Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Andy Murray to open his double Olympic defence against Felix Auger-Aliassime.   Possible Carrena Busta in the last 16, Medvedev in the QF.  Tsitsipas in the SF and the man chasing the Golden Slam in the final.

Has to really play well in his first match, and if he does he’d have a good chance of making the quarter finals.  Best of three sets with a day off in between, it might just be a format that works for Murray currently.

29 minutes ago, Loki said:

Andy Murray to open his double Olympic defence against Felix Auger-Aliassime.   Possible Carrena Busta in the last 16, Medvedev in the QF.  Tsitsipas in the SF and the man chasing the Golden Slam in the final.

Has to really play well in his first match, and if he does he’d have a good chance of making the quarter finals.  Best of three sets with a day off in between, it might just be a format that works for Murray currently.

Tough draw in the doubles too where Murray and Salisbury play 2nd seeds Mahut and Herbert. Although decent chance to make the SF if they could get through that. 

Andy and Joe Salisbury's doubles match is 2nd match on court 5 tomorrow. Jamie and Neal Skupski are 3rd on court 11. Heather Watson also in action and is first up on the opening day.

Play starts at 11am in Tokyo (3am UK time) and looks like the tennis will be on Eurosport 3 (983 on Sky). No idea what courts that will actually cover though.

10 hours ago, GaryMc93 said:

Andy and Joe Salisbury's doubles match is 2nd match on court 5 tomorrow. Jamie and Neal Skupski are 3rd on court 11. Heather Watson also in action and is first up on the opening day.

Play starts at 11am in Tokyo (3am UK time) and looks like the tennis will be on Eurosport 3 (983 on Sky). No idea what courts that will actually cover though.

Can't find this match live. I've only got Eurosport 1 and 2, and the website is no help. You'd have thought it might be on the BBC somewhere.

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Can't find this match live. I've only got Eurosport 1 and 2, and the website is no help. You'd have thought it might be on the BBC somewhere.

Face German pair Krawietz and Puetz in R2.

Yeah even the channel I mentioned only appears to show centre court. Finally activated my free 12 months of Discovery+ through Sky so managed to get it on there.

Yeah supposedly the BBC can only show a certain amount of sport simultaneously, so haven’t shown tennis yet.  I bought a month of Discovery Plus just for the tennis.  Woke up nice and early for the Murray match.  He’s withdrawn.

A quad strain and has been told he can’t play both singles and doubles, so he withdrew from the singles as the doubles gives him the best opportunity of getting a medal. 

I wonder if a good run in the doubles might hasten his move to that format. He can't have enjoyed being spanked by young, in-form players that he would previously have beaten 19 times out of 20 and he knows all about Bob Bryan. He's extremely unlikely to compete for major singles titles again, but he could win doubles slams.

I've jinxed him now, haven't I.

I don't know if this helps anyone who hasn't paid for discovery plus but if you've got eurosport as part of sky package, pretty sure it's part of signature package and not sports, then the other eurosport, channels are 983-989, the Tsitsipas match was on there earlier. 

I wonder if a good run in the doubles might hasten his move to that format. He can't have enjoyed being spanked by young, in-form players that he would previously have beaten 19 times out of 20 and he knows all about Bob Bryan. He's extremely unlikely to compete for major singles titles again, but he could win doubles slams.
I've jinxed him now, haven't I.
This seems a great shout.

Keeps him playing, keeps his profile high (he'd be a big draw in all the slams), and hopefully collects some more silverware.

He'll need it if he wants to challenge Jim Clarke as scotland's greatest sportsman...

Murray/Salisbury into the quarter finals after another straight sets victory. One more victory and they’ll be in the medals reckoning.

Liam Broady currently one set all against the Wimbledon semi finalist.  

Thsts all the British hopes left after both Djokovic and Barty elected to play mixed doubles.  Meaning Watson/Salisbury are left as alternates. Need two teams to withdraw for them to take a place.

Murray/Salisbury out in the QF to Cilic and Dodig. Were a set and a break up aswell.
Djokovic motoring through in the singles as expected, he has a tough draw in the quarters against local hero Nishokori though.

On 28/07/2021 at 16:09, Lex said:

Murray/Salisbury out in the QF to Cilic and Dodig. Were a set and a break up aswell.
Djokovic motoring through in the singles as expected, he has a tough draw in the quarters against local hero Nishokori though.

Nishikori won 2 more games than I would have.

From 4-2 in the first set Djokovic won 8 games in a row.