Who Will Be Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager?

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was well before his last season.

Overstayed his welcome by two seasons.

Accies legend, but my God his final couple of seasons were a disaster.

Reid did a brilliant job for us but we were crying out for something different as was highlighted when Neil came in. I do feel that Reid's good work is somewhat overlooked by many Accies fans because of his very poor final 2 and 3/4 seasons.

Well, that was an open goal...

:(

I wouldn't worry. Super Ally must be unhirable in Scotland now. Surely.

Paul Ince does tend to end up at lower Scottish Premiership/Championship clubs in Football Manager, though...

I wouldn't worry. Super Ally must be unhirable in Scotland now. Surely.

Paul Ince does tend to end up at lower Scottish Premiership/Championship clubs in Football Manager, though...

Indeed. I think Ince's record of failing to last any significant length of time at any club he's been at as a manager would be sufficient warning. Especially since we've just binned ours within 10 months.

John Hughes.

Not sure how serious you are but, as I posted in Dundee U manager thread, I am surprised that he isn't in running for available jobs due to our last couple of seasons, a league cup final, a top 4 finish 2 seasons ago, a cup WIN, 3rd in league and European qualification last term.

Not that I do want him to leave yet but I do concede that he will leave for a "bigger club/challenge sooner rather than later.

With United, Motherwell, Rotherham, Brentford and Doncaster jobs available, I am worried about oor gaffer leaving for more money/another challenge.

What I will say is, Paul Telfer and Csaba Laszlo were linked with us when Tel left for His so I'm surprised both aren't being touted or mentioned for this or the United jobs.

Thoughts on John and the 2 that I have mentioned?

John Hughes - no thanks. If he was appointed the fans at Fir Park would revolt I suspect. Csaba Laszlo: not impressed by his stint at Tynecastle. Paul Telfer - don't know much about him. I doubt if we would be willing to pay compensation to secure any candidate in a job.

I genuinely have no idea who we will appoint, as our last five managerial appointments have taken everyone by surprise in that they weren't touted for the job so who knows who we will get. For the sake of the club and the board, it has to be the right one though as they got it badly wrong with Baraclough.

The most important thing for me is that we need to steer clear of the unknown, untested managers, or ex fan favourites, ie. Craigan, Nijholt or Valakari as they have no other credentials other than they once played for the club. What we need right now is an experienced manager with a good track record of man management at our level (and I emphasise 'at OUR LEVEL' for the "we ain't Barca" brigade of our support. I really don't expect us to be able,to lure Pep Guardiola) similar to when Craig Brown came in to steady the ship and did so in 2010. I've already said that Jimmy Calderwood would be a good choice for us, or even Tommy McLean, if he fancied it, returning for a short period to get us back on track. They might not be exciting appointments, but right now we need to focus on staying in the top flight and to do that we're going to need a manager to come in and get the best out of the current squad.

What I will say is, Paul Telfer and Csaba Laszlo were linked with us when Tel left for His so I'm surprised both aren't being touted or mentioned for this or the United jobs.

Big Csaba and his dancing shoes has been linked with just about every vacancy in Scotland, hasn't he?

From listening to him Craigan genuinely doesn't seem to want the job which is fairly understandable. By all accounts he doesn't seem to give the impression that actually being a 'football manager' is something that's really on his agenda at the moment. I'd imagine that his BT work and u20s role is fairly enjoyable and significantly less stressful. Valakari seems to have a good record in his current job and by all accounts is regarded as a very good coach but even though it was years ago I think the whole Harri Kampman appointment might dissuade the club from going down the route of a manager whose only managerial/coaching experience is outwith the UK, see also Baraclough's 'success' in the League of Ireland.

I genuinely have no idea who we'll appoint for exactly the reason MJC points out above, none of our recent appointments have been expected even going back to making McLeish player/manager. If we really have received 70+ applications then I'd hope that there are at least a few credible ones in there. I have a rough idea of the sort of manager that the board will want however I get the feeling with Baraclough they gave the whole 'community club' side of things a bit too much emphasis possibly at the expense of whether the guy was actually a good manager or coach.

The only thing I can say for certain is that I'd rather that Calderwood or Shiels weren't anywhere near Fir Park.

The main issue we have at the moment is that we are now the 2nd most atttractive job currently available in the Scottlsh Premiership. Anyone in for the Motherwell job would surely prefer the Dundee Utd job, you would think.

While I understand MJC's thinking about the 'older head' i'm not sure Tommy McLean is the one for that. He's not been involved in management in what, 20 years?

I really haven't a clue who'll get it, which puts me in exactly the same position as the Scottish media and bookmakers. When Bara left, one of the first names I thought of was Steven Pressley. I always thought he'd done an ok job at Coventry (considering they were a financial basketcase at the time) but on closer inspection, it wasn't great at all. Talks a game does Pressley, which might just impress the board if he were to get an interview. "Promoting youth" "attacking football" "playing the right way" etc etc. The board fell for it during Baraclough's interview, they'll need to ensure it doesn't happen again. Another failed appointment would not reflect well on Les "Business Acumen" Hutchinson.

I think Craigan would take it if they offered it to him but he isn't going to ask for it. He is quite happy to stick with the U20s, do his badges and keep up his TV stuff. And if he puts his name forward and doesn't get it any new manager is going to see him as a threat.

Pressley would be a disaster, Baraclough mk II, all talk no results.

Paul Telfer is the assistant manager of a club in America now I believe.

Archived