Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Wildcards Jonny O'Mara and Olivia Nicholls are into the mixed doubles semi finals. O'Mara had hinted that this might he his last tourney after joining Andy Murray's coaching team. They have beaten the 4th and 5th seeds in their last two matches and now face the 7th seeds Mate Pavic and Lyudmyla Kichenok in the semis.

6 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

What's the story with the absence of ranking points at Queens/Eastbourne/Wimbledon last year compared to this? Won't it potentially cause a distorted ranking after the tournament this year? 

Last year was the outlier that could have potentially distorted things, no ranking points were given due to banning russians,  they are allowed back so points back on offer and things should settle down.  

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I mean, if that’s it, then what a ridiculous stance to take. From looking online he seems to have an anti-war stance.

As far as I’m concerned, Russian and Belarusian players should be banned from international sport until they put the necessary pressure on Putin to stop the war. I don’t think the neutral flag achieves that and it’s deeply unfair on the innocent Ukrainian players for them to be forced to share the stage with Russians. 

Cracking game here between Eubanks and Medvedev. Tied at one set all and the American is playing some unreal tennis and looking the more likely.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

As far as I’m concerned, Russian and Belarusian players should be banned from international sport until they put the necessary pressure on Putin to stop the war. I don’t think the neutral flag achieves that and it’s deeply unfair on the innocent Ukrainian players for them to be forced to share the stage with Russians. 

You must be hating the end to this match now.

Men’s semis today then. No surprises, three of the top four seeds and the best four players in the world this year according to the ATP race. 
The best of three different generations of players represented too. Djokovic representing the last of old da’s born in the 80’s. Medvedev the best player of the ‘lost generation’ of players born in the 90’s. Got to feel for those guys, there can’t be another decade that’s produced so few slam winners. They spent the early days of their career getting hounded by the big three and will spend the latter days of their career losing to the much more talented younger generation. They should be in their peak years of mid-late 20’s now, but they’re still nowhere.

Alcaraz and Sinner are the two best young players in the world and both born after 2000. It’s just a question of when they start beating Djokovic at the majors and the generational skip happens. Will it be Sinner today? Alcaraz on Sunday? Probably not…. But you never know. 

F1D41CD7-A24C-4F68-9E17-2695D927AA39.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

How the hell can Djokovic be called out for 'hindrance' when Sabalenka shrieks like a banshee on every shot ?

Ridiculous.

I think it was the timing of it.  They get away with making noises as they hit the ball, but he seemed to hit it and then shouted abit after. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I think it was the timing of it.  They get away with making noises as they hit the ball, but he seemed to hit it and then shouted abit after. 

The ball is almost at the other end of the court before he makes the noise.

So Djokovic Vs Alcaraz final. I think Alcaraz is the only guy on the planet capable of living with Novak at the moment. Should be a classic. I hope Carlos doesn't cramp up like at the French. My head says Djokovic in 4 or 5 but my heart says Alcaraz in straights.