World cup 2018 campaign

totally agree....id actually be far more concerned with the coaching team for u21s (and indeed other age groups) than Strachan staying or going.....we clearly have weak spots in senior team but very few young players pushing to replace the seniors....havent seen anything from u21s that says there will be a chance to significantly evolve the senior squad for the next campaign or even next euros....

Yup - a massive part of the u21 manager's remit should be to focus on the areas that need reinforced in the top team. I've never really had the feeling that the u21s and the top side have any sort of joined-up strategy though.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

totally agree....id actually be far more concerned with the coaching team for u21s (and indeed other age groups) than Strachan staying or going.....we clearly have weak spots in senior team but very few young players pushing to replace the seniors....havent seen anything from u21s that says there will be a chance to significantly evolve the senior squad for the next campaign or even next euros....

i don't think the national structure is that important in developing young players. The clubs have them 90% of the time and are quite clearly failing to produce or develop any decent talent.

If the clubs aren't producing the players it doesn't matter who's in charge of national teams, they have nothing to work with. Lets face it it's not just the national team that's failing in Europe.

i don't think the national structure is that important in developing young players. The clubs have them 90% of the time and are quite clearly failing to produce or develop any decent talent.

If the clubs aren't producing the players it doesn't matter who's in charge of national teams, they have nothing to work with. Lets face it it's not just the national team that's failing in Europe.

Aren't they though? There seems to be a much steadier supply coming from Scottish clubs than I can ever remember. Pretty much every single member of the u21 squad bar the goalkeepers is an established first team player at their club which is surely all the club is looking for from academy graduates

I've found out that I'll be free on 4th September next year. Since the fixtures came out, I've been eyeing up Malta away on that date, because I've got a friend from there and it's a great wee country.

What chance would I have of getting a ticket with 0 points (as a new SSC member)?

I've found out that I'll be free on 4th September next year. Since the fixtures came out, I've been eyeing up Malta away on that date, because I've got a friend from there and it's a great wee country.

What chance would I have of getting a ticket with 0 points (as a new SSC member)?

Forget about tickets, you'll get in very easily. I saw Malta v Israel a few years back and there's no chance that the Maltese will fill even a quarter of Ta' Qali.

Your biggest concern right now is flights. We booked some the other week and you're already talking > £200 a pop. We contemplated finding our way to Sicily and taking the ferry until we found a few reasonable seats that were left.

Forget about tickets, you'll get in very easily. I saw Malta v Israel a few years back and there's no chance that the Maltese will fill even a quarter of Ta' Qali.

I did have a hunch that the home end wouldn't be exactly full.

OK, it would mean being away from other Scotland fans but my guess is that a lot of away games is as much about the location as it is the game.

Your biggest concern right now is flights. We booked some the other week and you're already talking > £200 a pop. We contemplated finding our way to Sicily and taking the ferry until we found a few reasonable seats that were left.

Yea, I had a look on Skyscanner and it was >£300 for the direct Ryanair flights from Edinburgh. Although that isn't much more than I was last year in July. Bouncing at LHR is around £250.

I did have a hunch that the home end wouldn't be exactly full.

OK, it would mean being away from other Scotland fans but my guess is that a lot of away games is as much about the location as it is the game.

It was a good few years ago now, but we got hospitality tickets for £10 more than home end tickets and that came with an open bar and all the olives you can handle. Might be worth seeing if they do something similar this time. Crackin' seats too. (Not hospitality in the British way of shirt and tie either. The President was kickin' about in a Malta top with a pair of jeans)

Aren't they though? There seems to be a much steadier supply coming from Scottish clubs than I can ever remember. Pretty much every single member of the u21 squad bar the goalkeepers is an established first team player at their club which is surely all the club is looking for from academy graduates

That's good. But my point still stands. What the clubs do is far more important than who is coaching the national u21 side.

I think every game (with the exception of Ireland) went down to 0 points in the Euro campaign. A very limited number of tickets albeit but if you keep an eye on it you might get your hands on one. The only thing is that quite a lot of people on 0 points (myself included) picked up a ticket for Gibraltar so there's now an extra 1500 or so sitting on one point than there would've been otherwise.

If it's an area that can be improved we should be doing so.....other bigger stronger nations like Germany Spain etc pay far more attention to age grade internationals than us....and we are the ones falling behind.....i take your point about the club's but don't think we can afford to keep shrugging our shoulders and allowing the status quo.....Iceland spent huge amount of time on their u21s as did Switzerland over recent years and they are now qualifying at senior level.....It isn't the only area needing attention of course but we can't leave any stone unturned anymore...

If we're going to qualify, (I don't think we will) we need to take 6 points of Malta Lithuania and Slovenia. Lets just assume for a min that England and Slovakia will do likewise, we then need to get something from Slovakia. Anything against England is a bonus. Even then we'd be looking at a play off. A giant much better teams than would be in this years.

In Zante at the time of the Malta game but it's fairly cheap to get to Malta from there (especially if my dad and grandpa are willing to pay for flights back and accommodation if they're in Malta).

Slovakia's looking cheap for an overnight (£100 from London to Bratislava) but I'll need to make it down to London and accommodation down there and transport from Bratislava to wherever the game will be played.

London will sort itself, don't fancy Lithuania and won't be able to check travel arrangements for Slovenia yet. Some good trips this campaign!

A great country to visit.

I'm sure it is and it was my second choice for the Euro 2012 Qualifiers (still didn't make it) but I can't see me affording it. If I manage to pull the money from somewhere then I'll definitely try though.

Scotland's points haul from this group?v England 0v. Malta 6v. Slovakia 1v. Slovenia 3v. Lithuania 4 Total ..14. Failure again!

f**k up ya pessimistic c**t and toke up on happy pills.

Archived