Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I honestly don’t think he was that bad at all. In the first set his serve was the killer. It was awful. Apart from that I thought he looked by far the better player in long rallies. The game that won the match was the 1st of the 3rd set which gave Poullie a huge mental advantage and from there onwards he played very well on serve to close it out.

I’d say that if Murray had drawn a jobber in round 1 and won he’d have beaten Poullie in the next round but ultimately rust cost him.

Interested that his 2 warm up events to the US Open have been on fast hard courts, I’d have though he’d have been better playing Toronto last week instead where conditions are way more similar to the US Open.

When recovering from his back surgery, he protected the area by not playing full power for long enough. It took him a long time to get over that.

His serve is really bad at the moment and that is giving players easy breaks.

I’d expect him to be back to a good level by the new season. The rest of the season is about getting back to a bit of form. Hopefully enter a 250 and win.

You could see yesterday that his game was way off its normal level - he left so many balls short that Pouille was having all day to put wherever he wanted. Didn't look to be any injury niggles or fitness issues, which is promising.

Would agree that playing (and hopefully winning) a 250 would be a decent place to eliminate some of the rust. Hopefully get through a few rounds at the USO as well to get back into the swing of 5-set matches.

Edited by Nightmare

So the plan to ruin the Davis Cup has been unveiled and approved - in association with cash from Gerard Pique's investment trust.

There will now be 24 teams contesting a playoff in February with the 12 winners progressing to 1 week 'Finals Tournament' next November, alongside this season's 4 Semi-Finalists. Presumably the idea was then 4 groups of 4 > QFs > SFs > Final but a pair of "wildcards" will be permitted making 18... there will be 6 groups of 3, with the 6 winners plus 2 best runners-up progressing to QFs > SFs > Final. There will be a full tie each day, with every tie reduced from 5 matches to 3 matches (2 singles/1 doubles), and every match reduced from 5 sets to 3.

Most major nations voted against the plan e.g. Britain, USA, France, Germany, Australia.

EDIT: Meanwhile the ATP is restarting the defunct 'World Team Cup' as a rival beginning in January 2020 and incorporating the Hopman Cup mixed tournament. It will apparently see 24 teams of 5 players (men & women), in a format lasting 1.5 weeks, scheduled (as the Hopman Cup is now) between New Year and the Australian Open.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My instinct is he won`t though I haven`t seen anything to suggest that, I just can`t see him risking 5 setters given how little he has played.

He woud be better playing 3 setters and get himself ready for Australia.  Nothing to be gained long term by playing US.

Oh and don't even think about Davis Cup.

I think he'll give it a go, just to get a feel for it. Saying that on the basis that he'd take the rest of this year off after the open, and that he could pull out during or after a match if he felt he was pushing his body too much.

All of which would be very unlike the Murray we know, but I think the gains from potentially lasting say 2 or 3 five setters and the knowledge that would give him about where his body's at might be appealing.

Although he may pull out, he will have a look at the draw first which is tonight. If it looks like he can get through a couple of rounds he will surely play.

He has a 50% chance of playing a seed in the first round, and will definitely be scheduled to face a seed in R2 if he avoids one in R1

Although he may pull out, he will have a look at the draw first which is tonight. If it looks like he can get through a couple of rounds he will surely play.

He has a 50% chance of playing a seed in the first round, and will definitely be scheduled to face a seed in R2 if he avoids one in R1
Agree with what you say but not sure that's right. Just get on with it, give it your best and see what happens. Longer this goes on it will continue to hit his phycology

Yeah that could've been a lot worse.  I guess 2 PRs playing each other in the first round is pretty rare?  Should beat Duckworth then it's anyone's guess against the Spaniards.  I think JMDP will fire through him if he gets to R3 unfortunately.

Yeah that could've been a lot worse.  I guess 2 PRs playing each other in the first round is pretty rare?  Should beat Duckworth then it's anyone's guess against the Spaniards.  I think JMDP will fire through him if he gets to R3 unfortunately.
Based on what we have seen so far then he isn't generating enough power to trouble Delpo unfortunately.