Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

5 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

Got a ticket to the final on Sunday. Will be the first live tennis match I've ever seen so looking forward to it. Would be great to see Murray but I'll try not to be too disheartened if it's Thiem v Cilic.

I'd say if you've never seen it before you'll still be amazed by the level of guys like Thiem and Cilic.

Stan the man flattering to deceive again I see.  Weird how he can have a wonder 2 weeks once a year and win a GS but seems to fumble along through out the rest of the reason, never even close to doing anything else of note.

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Stan the man flattering to deceive again I see.  Weird how he can have a wonder 2 weeks once a year and win a GS but seems to fumble along through out the rest of the reason, never even close to doing anything else of note.

Personally I think he's only interested in doing what's required to stay up near the top of the rankings and not much else, sad because i think he'd make tennis even more competitive at the top if he could be arsed.

Some of his less published stats are comparable with the nobodies at the bottom end of the top 100.

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Personally I think he's only interested in doing what's required to stay up near the top of the rankings and not much else, sad because i think he'd make tennis even more competitive at the top if he could be arsed.

Some of his less published stats are comparable with the nobodies at the bottom end of the top 100.

I don't think he's not arsed as such, he's clearly got his head screwed on and on his day he can absolutely leather every other player on the planet, but he just seems to have matches where he doesn't make any shots and ends up going out really early in tournaments.  The consistency just isn't there and at 31, I doubt it ever will be now.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I don't think he's not arsed as such, he's clearly got his head screwed on and on his day he can absolutely leather every other player on the planet, but he just seems to have matches where he doesn't make any shots and ends up going out really early in tournaments.  The consistency just isn't there and at 31, I doubt it ever will be now.

That's more prevalent in lesser tournaments though, some of the obscure stats are quite revealing on his mentality while on most of the main stats he's consistently just below Murray with a gap to Novak, Federer and Rafa over their careers.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Agreed. I'm sure any player in the world would take 3 majors and a shite tour record ahead of dozens of tour wins and a shite major record though. 

On the other hand. it's a bit of a false marker to have Stan up there with Murray in terms of majors and in the same era, the history books will have them on a par at that level at least despite Murray having been consistently far superior throughout his career.

21 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. I'm sure any player in the world would take 3 majors and a shite tour record ahead of dozens of tour wins and a shite major record though. 

On the other hand. it's a bit of a false marker to have Stan up there with Murray in terms of majors and in the same era, the history books will have them on a par at that level at least despite Murray having been consistently far superior throughout his career.

Yep, that's what kind of pisses me off with Wawrinka, he's no where near Murray in terms of accolades and career highlights, but the highest one, the old GS total, has them equal.  

I said earlier in the thread, the Swiss is a bit of an anomaly, a perfect GS final record with 3-0 and 3 times as many slams as Masters titles.  That's unheard of in tennis.

25 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Murray will surely finish his career with more slams than him.

You'd both imagine so and hope so but there seems to be something about Wawrinka when he gets to a slam final.  He's able to red line for nearly the whole match and come away with the trophy.

He was also helped in his AO win when Nadal was visibly injured of course.

I like Stan.  When he is zoned in he is very difficult to beat.  The match between Murray and himself was excellent at the French Open.  But he enjoys his life outside tennis more than anyone else at the top of the game.  Wawrinka himself has said that Murray is beyond his greatness no matter how many Slams he ends up with.

I used to think it was a disgrace that they were tied on slams, but I really like Stan now.