The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Can't be bothered reading the debate so far. I wear a poppy as I've ultimate respect for the sacrifices solidiers are prepared to make for OUR benefit.

However, the way rangers fans/loyalists have hijacked poppies as some sign of loyalism is grotesque. People with poppy tattoos and poppy adorned clothing don't care more about such sacrifices- they care about virtue signalling that's they're respectful and others aren't.

I've more respect for someone like James McLean who stands up for what he believes in than the unthinking sheep who fill our TV screens at this time of year who just wear a poppy as it's a societal obligation- how is that respectful? It demeans the full point of wearing one.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37832115

England v Scotland: FA in talks with Fifa over wearing poppies on shirts

Sharethis page
Poppy
England are playing Scotland at Wembley for the first time since August 2013

The Football Association is leading talks with Fifa over whether players can wear poppies on their shirts for England's World Cup qualifier against Scotland at Wembley on 11 November.

The game's world governing body bans political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.

FA bosses want to know what punishment England may receive if they go ahead without Fifa's permission.

The Scottish Football Association is also involved in the talks.

Not sure if this should be in here or the crap journalism thread or the pisspoor BBC coverage of Scottish football thread,

The England players could use a permanent marker and put a black dot on each of their shirts, and claim it was a white poppy and it was just unfortunate that their shirt was also white so you couldn't see it, while simultaneously denying to FIFA that it was anything other than the kit man being shite at his job.

Edited by Ross.

Wish they would stop using football, like this every year. Wear your poppy should you wish (I will), attend your local remembrance service on Sunday, to quietly reflect and pay your respects should you wish ( I will), it's entirely up to the individual. I'm sick of all this he/she is/isn't wearing a poppy noise!!

3 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Wish they would stop using football, like this every year. Wear your poppy should you wish (I will), attend your local remembrance service on Sunday, to quietly reflect and pay your respects should you wish ( I will), it's entirely up to the individual. I'm sick of all this he/she is/isn't wearing a poppy noise!!

Sick of it all, but had to tell us (twice) about how much respect you're going to show.

Sick of it all, but had to tell us (twice) about how much respect you're going to show.

I'm stating my choice that's all, I don't have a problem with those who decide differently. It's not about HOW MUCH respect you claim to show, quiet and thoughtful consideration of those who fell, seems to work for most people.

Here we fucking go 1645c5d6be969f5f6bcb36eae7898ab8.jpg

It's insane, been on talksport all morning, drive down to Edinburgh on a Tuesday morning is depressing as it is without the radio constantly speaking about this (could change or turn off but alternatives are worse ;) ) they actually said if the FA's of both ourselves and England were told by FIFA that they'd face a points deduction then it could be a dilemma and a problem for us both.

We've got 4 fucking points, we better no give a few of them away to stick a wee poppy nobody watching will even really see on our tops. :lol: