two finals.

If he wins the Davis Cup and GB win the title he would have gathered 625 ranking points.

If he has any ambitions of being number one, he has to beat Djokovic, Federer and Nadal more often that he has this year. His consistency in seeing off people ranked lower than him has been superb though barring the Anderson match at the US Open.

Andy Murray 'Scottish when he loses' myth dismissed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-34909845

Found that article quite interesting. Surprised by it to be honest...

I wasn't surprised to see that at all. The BBC and British press generally call him British and Scottish in equal measures. After his Wimbledon triumph they called him the man from Dunblane quite often too.

The people I know that have said this, generally tend to be those that don't follow tennis at all. I have even seen people seething that he is not being called Scottish when he was winning olympic gold for Great Britain.

Supposedly the arena that they will play in at the weekend has a current temperature of about 3 degrees. They have all been practising on the clay and Andy Murray has said that it is going to plan. Think the score will be 3-1 for GB.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Andy Murray retire from Davis Cup if we were to win. The Olympics next season will see players earn no money and no ranking points. Coming in between the Canadian Masters and the Cincinatti Masters, we might see a host of top 50 players skip it.

A agree with Loki - I remember when he was in Wimbledon final 2013 there were some morons saying "Will he be a British hero or a Scottish failure" before hand which i found to be complete bollocks and said by people who only watch tennis when he gets to a slam final.

Think before his waterworks at Wimbledon 2012 he was still a favourite among most but the year he had afterwards made him a British treasure and most supporters in England love him for who he is and don't care which side of the border he is from.

No real surprise to see Kyle Edmund named as GB's second singles player. The ties will be as follows:

Goffin Vs Edmund

Bemelemans Vs Murray

Darcis/Coppejans Vs Murray/Murray

Goffin Vs Murray

Bemelemans Vs Edmund.

All ties are subject to change up until one hour before the match starts.

If Andy Murray wins his three ties, he will have had the second best year in Davis Cup history. Only John McEnroe can beat his 11 points. John McEnroe went perfect 8-0 and 4-0 in doubles in 1982 beating France, Sweden, Australia and India.

Similar to the semis in that I think Smith's approach is see how Edmund does on the Friday when it's a bit of a shot to nothing. If he freezes we've got a guy with decent Davis Cup experience and wins to step in. No surprise Inglot is the odd man out, but Smith clearly keen to cultivate a bit of the team atmosphere that other countries have done better than us to this point. The French had a ridiculous number of players past and present at the tie in London.