Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Isn't £10 million quite a lot for Amazon to pay when it doesn't include the slams? How many people are going to pay for Amazon on the back of it? I have it already for the free delivery and have watched a few shows on their system like the Man in the High Castle so I'll probably watch but will it entice many yo sign up?

It's cheaper than tennis t.v. so i could be tempted to get it plus you get all the other programmes. This must be the start of Amazon buying up other sports contracts on their mission to take over the world.

Disappointing it doesn't have the slams though. That would be like having the WWE network and it not showing Wrestlemania? Suppose 2 of the 4 are on freeview.

I see your point, but the slams are administered by the ITF and the rest of the tour by the ATP.

ITF have exclusive rights with Eurosport, and they subcontract it out. ATP signed with Amazon.

I have Amazon prime, so I'll certainly keep it on for the tennis. If I didn't have it I would definitely get it for the tennis. The only bad thing is it would put an end to my in play betting as online streams have a huge time delay.

2 hours ago, ftk said:

It's cheaper than tennis t.v. so i could be tempted to get it plus you get all the other programmes. This must be the start of Amazon buying up other sports contracts on their mission to take over the world.

Exactly. They can play about with it and get a feel for how to do it right before coming in big for Football, NBA or NFL which are the real money spinners.

I'll definitely watch a lot more tennis now than I did before.

Exactly. They can play about with it and get a feel for how to do it right before coming in big for Football, NBA or NFL which are the real money spinners.
I'll definitely watch a lot more tennis now than I did before.

I'm sure I read somewhere they have some of the NFL tv contracts in America. Look how quickly BT broke into the UK market. With Amazon's spending power they can easily outbid Sky or BT for any future sporting contracts if they wanted.

Stan struggling to be be fit for New York.

Murray really is an unlucky laddy. Could yet miss out himself when Djokovic is goosed and potentially Wawrinka as well.

Surely Federer will do it again if Murray and Stan aren't fully fit or don't even compete. Yet to be convinced by Nadal outside of the clay season this year.

It's a clever move skipping Montreal as he's defending no points.  As Elixir said a semi final spot for Nadal and he would be number one again.

Wawrinka out for the rest of the season as he's going to undergo knee surgery.

May just be perception, but it seems like in the last couple of years that players are really struggling with 'wear and tear' injuries. Federer missing the second half of last season, Nadal regularly missed chunks of seasons in the past, now Djokovic and Wawrinka out for the rest of the season, Murray possibly too. Cilic not being fit for the Wimbledon final, numerous first round withdrawals at Wimbledon too. Numerous other examples lower down the rankings in recent years too.

Partly explained by the average age of the top players being higher than ever, their bodies eventually just aren't going to be able to cope.

With the increased physicality of the game I think scheduling is going to be more important than ever for the top players. Makes the decision to keep Davis Cup best of 5 set matches even more stupid, it's going to become a second rate competition with very few of the top players bothering to play.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

The longer matches have to take their toll somewhere, and a lot of that is down to the difference in the way the game is played. Just to take Wimbledon as an example, 5 setters 20 years ago would only last 2 1/2 - 3 hours due to the serve/volley style played then, but plenty of matches now go 4 hours plus.

Fair comment about the Davis Cup, can see Andy body swerving it next year.

On 8/1/2017 at 22:26, ftk said:

Sky Sports have lost the rights to the Atp tennis tournaments including the end of season finals at the 02. They will now be shown on Amazon Prime from next year. How many different sports packages do tv companies think people can afford to subscribe too? No wonder so many people use kodi.

That'll be why in all the Sky Sports channels 'Super fucking dooper summer of all the fucking sports under the sun this summer and August on Sky Sports this summer' adverts there's no mention of tennis. No point advertising something they only have until November this year.

That'll be why in all the Sky Sports channels 'Super fucking dooper summer of all the fucking sports under the sun this summer and August on Sky Sports this summer' adverts there's no mention of tennis. No point advertising something they only have until November this year.

Sky sports has gone to shit. They're all over the shop.

Has there been a change in ownership or chief exec or something in the last year or two?

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has there been a change in ownership or chief exec or something in the last year or two?

f**k knows.  All I know is they're losing stuff hand over fist to other broadcasters, and they charge you more for the privilege every year.

59 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

They've probably worked out that tennis isn't a deal breaker when people are deciding to subscribe to Sky sports. Priority seems to be given to the EPL and sports that used to be on terrestrial until very recently, like f1, most golf and cricket (going back a bit further) . They are about to lose a fair chunk of their football league games as well.

They've probably worked out that tennis isn't a deal breaker when people are deciding to subscribe to Sky sports. Priority seems to be given to the EPL and sports that used to be on terrestrial until very recently, like f1, most golf and cricket (going back a bit further) . They are about to lose a fair chunk of their football league games as well.

Sky are maybe taking a calculated guess that tennis will go into decline now Murray/fed/djok and Nadal are probably all past their prime. They will argue not many up and coming exciting players look like taking their place. Sky are a business and they probably get their best viewing figures for football, golf, f1 and cricket ([emoji17]). The epl deal has crippled them though and tennis is one of the casualties.