Things that are eroding British Nationalism

Antlion

The BBC is one of the last bastions of "Britishness", I think. That may be why it attracts anger and adoration in equal measure from Scottish and British nationalists.

Looking at it impassionately, it's output is horrendously biased in a lot of ways (not always against independence, but other things), and it's dramatic output is a shadow of its glory days.

There's plenty of people who qualify as "British nationalists" that hate the BBC as well. It really seems to be at its lowest ebb in a long time.

This. From the days before the election when the SNP genuinely thought that they were going be the deciding numbers in forming a coalition, to banging on about their 'invasion' of Westminster. The way the Yes losers were going on I thought they had a thousand SNP MP's going down who could easily have voted down EVEL.

Looks like it's finally dawning on 'the only show in town' that they are there simply to make up the numbers. In fact the only two things of note I can remember are a wee girl giving a decent speech someone else probably wrote for her, and some petty move to steal an elderly Lib Dem MP's traditional seat on the front bench.

Is a bit weird that you're happy for Scotland to be a complete irrelevance at Westminster tbh.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Berwickmad having the mother of all mares on here. I don't think he's coping well with the disintegration of the Union.

The Kincardine/Red Rob/Mastermind and the likes are the type of folk that make me feel embarrassed to be Scottish at times. What a subservient bunch of fannies we are.

We're not.

They most certainly are. I'm surprised they can stand up given their absolute lack of backbone.

The ordinary Joe on the street said No, you and the rest of the separatist mob on here still can't get over that.

Sook it up until your next shot mate, it's your only choice.

I'm already over it. We'll win the next one. I can wait.

Berwickmad having the mother of all mares on here. I don't think he's coping well with the disintegration of the Union.

We're not.

They most certainly are. I'm surprised they can stand up given their absolute lack of backbone.

Surely, there must be something, anything, that you can do rather than bang your fucking drum on here 20 hours of the day?

Looks like it's finally dawning on 'the only show in town' that they are there simply to make up the numbers.

Your argument appears to be that Scottish MPs have no influence in UK-wide decisions, and were never going to have.

And you're happy about that?

We're not.

I don't care for the union tbh.

So why the hissy fit?

As I said, I don't agree that people pushing causes should just be allowed to come on here and bombard the forum. I wouldn't go on a cookery forum and start bombarding a political/religious agenda at them.

As I said, I don't agree that people pushing causes should just be allowed to come on here and bombard the forum. I wouldn't go on a cookery forum and start bombarding a political/religious agenda at them.

But this is a political sub forum. Surely he's entitled to post where he likes?

I don't know of a similar sized good political forum on Scottish politics. It's up to him if he wants to discuss football, politics, gaming or his top 5 marvel superheroes, surely?

It's up to the owner of the site what parts of the forum anyone can post in. If you don't want someone on here only posting in the Politics Forum then ask the owner to make it "x amount of posts in football forum" instead of taking the topics way off

Come on, guys. BerwickMad has a long record of also following people around, hounding them for only posting on the politics forum, when he disagrees with what they say.

He's just a tireless servant of his own 'P&B code'.

It seems to me that a number of events are contributing to the slow, drip-drip erosion of unionism in Scotland. These are ongoing, and were evidently not in place for the Yes side to win the referendum. Amongst them, I recognise:

The decline of Religion: religion all over Scotland is mercifully dying. As someone raised a Cafflick, I can remember the "Tim", "proddy" shite thrown between competing playgrounds, and perceive that it's on the wane along with the influence of the Presbyterian and Catholic Churches. Few people have time for the OO fringe these days.

The death of Rangers: 'nuff said.

The rise of social media and decline of print journalism: people are harder to control via the presses, and an increasing number don't trust the mainstream media.

Devolution: it introduced the idea that power over Scotland does not need to be centralised in an increasingly unpopular London parliament.

The end of the Empire: the union was an imperial enterprise, with Scotland a willing partner. Now the empire is extinct.

The decline of Labour: once seen as a credible alternative. The scales have fallen from many eyes about this shower, and the fact that we don't actually have the power to oust the Tories (blue or red) is an increasingly bitter pill for many.

The growth in national identity: Scotland's universities and schools are shedding the Scottish cringe that dominated for decades. People now celebrate Scottish literature, art and music as opposed to considering it a redneck cousin of English culture.

EVEL: the latest. Scotland's MPs are now effectively barred from the UK's top jobs in government. The pretence that we are an equal partnership of nations is over.

With all these things, it's really hard to imagine "Britishness" and regionalism making inroads, and not just stemming the wave of Scottish nationalism, but reversing it and flooding it with British nationalism (to mangle a metaphor). Times seem to be a-changing.

Nearly all of these points were as you say in place before the referendum campaign

Also wee edit to add , Rangers just like the union are not dead ;)

Rangers are dead. The union is only dying.

Blow you're nose Gordon, the best supported club in Scotland by a f*ckin mile, home/away, TV figures etc, playing in the 2nd tier, doesn't say much for the rest of yas eh?

Archived