Killie v Motherwell

we should be more than capable of taking something from the game.

And the same can be said for 95% of the games in the Premiership at the moment. I know this whole 'the league will be ruined without Rangers' garbage was put to bed a while ago, but it continues to be the case every week that anyone can beat anyone - and it's great.
Same goes for this game. Not a scooby who'll win or what the score will be. All I do know is that Josh will score - the only certainty in a league of uncertainties.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're still a very obvious work in progress so it's genuinely difficult to know what to expect. We treated the Celtic fixture as a training game (Laing in midfield, Lasley, McDonald, Ainsworth all on the bench) and the Aberdeen game was a different shape from the 433 the week before but showed marked improvement on what we've seen so far this season. As Casagolda says it'll be interesting to see how we get on with McGhee having had another week to work with the squad but equally I'd imagine that this would be the first game where he'd be legitimately hoping for 3 points and whether or not that informs his team selection/system will be telling.

As poor as we've been both this season and last we've got a decent record against Killie recently in the league; LXWWW but equally our away record overall is poor. Either way it'll be interesting to see what McGhee does selection-wise, the only guarantees are Ripley in goal and the same back 4 as usual. Beyond that, who knows?

Lasley went off injured at the weekend depending on how serious that is who comes in to replace? Jack Leitch and set up similar to how we started vs Aberdeen or Ainsworth and go with both him and Johnson on the park? Do we stick with Moult and Fletcher or did McDonald and Robinson do enough in their 20/30mins at the weekend to warrant giving them a shot? I'd be surprised if we made a load of unenforced changes but we've noticeably improved with the introductions of both Ainsworth and McDonald off the bench and beyond that arguably have improved in games as they've gone on.

We're still a very obvious work in progress so it's genuinely difficult to know what to expect. We treated the Celtic fixture as a training game (Laing in midfield, Lasley, McDonald, Ainsworth all on the bench) and the Aberdeen game was a different shape from the 433 the week before but showed marked improvement on what we've seen so far this season. As Casagolda says it'll be interesting to see how we get on with McGhee having had another week to work with the squad but equally I'd imagine that this would be the first game where he'd be legitimately hoping for 3 points and whether or not that informs his team selection/system will be telling.

As poor as we've been both this season and last we've got a decent record against Killie recently in the league; LXWWW but equally our away record overall is poor. Either way it'll be interesting to see what McGhee does selection-wise, the only guarantees are Ripley in goal and the same back 4 as usual. Beyond that, who knows?

Lasley went off injured at the weekend depending on how serious that is who comes in to replace? Jack Leitch and set up similar to how we started vs Aberdeen or Ainsworth and go with both him and Johnson on the park? Do we stick with Moult and Fletcher or did McDonald and Robinson do enough in their 20/30mins at the weekend to warrant giving them a shot? I'd be surprised if we made a load of unenforced changes but we've noticeably improved with the introductions of both Ainsworth and McDonald off the bench and beyond that arguably have improved in games as they've gone on.

Hang on a minute, what the f**k is this? There's no room for actual football discussion in threads where your teams playing against Kilmarnock. All it should be is a series of increasingly tenuous references to the smash BBC1 series "The Scheme".

Must do better.

To be honest we were considerably worse on Saturday when Lasley went off injured and we brought on Ainsworth and went to a more standard 442. See that spell during the 2nd half on Saturday where Aberdeen missed 3 or 4 good chances to finish the game off? That for me was due to the loss of Lasley and replacing him with Lionel.

Not Ainsworth's fault mind, he's obviously a different player to Keith entirely. However we changed shape and fell right out the game during that 20 mins or so and were fortunate to escape without conceding another.

In the first half the trio of Grimshaw, Lasley and Pearson bossed the midfield and never allowed Aberdeen to get going. Once Lasley went off, we were outnumbered in there and allowed Aberdeen to take control of the match.

I can't see Mcghee risking it here against a what will be a confident Killie side in good form. Think it will be a similar shape on Saturday to the one we lined up with at Pittodrie and if Ainsworth and McDonald are to start it will be in place of Moult and Fletcher, not Lasley.

To be honest we were considerably worse on Saturday when Lasley went off injured and we brought on Ainsworth and went to a more standard 442. See that spell during the 2nd half on Saturday where Aberdeen missed 3 or 4 good chances to finish the game off? That for me was due to the loss of Lasley and replacing him with Lionel.

