Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

43 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It appears that Murray can play with a metal hip but Raducanu can’t cope with a slight stiffness in her wrist. Says it all for me really…..

In fairness to Raducanu, she has a last 16 singles match tomorrow. I doubt she's arsed enough about the mixed doubles to jeopardise her chances in that if she's not 100%

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

In fairness to Raducanu, she has a last 16 singles match tomorrow. I doubt she's arsed enough about the mixed doubles to jeopardise her chances in that if she's not 100%

That’s absolutely fine but just don’t agree to play in the first place if you know you will pull out with any minor niggle - I imagine it’s pretty common during a tournament to pick these up. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

That’s absolutely fine but just don’t agree to play in the first place if you know you will pull out with any minor niggle - I imagine it’s pretty common during a tournament to pick these up. 

Any minor niggle? This was her a year ago. Give her a break. It’s exactly why they did the big farewell the other night rather than leave it until today incase this happened. 

IMG_0327.webp

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Any minor niggle? This was her a year ago. Give her a break. It’s exactly why they did the big farewell the other night rather than leave it until today incase this happened. 

IMG_0327.webp

Fair enough, but maybe wasn’t the wisest decision to agree to play in the mixed in the first place. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Fair enough, but maybe wasn’t the wisest decision to agree to play in the mixed in the first place. 

You could say the same for Andy agreeing to play in the singles. 

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

You could say the same for Andy agreeing to play in the singles. 

Well, not really - given his ability to play in it wasn’t tied to someone else. 

Considering the issues with Emma’s wrists, she’s wise to rest it.  It brings an end to Andy’s Wimbledon career, but he more than most will understand playing with a slight injury isn’t good for your long term health.  Andy would make the exact same decision if the roles were reversed. 

Yeah no surprise to see Emma pull out of Andy’s testimonial when she’s still in the singles draw. Priorities and all that. 

This was always likely to happen if Raducanu made the second week. It’s a shame he can’t change partners at the last minute, he probably should have asked one of the lower ranked British players or Mirra Andreeva instead since she was knocked out in the first round and Andy is her idol. 

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Not any more. Raducanu has withdrawn from mixed due to an issue with her wrist.

Which they obviously already knew there was a chance of and that was why they did the big farewell the other night.

13 minutes ago, Miguel Simao said:

This was always likely to happen if Raducanu made the second week. It’s a shame he can’t change partners at the last minute, he probably should have asked one of the lower ranked British players or Mirra Andreeva instead since she was knocked out in the first round and Andy is her idol. 

He could have teamed up with Heather Watson to get her out of the huff she has been in since 2012 when he opted to play with Laura Robson in the Olympics.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Murray of all people can not complain about this.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Murray of all people can not complain about this.

Given that he was a regular in the Davis Cup when he was needed for GB I’m struggling to understand this one.

And given that Raducanu was so glowing in the press re how honoured to play with Andy in such a significant farewell, i personally find her behaviour outrageous here. She simply could have turned down the opportunity given how important the singles appear to be to her.
Pretty sure if he’d been able to ask Dart or Boulter, and they were in the same position we would not have seen the same outcome considering it’s a farewell for a legend of the game, and a reasonable chance to also win a major doubles title too…..

Edited by roman_bairn

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Considering the issues with Emma’s wrists, she’s wise to rest it.  It brings an end to Andy’s Wimbledon career, but he more than most will understand playing with a slight injury isn’t good for your long term health.  Andy would make the exact same decision if the roles were reversed. 

I’ve got my doubts there’s any injury whatsoever tbh….

She was expecting to be out the singles, she isn’t. 
She’s not risking a run in the singles for a glorified exhibition mixed doubles match, and rightly so. 
If the shoe was on the other foot and Raducanu was out the ladies and Andy was heading into the second week of the gents singles you can bet your life he wouldn’t be playing any mixed doubles. 

Perhaps Murray chose radacanu as he thought she was the best partner even if that came with increased risk of her dropping out.

Regardless it's not her responsibility to make sure Murray gets a nice farewell, she has made a decision that happens at every single grand slam where players end up making decisions based of priority events.  Wimbledon is a sports competition and the athletes will make decisions for themselves.  It's not like she's refused to turn up to his retirement dinner.

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Given that he was a regular in the Davis Cup when he was needed for GB I’m struggling to understand this one.

Nothing too deep. But he entered the singles this year and, despite being extremely unlikely to play, didn't withdraw until the last minute.