Forfar Athletic v Ayr United

You mean the referee shouldn't apply the laws correctly because you feel sorry for Devlin being incompetent?

No wonder refs have an impossible job.

If you actually bothered to read further on you will see I changed my mind after seeing it again. Firstly viewed it on my phone.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no swallowing pride or getting it wrong, Gilmour was crap for a number of months and I don't think you would find many fans who would have said otherwise.

I also don't think any fans will be gutted that he has improved as a footballer week by week this season and most would have been behind him to do well since he signed

The credit has to go to McCall here, I think. He made the call that Gilmour needed to be playing further up field and it is paying off for both the player and the team.

Last season, when Gilmour played as the deep lying playmaker, it wasn't great as he's not a ball winner and, in a poor team, playmaking was difficult - few players were looking for the ball. Gilmour was therefore coming in for criticism for a) not putting his foot in and b) giving away possession. This season Ross Docherty does an excellent job winning the ball in midfield (but needs to work on what he then does), and Gilmour, often playing a bit wider has more space and more options. Plus most players are going to do better in a confident, winning team.

If you could combine Gilmour and Doherty and add a foot in height you'd have some player...

There is no swallowing pride or getting it wrong, Gilmour was crap for a number of months and I don't think you would find many fans who would have said otherwise.

I also don't think any fans will be gutted that he has improved as a footballer week by week this season and most would have been behind him to do well since he signed

fair enough

At the red card Forfar player is running at speed to get the ball and collides with Devlins leg as he went to flick it on. Will be interesting to see if we appeal it

Reaction from Devlin says it all. He knew it was a red. No malice, unlucky but still a red.

Spot on.

He warranted criticism last season as did a lot of them. This season however he definitely deserves praise for the way he's went about his business.

The credit has to go to McCall here, I think. He made the call that Gilmour needed to be playing further up field and it is paying off for both the player and the team.

Last season, when Gilmour played as the deep lying playmaker, it wasn't great as he's not a ball winner and, in a poor team, playmaking was difficult - few players were looking for the ball. Gilmour was therefore coming in for criticism for a) not putting his foot in and b) giving away possession. This season Ross Docherty does an excellent job winning the ball in midfield (but needs to work on what he then does), and Gilmour, often playing a bit wider has more space and more options. Plus most players are going to do better in a confident, winning team.

If you could combine Gilmour and Doherty and add a foot in height you'd have some player...

Gilmour used to do something good every 2-3 matches and was an average player in a poor team, he now has players to find with passes rather than his signature over-hit diagonal ball, he is more active, seems to be more accurate with his final pass and is worth his place in the team before Crawford and Donald.

I'm probably not alone in thinking at the time it was strange to offer him a deal for this year but if he continues with the form he is on he would be one of the first I would want signed on early for next year.

It's a pretty clear red card.

Didn't think there was much between the sides. Both our goals were really impressive, first one very well worked and yano's strike was superb!!

Two costly errors by Douglas and we didn't seem to react well at all to them in the 2nd half.

Tremendous strike for Forfar's second - almost as good as Pat Scullions blockbuster for Cowden in our recent 7 (Seven) - 1 win over our neighbours. Couple of big Rab clangers (old age or missing Dods nodding away lots of the high balls he seems to flap at?) but Ayr still look to be playing decent football.

Tremendous strike for Forfar's second - almost as good as Pat Scullions blockbuster for Cowden in our recent 7 (Seven) - 1 win over our neighbours. Couple of big Rab clangers (old age or missing Dods nodding away lots of the high balls he seems to flap at?) but Ayr still look to be playing decent football.

Rab is either shit hot or throwing away clangers like yesterday. Few times he's done this including the play off final at Alloa . Still a very good keeper at this level though. Aye very easy on the eye , pass it about well , had total control of midfield yesterday

While we were pretty poor in the first half (barring about 10-15 mins) it was pretty harsh to be going in two behind, Our poorness was more up constantly coming forward and choosing the wrong pass or holding onto it for too long.

Second half we upped our game and we deserved the goals we got even if they were a bit fortunate.

Forfar obviously have their injury problems but i was pretty disappointed with how little they showed in the game.

I'm old school when it comes to tackling, I absolutely love a well-timed cruncher that feels like a goal but that challenge could have ended a career, it's got to be a red all day for me.

Even although I think it's a red all day long not in a million years do I think there was any malice from Devlin, IIBH I think he was intending to play the ball rather than make a tackle.

I'm old school when it comes to tackling, I absolutely love a well-timed cruncher that feels like a goal but that challenge could have ended a career, it's got to be a red all day for me.

Even although I think it's a red all day long not in a million years do I think there was any malice from Devlin, IIBH I think he was intending to play the ball rather than make a tackle.

Doesn't look like he tries to tackle it's just the way he went for the ball and it looked bad

Which one? Badly at fault for both Ayr goals. Given he hadn't even played a practise match should he have played?

Not sure what Dick's policy is this season. Both Denholm and Dunlop were playing U20s on Tuesday night after their injuries but Sanny and Rab both walk into 1st team (like Swanks and TOB previously) after time out injured. Be interesting to see which route Young is put down - 20s for match sharpness or 1st team cos he's a senior player.

Archived