The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

4 hours ago, sureiknow said:

I've never looked in the Junior Forum . 

You guys have put me off.

Can't be that bad surely ? 

Is it like the Dark Web?

I've never been in the Dark Web,however I have seen a few documentaries. I'm very curious.  I have been in the Junior Forum, I won't be back. It's wild. 

When I think of my elderly relatives, all dead now, who fought in the Second World War I'm absolutely sure that, despite never speaking about their experiences, they'd have appreciated a massive tifo display of a poppy followed by a chorus of the Billy Boys and a few squaddies in uniform doing the bouncy.  It really expresses the quiet dignity that Remembrance Day is all about.

37 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When I think of my elderly relatives, all dead now, 

And there in lies the crux of the matter for me. The WW1 folks are all gone. My granny is a hard as nails 94 year old Dumbarton 'wummin' but she is very much in the last line of the WW2 era. I appreciate that there will be a fair number of Korean vets as well. But beyond that the engagements have been small scale (Norn Iron aside) and ALL volunteers. Yet the Poppy "machine" has never been bigger. I noticed this morning that there is a pop up shop in Queen St station. We seem to have created a grief industry. Do the millions raised all go on veterans care etc?

I'll happily put a couple of quid in a tin in the second week of November and I always think of my grampa on Remembarance Sunday. I don't really need a monogrammed shopping bag and matching tea cosy for my quiet reflection.

And there in lies the crux of the matter for me. The WW1 folks are all gone. My granny is a hard as nails 94 year old Dumbarton 'wummin' but she is very much in the last line of the WW2 era. I appreciate that there will be a fair number of Korean vets as well. But beyond that the engagements have been small scale (Norn Iron aside) and ALL volunteers. Yet the Poppy "machine" has never been bigger. I noticed this morning that there is a pop up shop in Queen St station. We seem to have created a grief industry. Do the millions raised all go on veterans care etc?

I'll happily put a couple of quid in a tin in the second week of November and I always think of my grampa on Remembarance Sunday. I don't really need a monogrammed shopping bag and matching tea cosy for my quiet reflection.

You must be awful at remembering. Nothing says solemn like a massive poppy on the front of a Vauxhall Corsa IMO.

I though the poppy had changed, to all fallen  that British soldiers died. So to say for WW1 only is incorrect, it ongoing. I wear one (same one for 14 years) that died in Bonsia. He was not British. He was Scottish... 

I though the poppy had changed, to all fallen  that British soldiers died. So to say for WW1 only is incorrect, it ongoing. I wear one (same one for 14 years) that died in Bonsia. He was not British. He was Scottish... 

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye he shouldn't live in England and take home English money if he can't even wear a poppy

Lee Rigby's ghost has a single tear run down its cheek at the thought.