Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Capacity certainly would be an issue as it needs to be 12,000 seats for the final.

Although I don't see it being an issue anyway as any final will be away unless Croatia pull off two singles wins today and win their semi final.  We would be away to France and away to the USA.

Capacity certainly would be an issue as it needs to be 12,000 seats for the final.

Although I don't see it being an issue anyway as any final will be away unless Croatia pull off two singles wins today and win their semi final.  We would be away to France and away to the USA.

The Yanks must have thought they had it in the bag after winning the opening two singles, only for the Bryan brothers to suffer a shock defeat in the doubles. Isner leading Cilic in the first set at the moment.

Yeah Ward was 3-1 up in the final set but started erroring all the time to gift the match.

I am hoping Muller will win his first ATP title this evening.  Currently on serve against Dr Ivo

Andy Murray is playing Gael Monfils at the Hydro, and he also plays doubles with his brother Vs Gael and Tim Henman.  The roof is certainly not too low, it's fucking huge!

I was going to post the same, having been in the Emirates and the Hydro I find it hard to believe that the roof in the Hydro would be any lower.

Yep, the Hydro's roof is miles up, definitely nothing to stop tennis matches being played there.  Must've just been a scheduling clash.

Edmund was simply wonderful today, from the first game to the last.  He played liked a seasoned top 10-er IMO.  Great serving, consistent, deep cross court forehands to open up the court for a down-the-line winner.  And his chipped, deep returns had Lajovic in all sorts of bother all day.

No idea where I got that from then. Oops.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

No idea where I got that from then. Oops.

No the roof has to be a certain height for tennis, I think it is around 12m, so you've probably read it somewhere at some point.

I've been inside both the Hydro and the Emirates and I'd be amazed if the roof at the Hydro was lower down. If that reason given is correct then it must be something to do with the gantries as there's no chance that roof is less than 12m from the ground.

Murray, Edmund and Murray/Murray or Murray/Inglot in the doubles is a really strong team. As we saw last year, just Murray and Murray can pretty much win it alone! But throw in Edmund who will give most guys a game and you've got a really tough team to beat. Dan Evans is reasonable back-up too and could have beaten either of the Serbs this week. James Ward looks utterly terrible at the moment, he's done well to have any sort of career at that level, but I'd be surprised to see him back in the Davis Cup team.

Wow! Well done Croatia. The Bryan brothers shock defeat had a huge impact then eh. So France or Croatia in the final if the Argies can be taken care of. As much as I would love the semi to be played in Glasgow I really can't see it happening. 3 English venues will be considered first and I'm sure I heard sue barker mention Wimbledon as a likely candidate as the weather should still be decent mid September. If not then Queens or the O2 will be utilised. Pity really as both Murrays would enjoy being at home for the match. But I'm sure no matter the venue the opportunity is there for big crowds and good tennis.
Jamie ward will surely be the sacrifice as Kyle Edmund can't be left out after 2 straight set wins. Keeping the doubles pairing the same would make sense too to ensure Andy is fresh for his second rubber which would hopefully finish the tie before a 5th match.
Totally agree with the John Lloyd comment above [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23], timing is everything

I'm no massive tennis fan (I stick to watching the slams and Davis Cup) but the Bryan Brothers seem to have gone from dominating everything to going downhill a fair bit lately? Is that a fair assessment?

They're still second in the doubles race to the Tour Finals but age has definitely caught up with them. Late 30s whilst still not over the hill especially given Paes is still going relatively strong into his 40s is hardly spring chicken territory. The number 1 pair are both extremely competent singles players playing in the highest tear competitions. Down but not quite out yet would be my assessment.

I would say that article is wrong as the Hydro is pretty high, certainly higher than the Emirates arena.  It is a BBC article after all.

I would have thought that the semi final will be played on indoor hard.  The change of surface from hard to grass to hard at that time of year might see Murray skip it if he makes the final of the US Open.

By what Delgado said yesterday on the BBC it seems Murray is going to skip the Toronto Masters to concentrate on the Olympics.

James Ward has always been terrible in the grand scheme of things.  Evans is far better than him but has a stinking attitude.  Then Edmund at the moment is probably a level above Evans.

James Ward isn't very good but he's committed and can always pull something out of the bag occasionally. Dan Evans plays tonight in Washington so he can't have been that injured since he's been training there the last week.