Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Great effort to win....isn't team gb tho....its gb & ni....always grates that the team gb tag is used as if some bits of the UK don't really count...its a very little englander term to use when inclusivity should be the order of the days....rugby boys manage to remember it's gb & irish lions....pedantry over its been amazing 3 years for Murray especially given the guys hes up against....

I hope Ward isn't forgotten in what will (quite naturally) be the focus on Andy Murray and the Murray brothers. If it wasn't for Ward we'd have been in a relegation playoff to stay in the World Group, nevermind going on a run through the remaining KO stages culminating in the Final. Key win.

That's not strictly true - it wasn't a do-or-die match. If it had been 1-1 in the match then Andy may have partnered Jamie in the doubles as he did in each of the other matches, and GB may have won the doubles rather than losing with Murray/Inglot.

Great effort to win....isn't team gb tho....its gb & ni....always grates that the team gb tag is used as if some bits of the UK don't really count...its a very little englander term to use when inclusivity should be the order of the days....rugby boys manage to remember it's gb & irish lions....pedantry over its been amazing 3 years for Murray especially given the guys hes up against....

It is Team GB in this case. There is an all-Ireland team in Davis Cup tennis, so any Northern Irish players would play for them.

Edited by craigkillie

Given Andy has won SPOTY before, it would be nice if Jamie was nominated instead. The best player Andy has beaten in the Davis cup this year is Gilles Simon, good,but hardly the next Bjorn Borg. The doubles have been the most important aspect IMO. I don't think Andy or Jamie will win anyway, personally think it's between Ennis and fury, probably Ennis.

Edited by sparky88

It is Team GB in this case. There is an all-Ireland team in Davis Cup tennis, so any Northern Irish players would play for them.

Whilst it is team GB, any Northern Irish player can choose to play for either.

Struggle with the Ennis Hill hype. All other walks of life we are told, quite rightly, women are equally capable, don't discriminate, it's inconsequential that they may take time out to have babies, doesn't affect their ability to do jobs.
All fair, happy with that.
But now it suits the BBC story we get what a remarkable achievement just 13 months after having a baby.
Did she get a personal best in any event...No
Did she perform to her previous level....No 286pts down.
Would she have won if favourite Johnson-Thompson hadn't royally cocked up her long jump with 3 no jumps recording no score?
If she hadn't would Johnson Thompson been sitting favourite for SPOTY ...I suspect not.

Bahh :angry:

That's true, I think ennis does probably deserve it, coming back and winning the world championship the way she did was incredible. Farah's consistency has been scary and Murray almost single handedly won a team tournament. Has to be between these 3 for me.

Hamilton effectively won a 2 horse race, doesn't deserve it imo. Fury beat wlad, an impressive achievement, but it was a dull fight and won't have captured the public's imagination.

He also acted like a complete knob by refusing to put a tie on to go to the Royal Box at Wimbledon.

Can't see Fury or Ennis winning. I think it will be Murray. The timing if nothing else swings it as his achievement is freshest in the memory but I thin kit's the greatest anyway.

SPOTY team award will go to the Davis cup team and rightly so. To give the individual award to Andy on the back of a Davis Cup win would be a bit dismissive of the other team members for me. It was won as a team and the entire team should be recognised and rewarded for their joint efforts.

Tyson Fury went to one of the most dominant heavyweights ever backyard and completely controlled the fight taking home 3 of the 4 belts available (and the ring/lineal championship). If that was AJ or Haye they'd be stick ons

He avoided being hit by an over the hill 40 yr old who was fortunate to hold belts over weakest decade in history of the weight division....Klitschko one of most dominant hw ever is a triumph of stats over context ffs.....