The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Just now, eez-eh said:

What exactly is it about remembering those from other counties who have died as a result of war that makes someone an arse? Do the "sane people" that you speak of only remember the British?

Try to give a proper answer without turning into a seething mess and making it an argument about whose grammar is better. Thanks.

I think he is the target audience when the news are reporting on a tragedy and make the hundreds/thousands seem irrelevant because A BRITISH MAN WAS INJURED.  

6 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

The moment they decided to tie in the soldiers who chose to go on a suicidal trip to Afghanistan as part of the remembrance it became political. It's now a reminder of shite decision making and self-interest of past governments.

Now the first part of this is just bollocks. Last part is true about almost every conflict Britain has  been involved in.

13 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Let's be honest, a lot of people and entities in the public only wear/show one because they feel it's expected of them and there would be negative consequences for them if they didn't.

A few years ago I saw a report about a famous person who was appearing on TV near Armistice Day and turned up at Television Centre without a poppy. There was a tray of them, plus collection tin, on the reception desk so he took one without paying anything, wore it while he was on camera, then replaced it in the tray when he left the building.

No names but he was a former politician turned author.

12 hours ago, Njord said:

Quick q and I don't know the answer....

So, no googling folks.

Q/

When was the last time the UK was 'at War'?

Falklands wasn't one from memory, neither was Vietnam, don't think Suez was, so maybe Korea?

Awaits one of our learned heroes to reply..

I don't know either, I would have said The Falklands, or even Iraq (either time) but heaven knows why you stuck in Vietnam though.

England played on November 11th 1987 and didn't wear armbands or poppies or anything like that.  I'm not sure when Scotland last played on or near to the 11th but I don't remember there being any poppy on shirts before. 

This is probably me being a crochety middle aged man but I think in the last 15 years we've become a far more sentimental society, given to ostentatious displays of emotions.  We have minutes silences for all sorts of things - Glenn Hoddle's dad dying for example.  

I buy and wear a poppy but I don't think they need to be on football jerseys or armbands.  

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

England played on November 11th 1987 and didn't wear armbands or poppies or anything like that.  I'm not sure when Scotland last played on or near to the 11th but I don't remember there being any poppy on shirts before. 

This is probably me being a crochety middle aged man but I think in the last 15 years we've become a far more sentimental society, given to ostentatious displays of emotions.  We have minutes silences for all sorts of things - Glenn Hoddle's dad dying for example.  

I buy and wear a poppy but I don't think they need to be on football jerseys or armbands.  

Played on the 13th in 1999:

img_16121.jpg

Here's Paul Scholes, Sol Campbell, Colin Hendry and Christian Dailly all DISRESPECTING OUR BRAVE BOYS AND NOT SHOWING DUE RESPECT!

GIVE THEM SOLDIERS' WAGES AND MAKE THEM CALL THEIR PARENTS.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I agree, and I'm in a similar boat. Barely a week goes by without a minute's silence or applause for something. If we were that cut up about it we'd be at home sobbing, not out watching the football. 

Scotland had poppies on their armbands against Cyprus in 2011, apparently.

They took them off because the velcro wouldn't work and they kept coming loose though.

I can't say I remember any of this.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Scotland had poppies on their armbands against Cyprus in 2011, apparently.

They took them off because the velcro wouldn't work and they kept coming loose though.

I can't say I remember any of this.

I was at the game and basically yip

On 01/11/2016 at 16:57, Romeo said:

Quick question.

The soldiers who were shot by other British soldiers for being too shell shocked to "go over the top" and run into machine gun fire.

We wearing poppies for them?

Don't forget the pinning of white feathers on men not in uniform and presumed to not be fighting, and this, below. Forcing men to go and enact violence, or be killed, by preying on their sense of masculinity. Disgusting.

Great deal you got in the early 20th century - killed, maimed or PTSD, but at least some soldiers will do "the bouncy" at Ibrox for you 100 years later.

IMG_1558.JPG

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't know either, I would have said The Falklands, or even Iraq (either time) but heaven knows why you stuck in Vietnam though.

Lol, aye Vietnam was a War that we sent soldiers to, but were we 'at' War.

I'm sure I vaguely remember the Falklands wasn't.

I'll google it at lunch.

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

img_16121.jpg

Here's Paul Scholes, Sol Campbell, Colin Hendry and Christian Dailly all DISRESPECTING OUR BRAVE BOYS AND NOT SHOWING DUE RESPECT!

Looks to me like Scholes wore one but tried to cover it up when the camera was on him....

22 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Don't forget the pinning of white feathers on men not in uniform and presumed to not be fighting, and this, below. Forcing men to go and enact violence, or be killed, by preying on their sense of masculinity. Disgusting.

Great deal you got in the early 20th century - killed, maimed or PTSD, but at least some soldiers will do "the bouncy" at Ibrox for you 100 years later.

IMG_1558.JPG

The wee boy there has dressed as Velma from scooby doo

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

img_16121.jpg

I'm surprised Scholes got to that ball considering the tight man marking there.

Poor and arrogant decision by the FAs. Disappointed in the SFA lining itself up with the deplorable FA.

Scotland to ditch the poppy just before the match and England to get a 6pt deduction as punishment.

Shrewd move.