Not Ainsworth's fault mind, he's obviously a different player to Keith entirely. However we changed shape and fell right out the game during that 20 mins or so and were fortunate to escape without conceding another.

Fair point and completely agree.

What I was getting at, but neglected to say, was that when he's been used we've looked better in an attacking sense with Ainsworth on the park rather than as an overall team. The change in shape clearly and fairly understandably would have had a knock on effect. I think most folk when looking at Baraclough's teams they were pointing out that having Johnson and Ainsworth on at the same time has left us open in the centre of midfield so in that respect I'm curious to see whether McGhee can get some sort of balance that utilises both. I'd say in order to do that we'd need to sacrifice a striker and play a more conventional 433, as you say with McDonald and Ainsworth in place of Moult and Fletcher.

As others have said, it will be the inevitable case of Killie playing well and getting a couple of unexpected results, then mucking up the easier game in a run of fixtures.

Also, the only game out of our six-match renaissance that I've managed to make it to was our 2-1 defeat by Accies... (this isn't unique, I've a bad habit of watching Kilmarnock lose)

Anyhow, I'll be there tomorrow.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

As others have said, it's hard to know what to expect from us here. Our performance against Aberdeen was both surprising and very encouraging and a massive improvement on the hapless showing against Celtic the week before. McGhee mentioned in his pre-match press conference that there would be little point in starting with the exact same eleven that lined up at Pittodrie and mentioned that the subs made a telling contribution, so we're likely to see changes. We could go with:

-------------------Ripley-------------------

Law----Kennedy---McManus----Chalmers

Ainsworth---Lasley---Pearson---Johnson

------------McDonald-----Moult------------

Ainsworth and McDonald certainly made a difference when they came on last week. No-one in midfield really did anything to merit being dropped, but if we're bringing Ainsworth into the team it's better to keep a balance with the two wingers. Would like to see McDonald start up front as opposed to behind the main striker. Again, Fletcher didn't do anything particularly wrong last week, but Moult is our top scorer and as such deserves to start.

I'm a bit concerned about the prospect of Magennis vs McManus given the former's goalscoring form of late and the way he bullied McManus in the games at Rugby Park last season, but I'm hopeful we can carry on from last week's encouraging performance and secure another 1-1 draw.

Lasley's out with the calf injury he picked up at Pittodrie. Out until the international break apparently. Was interesting to hear McGhee talk about trying to find the balance between putting out a team to win the game and getting the chance to assess his squad in his pre-match interview. I'd imagine we'd probably see Jake Taylor get some minutes in this game.

McGhee was also talking about how he's still trying to work out his best combination in attack, which opens the door for Moult and Fletcher to take a seat without it sounding like they're being dropped. It was encouraging to hear him imply that if we were to play 2 wingers it'd be with 3 midfielders in the centre.

If he's looking at a direct replacement for Lasley then Leitch seems the most likely option.

Assuming the plastic park doesn't rule Johnson out I'd have thought we might see something along the lines of;

Ripley

Law - Kennedy - McManus - Chalmers

Leitch - Grimshaw - Pearson

Ainsworth - McDonald - Johnson

What a sensible and boring thread , 1 day before the match and just creeping onto the second page.! I blame Estragon for this debacle

What we need is more animosity, the Well fans should take a leaf out of the Dundee/Hearts/Maureen's etc

I'll start .... Tam Cowan is a fat pig

Killie to win 2 v 1 the messiahs protege to bag a brace

Our pitch is miles better than what most teams in Scotland will be playing on in 3 months. Never understood this fascination with playing on grass. For a club like ours it makes far better sense to have a good artificial pitch instead of a grass pitch we cant maintain. Will go for a 1-0 win for us tomorrow although would expect Motherwell to put up a good fight.

Difficult to predict but I'm sure we'll have a scheme, with Marv hitting a bullet in a one nil victory.

I see what you did there..... But unlike bullet i'm not biting, so its the doghouse for you

I know what you are saying Nutz , don't forget they put the zombies in their place as well for which we are all grateful and they do the best match posters ever , but its just not a football match thread without bitterness and bile .

If it helps try imagining Willie Pettigrew shagging your gran

I hate the pitch argument.

They are professionals and should be able to adapt.

The only slight argument would be the ground is harder, but that would happen in winter on grass anyway. Not to mention bobbles etc.

Archived