The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

27 minutes ago, throbber said:

RwD8eyx.gif

Bit of a dick response. It was a (mostly) decent post.

I say mostly because I disagree with the part about those currently in the armed forces doing shit for the benefit of the people of the UK. That's clearly nonsense.

Edited by DA Baracus

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Bit of a dick response. It was a (mostly) decent post.

I say mostly because I disagree with the part about those currently in the armed forces doing shit for the benefit of the UK. That's clearly nonsense.

I'm sorry DA and Miguel for my dick of a response. 

Will get to reading it right now.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Just realised that Caley are at Parkhead on Saturday.  Will we get treated to the now annual ritual of booing of the minutes silence?

Do they have a minutes silence at Celtic Park? #srs

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Just realised that Caley are at Parkhead on Saturday.  Will we get treated to the now annual ritual of booing of the minutes silence?

Probably.

Sometimes I wish that what should be private displays of belief, respect and remembrance, were left as that and that we stopped having the whole organized displays of it at sports events or indeed at any other event. I think the initial drive behind it was well-intentioned but it has turned itself into a bit of a nightmare for personal choice and as Miguel was saying, a game of 'I can care more than you'.

Plus Saturday is 6 days before 11/11 and 8 days before Remembrance Sunday. Halloween, then burning Guy Fawkes, then poppyfest and then Christmas is the traditional order of celebrations. #earliereveryyear

Edited by The OP

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

There's a bit on the news about this FIFA business right now. Simon Weston has been wheeled out.

No surprise to see him. He's been raging about football ever since all the teams came up on his accumulator, but they wouldn't let him claim it because he burnt his coupon.

No surprise to see him. He's been raging about football ever since all the teams came up on his accumulator, but they wouldn't let him claim it because he burnt his coupon.

And it's off to hell I go [emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Why would there a be a minute's silence on Saturday anyway?

18 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Quick question.

The soldiers who were shot by other British soldiers for being too shell shocked to "go over the top" and run into machine gun fire.

We wearing poppies for them?

I would imagine so , if you choose to wear one for that particular reason

not sure what point you are getting at here . The world was a completely different place 100 years ago . We all know that ,some dreadfull things happened and were treated as the norm . not sure what sort of point scoring you are trying to achieve here 

Edited by Forever_blueco

Just now, Forever_blueco said:

I would imagine so , not sure what point you are getting at here . The world was a completely different place 100 years ago . We all know that ,some dreadfull things happened and were treated as the norm . not sure what sort of point scoring you are trying to achieve here 

So...move along , nothing to see here?.

Your imagination may be correct I was looking for further data to clarify this that but didn't find any so I posted what I had

If anybody else wants to dig deeper then feel free

Their isn't really a timescale on promotion, Certain trades will promote when you finish your training, infantry regiments you're usually looking at 5-8 years, other corps around 4-5 if you're alright. Can be quicker, can be longer.

In the jobs where you get promoted quicker it's usually because you've got a trade with transferable skills to civilian life that would pay more.

And complete arseholes. There's a lot of shite things about Arbroath but pished Marines going about on the weekends is by far the worst. Fucking can't stand them.

Most I've met have been great company on the drink tbh.

Just now, Romeo said:

So...move along , nothing to see here?.

No that's not what I have said at all , the way shell shocked soldiers were treated at the time was dreadfull as was the way many with mental illness at that time in society were aswell . Just be grateful that attitudes and society has changed 

3 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Their isn't really a timescale on promotion, Certain trades will promote when you finish your training, infantry regiments you're usually looking at 5-8 years, other corps around 4-5 if you're alright. Can be quicker, can be longer.

In the jobs where you get promoted quicker it's usually because you've got a trade with transferable skills to civilian life that would pay more.

Most I've met have been great company on the drink tbh.

Wee lhictie has been rambling on about the marines for years , clearly one has a had a wee cheeky poke or ride at one of his childhood sweethearts IMO :whistle

Edited by Forever_blueco

2 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

No that's not what I have said at all , the way shell shocked soldiers were treated at the time was dreadfull as was the way many with mental illness at that time in society were aswell . Just be grateful that attitudes and society has changed 

Saying that this was "normal" 100 years ago absolutely puts the boot into these guys who were shot for cowardice when in fact they were suffering what we would now call PTSD.

Nothing about it was normal.