The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

25 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I don't remember Poppy's on football shirts in the 70's, 80's even the 90's, serious question when did this become the norm for games before or on armistice day?

In recent years the two-minutes' silence wasn't observed on the 11th itself (unless it was a Sunday) until the 1990s. 

1 hour ago, Njord said:

Lol, aye Vietnam was a War that we sent soldiers to, but were we 'at' War.

I'm sure I vaguely remember the Falklands wasn't.

I'll google it at lunch.

"we" weren't involved in Vietnam.

Hopefully everyone who has shouted long and hard on this in favour of having the poppies (the TA pages on Facebook is in meltdown) will do their bit and chip a tenner into the fund when they buy their poppy, rather than a quid or iron last year's.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

I don't remember Poppy's on football shirts in the 70's, 80's even the 90's, serious question when did this become the norm for games before or on armistice day?

It would have been remarkably prescient if it had become the norm before armistice day.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

I'm old enough to remember buses stopping for the duration of the two minutes, as did people in the street.  That was back in the days before every issue possible becomes a reason to be an attention-seeking p***k, especially on social media.

I'm old enough to remember buses stopping for the duration of the two minutes, as did people in the street.  That was back in the days before every issue possible becomes a reason to be an attention-seeking p***k, especially on social media.

All started with the Diana hysteria. The people mewling about fifa banning the poppy are exactly the sort that were queuing outside the record shops so they could buy armfuls of that candle in the wind cd.

57 minutes ago, Njord said:

"We" as in UK?

Think we were.

Although the British army wasn't involved, there was an estimated 2000 British soldiers who fought by resigning for the British army and enlisting with the Australian and New Zealand forces. The poppy is a great way honour those brave British men who went to war, like the British Free Corps, those rascals.

48 minutes ago, dogmc said:

All started with the Diana hysteria. The people mewling about fifa banning the poppy are exactly the sort that were queuing outside the record shops so they could buy armfuls of that candle in the wind cd.

Princess Diana's funeral is the first and probably the last I will ever laugh out loud at. My mate and me were sitting watching it on the telly and when the hearse appeared through the gates into the public some women in the crowd shrieked a big "DIAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAAA" as if she had just lost her best mate. Stupid c**t.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

A few years ago I saw a report about a famous person who was appearing on TV near Armistice Day and turned up at Television Centre without a poppy. There was a tray of them, plus collection tin, on the reception desk so he took one without paying anything, wore it while he was on camera, then replaced it in the tray when he left the building.

No names but he was a former politician turned author.

Jeffrey Archer?

Princess Diana's funeral is the first and probably the last I will ever laugh out loud at. My mate and me were sitting watching it on the telly and when the hearse appeared through the gates into the public some women in the crowd shrieked a big "DIAAAAANNNNNNAAAAAAA" as if she had just lost her best mate. Stupid c**t.

The people who were wailing and crying were the same folk who were calling her a slag after all her affairs came to light I recall.

I dont' think people who weren't around or can't remember Diana dying will ever really appreciate how weird it was.

Peter Sissons' broke down in tears on the news.  I remember seeing footage of an HMV in London opening the day that Candle in the Wind went on sale and people were rushing in and buying armfuls of the single, dozens of CDs.  The fact that the Queen wouldn't fly the flag at half mast, give an address to the nation or go and look at flowers was a national scandal.  Every single town and city had at least one, sometimes more, public space completely filled with flowers and teddy bears.  It was absolutely insane.

According to a tweet I read today, the English Premier League started doing it in 2009.