Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I like Stan.  When he is zoned in he is very difficult to beat.  The match between Murray and himself was excellent at the French Open.  But he enjoys his life outside tennis more than anyone else at the top of the game.  Wawrinka himself has said that Murray is beyond his greatness no matter how many Slams he ends up with.

I used to think it was a disgrace that they were tied on slams, but I really like Stan now.

Though of course, if the situation was reversed, we'd probably be saying Andy Murray was #sumboi for not giving a shit and still being tied on slams with Wawrinka who works his socks off...

Murray certainly the best player, but he needs to ensure this by finishing ahead of slams or the history books will judge them as being as good as one another!

4 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Though of course, if the situation was reversed, we'd probably be saying Andy Murray was #sumboi for not giving a shit and still being tied on slams with Wawrinka who works his socks off...

Murray certainly the best player, but he needs to ensure this by finishing ahead of slams or the history books will judge them as being as good as one another!

Nah not for me, Murray is miles ahead in every other accolade department. 

What a win. Longest match since the tournament moved to the O2 apparently.

Nishikori fighting back to 4-5 from 1-5 only for Murray to serve it out to love. Brutal. :lol:

Edited by Elixir

Yep, Stan red-lining it in 3 GS finals doesn't change the fact that Andy Murray is a far superior tennis player, and his stats and wins prove this.

Yup.
Stans only won 1 masters!!
Murray 12 I think

Also Murray been in about 9 grand slam finals.. Stan 3
Mighty be slightly off with murrays stats but you get the point
And he's number fukin 1! Stan no chance of that

Hopefully Murray Wawrinka is the evening match on Friday.  Missed today's match because of work.  Will catch the highlights on the BBC website.

Nobody in tennis thinks Wawrinka has had a greater career.  It's only the people that maybe watch Wimbledon two weeks a year that will even think that the careers are comparable.  Murray has won 14 Masters from 21 finals and 3 Slams from 11 finals.  Murray will always be remembered as part of the big four which is more fitting than anything Stan can do now.

But I like Stan.  He seems a genuine guy, if Murray can't win a Slam I want Stan to.

I think if Cilic wins tonight, Murray is assured to win the group.  As both Cilic and Nishikori can't both get to two wins, and if they do they both lost to Murray so they would finish below him on H2H.

Edited by Loki
To avoid double post

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Cilic out and with a Davis Cup to look forward to he'll lose to Nishikori pretty comfortably I'd imagine, which I think means if Murray wins 1 set he qualifies, if he loses to Wawrinka in straight sets he is out.

Wawrinka would be 4-3 in sets and Murray would be 5-3 so assume you're right unless it comes down to head to head, in which case it would get very messy! 

4 minutes ago, gmca said:

Wawrinka would be 4-3 in sets and Murray would be 5-3 so assume you're right unless it comes down to head to head, in which case it would get very messy! 

Head to head can only be used if there are just 2 players on same number of wins. Nishikori and Wawrinka wins mean there are 3 players on 2 wins.

Never been a fan of the group format, could easily have Murray going out and Nishikori going through on the same points, even though Murray beat Nishikori, doesn't seen right to me.

Not sure what the alternative is mind.

Will be immaterial as Murray will beat him IMO.

Cilic has won three of his last five meetings with Nishikori, including the US Open, Wimbledon this year (where he retired, granted) and Basel a few weeks back.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

so if Murray wins a set v Stan he`s through??

YES, I for one am glad Murray isn't through after 2 games, there are 200 points at stake and every little bit of motivation is a bonus.