Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Odd match. Murray shot himself in the foot early in the second set when he didn't challenge a line call - ball was out and he could/would have had three break points. Instead Djoko held and went on to break Murray shortly after. That was the turning point.

That said, Murray fought back from an extremely ropey early part of the third and could have set himself up with a couple of match points when he got to 5-4.

Carbon copy of the Shanghai final for me. Even when Murray won the first set, you could see Djokovic starting to get his timing right and starting to force the error. Petchey made a good point in that when you're in a baseline rally with Djokovic, you need to win the point theoretically 2 or 3 times to win the rally, due to his defending, consistency and flexibility. Against Nadal or Federer, they take bigger risks and hit more errors.

Are the BBC showing the Murray Federer match tonight or do they continue only show the afternoon game? If not a stream it will be.

Is the final on in the afternoon tomorrow or the evening?

Edited to add: The final is in the evening. Awesome.

Edited by Loki

Are the BBC showing the Murray Federer match tonight or do they continue only show the afternoon game? If not a stream it will be.

Is the final on in the afternoon tomorrow or the evening?

Edited to add: The final is in the evening. Awesome.

Loki....I concur with the bulk of your thread...you would have thought maybe the beeb (in light of whats happened) ..they would give us Andy....nah....all stitched up wae Sky

To be fair to Sky I think the BBC have been very lucky with the deal. They got all the decent matches in the afternoon, and even left Sky with a dead rubber to show last night. I don't even think the final is on Sky, it will be shown on BBC3 tomorrow night.

To be fair to Sky I think the BBC have been very lucky with the deal. They got all the decent matches in the afternoon, and even left Sky with a dead rubber to show last night. I don't even think the final is on Sky, it will be shown on BBC3 tomorrow night.

Final is on Sky as well - they've shown every game, even those that have been on the BBC as well.

Federer was great last night... still the best player in the world indoor.

Joy to watch at times in that second set. Murray served poorly I thought - looked a bit slow too. Long season catching up with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading some of the comments on the BBC Tennis page following Andy's US Open win. You do get some absolute raspers. One post said that to be a true GS champion, he has to beat 2 or the top 3 on the way, or all 3. Which, given the rankings, is impossible, unless one of them slips below 4 in the world.

Also, Andy demolished a guy in the Semis, who demolished the GOAT, and one of the top 3, in the Quarters. Great logic from this fucking moron.

It would be like saying he didn't deserve to be in the Wimbledon final because he was in Nadal's half of the draw and didn't actually play him.

• 3 weeks later...

So Andy Murray's season starts with a defeat to Tipsarevic in an exhibition tournament. I seen the usual people on twitter saying he is a shitebag again. I imagine the same people creamed themselves when he beat Nadal and Federer in 24 hours to win it three years ago. Nobody remembers that, as it is an exhibition tournament.

Supposedly only lost four points on his serve in the first set! That is an incredible stat since he lost the set 6-3. Anyway next tournament is the Brisbane International tournament where he will be top seed. Then it is the Australian Open. Looking forward to this Grand Slam, it is my favourite of all the slams.

Murray was quoted as saying he only started hitting balls again last week so he's bound to be a tad rusty. It's more or less a nap that he's going to win Brisbane again next week.