The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

It always amazes me when they get a guy on the tv who's had half his limbs blown off talking about how "he has no regrets and he'd do it all again".

Firstly, I would have major regrets. And secondly, it really demonstrates how much these guys are brainwashed into thinking that what they're doing is incredibly beneficial and that any pain and suffering that comes with it is worth it. Brutal.

13 hours ago, Dee Man said:

No, that's number one.

I think he is suggesting that your post is too sensible for this thread.

Don't be silly, where would I get a job like that in Scotland? 

I'm a lion tamer.

Oh... apologies :lol:

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I will hold a personal respect for those who had to endure the two world wars without buying a poppy or doing anything. I don't see why i should have to plaster it in people's faces. Look at me, I'm totally an amazing person for "showing respect"!!! Fck off.

Indeed.

One set of fandans insist it should be plastered in people's faces.  The other set of fandans reckon its offensive.

They are both wrong.

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I don't know why I'm posting this but here goes.

As some or most of you know, my childhood was not the norm. This effected my education. When I left kicked out as I then 16 years old, education system passed me on to the social works department. I was in fear. I had a careers office at the time (alky Tam) I called him.

This guy set me up with 2 men (I didn;t know their status). from the British army, who manipulated me, bribed & physically abuse me in a 4 hour meeting. Worst was they spoke about my mother & father and how I let them down. They knew about my father & me, they gave me hell. Reverse Psychology at it's greatest.

I didn't join.

I got a job in the local council,  the rest is fairytale^_^

:lol::lol:

The Daily Mail has exploded with rage :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3897266/FIFA-official-poppy-ban-five-months-experience-football.html

My Favourite Quote: "

Gemzz, Lancs, United Kingdom, less than a minute ago

OUT WITH FIFA, OUT WITH THE EU!!!!!!

There's a thing in George Square which, as best as I could tell since I didn't want to get too close to the crowd in front taking pictures, seems to be a bronze coloured statue of a WWI soldier inside a big plexiglass pyramid which has poppies inside which get blown around like a big pointy snowglobe. Presumably anyone who thinks it's a good idea (to spend money on that rather than, erm, putting it to charitable use are unaware of the huge cenotaph which takes up the bottom 5th of the area.

6 hours ago, renton said:

The thing about the Poppies and Rememberance, originally was that the sentiment was 'lest we forget' - not just the lives lost but the attitudes, the decisions that led to all out industrialised slaughter in the first place.

Fields Marshall Earl Haig set up the Earl Haig Fund to remember the decisions that led to all out industrial slaughter?

The late 20s and 30s was full of people for whom the memory of war was one of utter futility,

Futility?No projection of modern values here then.

where kids walk around in T-shirts with "future soldier" written on them,

Never seen one. 

where the respect due to soldiers has morphed into reverence and almost into full scale worship.

Bollox. You are laying it on a bit thick, but playing the home crowds favourite tunes. 

2 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Fields Marshall Earl Haig set up the Earl Haig Fund to remember the decisions that led to all out industrial slaughter?

Futility?No projection of modern values here then.

Never seen one. 

Bollox. You are laying it on a bit thick, but playing the home crowds favourite tunes. 

I'm well aware of who set up the poppy fund, Haig of course was a national hero who's reputation took a hammering in the years succeeding his death (even if there was little else he could've done than what he did during the war).  However, i'd argue that from the famous pacifist oxford debates to appeasement itself there reflected an appetite to avoid another blood letting and that the notion of the futility of the first war was far from a projection of modern values but rather was a contemporary attitude in many sections of society right up to the 2nd war.

As for the rest, yeah I seen one on facebook this morning, as for reverence, I believe that's certainly reflected in modern attitudes to soldiers - probably stemming from the Falklands: begun as a pride in "the empire striking back" at a time when the UK was the sick man of Europe. Morphing through the noughties and pushed relentlessly through the right wing press and lately by blatant facebook clicktivism.

Quick q and I don't know the answer....

So, no googling folks.

Q/

When was the last time the UK was 'at War'?

Falklands wasn't one from memory, neither was Vietnam, don't think Suez was, so maybe Korea?

Awaits one of our learned heroes to reply..

The Independent reporting that England will ignore FIFA's ruling. A quick skim through the comments suggest that many people think FIFA is run by Muslims.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-poppy-ban-england-scotland-fa-players-will-wear-remembrance-day-a7393591.html

Lest we forget...what exactly?

Edited by Shotgun
Added the link

9 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Gulf war 1?

Doubt it that a Declaration of War event happened there tbh.

Annnnd Scotland & En@land to defy Fifa.

I hope Infantina throws them both out (we're not qualifying anyways).