Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

What a final point.

How has Murray become such a good clay court player over the past year? I thought he looked done just a couple of months back.  :lol:

It would be sensational if he slithered in and won Roland Garros.

What a final point.

How has Murray become such a good clay court player over the past year? I thought he looked done just a couple of months back. :lol:

And then Oz next year to complete the cgs before novak :D

This is from memory but am I right in saying no player has ever won all Masters events available at the time they played?  Think Agassi and Djokovic are the closest to completing the set.

Djokovic just needs Cinci. Federer needs Monte Carlo and Rome. Nadal needs Miami and Paris.  Agassi never won Monte Carlo, Hamburg and Shanghai (although Shanghai he never competed in as it's recent).  Murray now needs Indian Wells and Monte Carlo.

What a final point.

How has Murray become such a good clay court player over the past year? I thought he looked done just a couple of months back.  :lol:

It was also his best surface in the season after his back surgery.  I would have thought that the surgery has more to do with it more than anything.

Murray was completely in control of that match today.  He looks superb on clay, and his serve is just getting better.  He's hitting lines with his first serve, and the general more pace on the second serve gets him some cheap points even against Djokovic.  A SF, Final and Win in the three Masters completes his greatest clay season.  With Federer now 1500 points behind him, he might even be second seed for Wimbledon.

Tremendous from Murray and a great championship point to finish it off with.

This is an entirely hypothetical point so don't lash in thinking I'm accusing Murray of anything. But with Djokovic having plenty of duping accusations against him on this forum has Murray ever had any of the suspicion on his career? I know the marked and rapid improvement in Nole a few years ago raised a few eyebrows with his new diet but in that time Murray has been his close second.

Do you think Murray is clean too? He seems to have that same superhuman speed and endurance. It is that just the standard for elite level men's tennis now?

Edited by GiGi

This is an entirely hypothetical point so don't lash in thinking I'm accusing Murray of anything. But with Djokovic having plenty of duping accusations against him on this forum has Murray ever had any of the suspicion on his career? I know the marked and rapid improvement in Nole a few years ago raised a few eyebrows with his new diet but in that time Murray has been his close second.

Do you think Murray is clean too? He seems to have that same superhuman speed and endurance. It is that just the standard for elite level men's tennis now?

Considering he is very outspoken on doping, and persistent calls for more funding for doping and more tests both in competition and out of competition, I would think he was the most likely to be clean.  Nadal and Djokovic often outlast him in these types of matches.  Murray is visibly knackered more often that the other two.

Murray has never had the rapid improvement that Djokovic had though. If you take out the year after his back surgery, Murray's career has been about a steady progression. His Wimbledon record up until he won it is a prime example, gradually getting a bit better every year until he won it. Djokovic and Nadal have had far more up and downs. Djokovic won an early Slam, then fell away a bit with his physical condition being questioned, and since then after his 'change of diet' has been on a different level. Nadal has had numerous peaks and troughs in his career, often put down to ambiguous injuries, has missed weeks/months at a time and then comes back and wins events.

I think it's important to not just assume that because Murray is Scottish/British he wouldn't be doping - which I think there is a tendency to do across all sports - but if I had to bet on one of the top guys being dopers it certainly wouldn't be Murray.

Considering he is very outspoken on doping, and persistent calls for more funding for doping and more tests both in competition and out of competition, I would think he was the most likely to be clean. Nadal and Djokovic often outlast him in these types of matches. Murray is visibly knackered more often that the other two.

Have no reason to think Murray is on drugs but being outspoken means nothing. Always think a lot of people say the opposite of what they are doing for cover. Kind of like the politicians that are in the closet and very anti gay rights.

Have no reason to think Murray is on drugs but being outspoken means nothing. Always think a lot of people say the opposite of what they are doing for cover. Kind of like the politicians that are in the closet and very anti gay rights.

Christ you`ll be telling us next that Donald Trump  is smuggling Muslims and Mexicans into USA.

Considering he is very outspoken on doping, and persistent calls for more funding for doping and more tests both in competition and out of competition, I would think he was the most likely to be clean. Nadal and Djokovic often outlast him in these types of matches. Murray is visibly knackered more often that the other two.

Lance, Armstrong was pretty adamant about being clean too. I don't tend to trust any top athletes, but Murray does come across pretty straight laced. I'd guess that doping is the norm and there's very few who don't do anything. I'd be surprised if Murray was 100% clean.

If there was a PED scandal in the ATP (which there won't be), Nadal and Djokovic would be right at the top of any list of cheats.

Pretty sure that Murray and Federer are both totally straight.