Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Lloyd and Castle trying to out do each other in who can talk the most out of touch sh*te. I think Castle just wins it with his "take the trophy round each tennis club in Britain over the next 365 days".

Castle is a complete and utter wankstain who is desperate for Murray to fail because he was shite. Should have Becker or Mac commentating not that p***k.

How Britain won the Davis Cup
First round - Beat United States 3-2 at home (indoors)
Quarter-finals - Beat France 3-1 at home (grass)
Semi-finals - Beat Australia 3-2 at home (indoors)
Final - Beat Belgium 3-1 away from home (clay)

I`d forgotten just how much of an epic Ward`s win over Isner was.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/31774696

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Remarkable achievement. There are not many UK teams - whether individual home nations or Team GB - which have become world champions in the team sports.

Incidentally, back in 2010 we were in a relegation playoff to drop into the bottom tier. Has there ever been a more meteoric rise ending as champions?

Heard Leon Smith on 5live's preview show during the week, comes across as a very shrewd man. He's the first to admit that he can't tell the players anything from his own experience as a player as he never played at the level of any of the players on the team. Instead it's all down to preparation and analysis of the opposition and just trying to keep the players focused on their game plan.

Surely Murray must be a shoe in for SPOTY? And the team for the team trophy?

Murray now won US Open, Wimbledon, Olympic Gold, Davis Cup. Only things he's not won are the Aussie Open where he's been finalist numerous times, and the French Open where he's not exactly done badly either. Impressive on it's own, but when you consider the baggage and pressure that he's had to deal with coming from a country with no other tennis players, but huge expectation, it's incredible.

Lewis Hamilton will be his rival for SPotY but Murray will surely succeed.

I hope Ward isn't forgotten in what will (quite naturally) be the focus on Andy Murray and the Murray brothers. If it wasn't for Ward we'd have been in a relegation playoff to stay in the World Group, nevermind going on a run through the remaining KO stages culminating in the Final. Key win.

Lewis Hamilton will be his rival for SPotY but Murray will surely succeed.

I hope Ward isn't forgotten in what will (quite naturally) be the focus on Andy Murray and the Murray brothers. If it wasn't for Ward we'd have been in a relegation playoff to stay in the World Group, nevermind going on a run through the remaining KO stages culminating in the Final. Key win.

Yep, other guys like Colin Fleming, Johhny Marray and Ross Hutchins also deserve a mention, all played their part over the years as they made their way up the tables.

I'd have thought it'd have to be ennis or farah, but Murray's Davis cup performance has to put him in with a shout. What a guy.

Not so sure, an athletics world championship doesn't draw the same level of interest as an Olympics, especially a home one. Thing that will count against Murray, and probably Hamilton too, is they both won it recently.

Driving round in circles isn't a sport, certainly not any more. Didn't the egotistical tosser win it last year anyway?

Because this was for Team GB, Andy should win however I wouldn't be surprised if they make it a special joint award to the whole Davis Cup team.

Not so sure, an athletics world championship doesn't draw the same level of interest as an Olympics, especially a home one. Thing that will count against Murray, and probably Hamilton too, is they both won it recently.

That's true, I think ennis does probably deserve it, coming back and winning the world championship the way she did was incredible. Farah's consistency has been scary and Murray almost single handedly won a team tournament. Has to be between these 3 for me.

Hamilton effectively won a 2 horse race, doesn't deserve it imo. Fury beat wlad, an impressive achievement, but it was a dull fight and won't have captured the public's imagination.